Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

powder tubes between trees

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 08:13 PM
apetterez
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default powder tubes between trees

I know ive been posting a lot recently. But im unemployeed right now and have all the time in the world to research and wrench on my bike.

Either way my question is if i powder coat my fork tubes sliders and triple trees will there be an issue getting the tubes back into the trees? Obviously i csnt coat the area under the trees for suspension travel. But whag about the area between the trees? Can i have that coated?

Also do the tubes and sliders need to be taken apart to powder them.i assume yes because the high temp will melt the washers. If i need to take them apart how do i do so?

Old 04-14-2015, 08:22 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Make

Make a set of tubes that fit over your fork tubes between the triple trees. Your measurement must be exact and there must be some sort of collapsible material to "Crush" because your trees are pushed together (top to bottom) as you tighten your headset bearings. I have seen some of these available for sale if you look.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:23 PM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah they have to come apart for powder coat. You need a factory service manual, they're well worth the money if you're going to work on your own bike. I doubt anyone is going to type out an entire how to procedure on disassembling and reassembling the front forks.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:26 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You can powder the upper tubes and trees and maybe get some of those rubber dust covers to hide the lower part of the tubes to mask the fact they haven't been powdered.
You should def take them apart, but there is way too much info needed to write it all down here.
I wonder if you have a manual yet with all the things your doing to her, all the information and specs are in the book.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:33 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 757 Likes on 523 Posts

I just ran across a thread today (I've looked and can't find which one it was), somebody posted assembly/disassembly sheets from Moco on the forks.
I'm sure the thread is on the first or second page but I can't remember which thread it was. Pics and instructions.

Maybe somebody will know and post it.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:36 PM
apetterez
Road Captain

Originally Posted by maddghost
You can powder the upper tubes and trees and maybe get some of those rubber dust covers to hide the lower part of the tubes to mask the fact they haven't been powdered.
You should def take them apart, but there is way too much info needed to write it all down here.
I wonder if you have a manual yet with all the things your doing to her, all the information and specs are in the book.
So even with the powder u wouldnt have an issue gettint the tubes into the trees?

Old 04-14-2015, 08:38 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Only way to do tubes is some dlc coating I believe its called. You could also find a plating shop and see about anodizing. Won't last long though. Some things are just best left alone.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:51 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by apetterez
So even with the powder u wouldnt have an issue gettint the tubes into the trees?
Originally Posted by slyedog
Only way to do tubes is some dlc coating I believe its called. You could also find a plating shop and see about anodizing. Won't last long though. Some things are just best left alone.
I thought about it before I wrote and I think you can loosen up the trees enough to slide them ini but I'm not sure some of the new powder wouldn't flake off and leave you tubes loosened by deffault. You might get away with plastidip but it will not look anywhere near as sharp. And if you don't like it , it will peel right off afterwards.
Perhaps sleyedog is right though.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:57 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

If you are going to take them apart just to halfway powder them, why don't you do Diamond Like Coating on the entire thing? It's on my list for eventually if I have to tear down my forks for a rebuild.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:53 PM
apetterez
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jmeiers
If you are going to take them apart just to halfway powder them, why don't you do Diamond Like Coating on the entire thing? It's on my list for eventually if I have to tear down my forks for a rebuild.
Because the last guy i talked to about dlc coating qouted me like 650 for the tubes.....any other thoughts?

Quick Reply: powder tubes between trees