Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadglide fairing install

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 09:34 PM
XKHemi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats color is awesome! I have a Pewter Denim Fat Bob and I see very few with that color. I still think about doing a RG Shark Nose on my bike.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:02 PM
buellrider76
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry it's always something....

I had a poker run that we were hosting last Saturday so Friday night I worked until 1am and finished all the wiring. Started again at 0700 and be 1400 was ready for a test ride. Started the bike...started the bike....nothing. Only the neutral light would come on. The running lights were lit but wouldn't flash. Nothing else was even on. I walked away before I kicked it over.

A few days later I pulled the tank back off thinking that maybe the short was in the left handlebar control since everything runs through that side. I pulled the wiring out from under the neck and one by one disconnected the connectors trying to narrow it down. As I continued to pull the wiring out I noticed a three wire connector with 10 gauge wires in the bundle. WTF!? Well it turns out that I disconnected the ignition connector. Warning, this is impossible to see inside the neck. So by feel I finally got it plugged back in and viola everything came on.

Well almost everything....

The headlights didn't work and the speedo had no input. I started with the speedo. Long story short, I wired it wrong. Took me three days and two trips to the dealership to figure it out. Anyone pulling the speedo or tach connectors apart be aware that the pin numbers are on the outside black cover part that you remove to pin/de-pin the connector.

So with that fixed I hastily put the tank back on and started to bolt it down. Guess what....

The bolt through the mounting bracket sparked!

I checked the wiring for chaffs or frays but didn't see anything. I did the redneck test and touched it again and sure enough it sparked. So I got out my multimeter and started checking for 12 volts. The voltage is only in the fairing. Everything metal inside the fairing as well as the fairing bracket register 12 volts. My gut instinct tells me that once I pull it all back apart and figure out why my headlights don't work I will find out why I have 12 volts to ground inside the fairing.

Right now I am dealing with a sailor that passed away so I haven't had time to deal with the bike but once I get back to it I will post more.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:11 PM
buellrider76
Tourer

This is the mess of wires that comes out of the neck on the left side.

left and right hand control<br/>left and right blinker<br/>the loop in the background is the cable to the ignition. <br/>all of this fits inside a pocket in the neck.

The clabling leading into the fairing. all this has to be routed around the bracket that holds the fairing on.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:29 PM
Super08
Supporter
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

It sounds like somehow the circuit for the headlight ended up being wired to ground. I am curious to see what it is when you find the problem.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:06 AM
buellrider76
Tourer
Default It's done!

Tore it all back apart this weekend and figured out that the left hand controls plug was wrong. I had the blue wire switched with a ground. The is the 12 volts in to the headlight switch on the handlebars. The yellow or white will show 12 volts depending on switch position. Got that switched and LIGHTS!
I was still reading 12 volts to ground through the radio and amp so I went through all the connections and resoldered the power from the battery. I got everything to work but still not sure what the issue was. After we put the fairing back on and tightened everything down the radio wouldn't power on. Lights work, controls work and the indicators are reading more or less normal. I had to put it on the charger to get it started as we had run down the battery messing with everything and turning it on and off so much. I ran it down the road and the radio came on. It's worked ever since..... Maybe it has a voltage threshold...?

I've ridden it three times now for 50-60 miles. Really liking the fairing! I get a little buffet at 70 but it smooths back out at 80. Definitely like the look. Already had someone "correct" me when I posted that I had completed my Roadbob. He let me know that it was a Roadglide, FLTRX.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:23 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Nice job. Looks great. I seen a metric yesterday with the road glide nose on it. Had me fooled until I looked at the motor.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:38 AM
Vonswanko
Road Master
Received 114 Likes on 65 Posts

Wow! That came out great!

Old 08-24-2015, 05:37 PM
Super08
Supporter
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Glad that you got the electrical issues sorted out. You have yourself a one of a kind masterpiece, congrats.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:52 PM
AdamM
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Great job! Glad to hear you got everything working. I love that color, goes great with your bike

Old 08-26-2015, 09:42 AM
buellrider76
Tourer

Just a quick update. I love this fairing! The beating my body used to take is gone and the bikes seems to ride smoother as well. I thought it would take a little getting used to with having something in front of me but it feels like it's always been part of the bike. LOVE IT!

Quick Reply: Roadglide fairing install