Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Air Cleaner is This?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 06:07 PM
oldbikenut
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Air Cleaner is This?

This is what was under the standard air cleaner football cover on an '03 Dyna I just acquired. The filter that I took off of it looks exactly like a Stage I Big Sucker, except it's not red. The backing plate attaches to the chrome carb support bracket by the two flathead Torx screws at the top. Plain old rubber tubing runs from the holes in the backing plate to banjo fittings on the head breathers.

Is this just an older version of the Big Sucker?

Attached Thumbnails What Air Cleaner is This?-001.jpg  
Old 04-12-2015, 06:37 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

That's the back plate from an old HD 1340 Evolution A/C, I've run them on an '03 Wide Glide and an '05 NightTrain, they work great. The part numbers are no longer listed but a dealer might be able to look it up from an old catalog so you can get the proper gasket and filter for it...

Old 04-12-2015, 08:58 PM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

looks identical to mine, I think it's the SE version? IDK, I bought my bike used too.. I'm not sure whats going on with the crank vent breather bolts though, usually there are hoses in those 2 holes going though the back plate for the crank vent return to spit into the carb.. You should block those holes some how so unfiltered air doesn;t suck in through them..

post a pic from the top so we can see what's going on with the Crank Vent Breather..

Old 04-13-2015, 06:21 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

I thought about it last night and remembered we found the kit listed in the Screaming Eagle Evo catalog, I remember it uses a K&N style HD marked air filter that's washable but not oiled, the filter element has 3 holes for mounting the filter to the end of the bolts that mount the plate to the carb, the A/C cover is mounted to the center hole in the air filter element and it uses a gasket on the back of the plate. I blocked the 2 holes in the plate and used an external horseshoe breather.

I found an auction for the kit on eBay, you can see the parts in the images, this kit has the holes blocked and a horseshoe breather and you can see the gasket in the images: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVID...-/261765865628

Edit:

The air filter element looked like this one but it was grey material and marked HD with the part number on it... I wish I'd have written the number down

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 04-13-2015 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:23 PM
oldbikenut
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The air cleaner element has the bar and shield logo stamped on it. It also says its for use with the twin cam air cleaner cover. No part numbers tho. It looks exactly like the element from the stage I Big Sucker except for the color. I would almost bet they'll interchange. I may try that if I ever need a new element.

I found some vacuum hose at the local auto parts store to replace the deteriorated hoses running from the banjo fittings on each head through the holes in the back plate.
This AC is identical to the one in the evilbay ad except that it has the two individual banjo fittings instead of the horseshoe breather.

Like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVID...ad475e&vxp=mtr

I guess this is an old Screamin Eagle stage I kit. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by oldbikenut; 04-13-2015 at 06:08 PM.