Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

switching from forwards to mids question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 11:21 PM
Foxknuckle
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default switching from forwards to mids question

I have a 2013 fxdbp that has factory forward controls on it. Im going to install mids and know that I need all the mid parts and an outer primary cover. I also think I need a new inner primary as well.... However, Ive heard that you can just drill a hole in the inner primary and all is good. Can anyone tell me if this is true? It would be nice to not have to buy a new inner primary cover.

Thanks

Old 04-05-2015, 11:26 PM
OG1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxknuckle
I have a 2013 fxdbp that has factory forward controls on it. Im going to install mids and know that I need all the mid parts and an outer primary cover. I also think I need a new inner primary as well.... However, Ive heard that you can just drill a hole in the inner primary and all is good. Can anyone tell me if this is true? It would be nice to not have to buy a new inner primary cover.

Thanks
Yes you can there is a boss in the casting that just needs drilled out. You still need to remove the inner primary though to install the shift shaft so get the gaskets and sealing bolts.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:28 PM
Foxknuckle
Cruiser

Good news! thanks

Old 04-06-2015, 05:33 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Here is a link to my thread on going to mids:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-mids-mod.html

Old 04-06-2015, 05:42 PM
Foxknuckle
Cruiser

HD Pilot thanks for the link, that was a great write up you did. Have you had any ill effects not putting the bushing in the inner primary?

Old 04-06-2015, 08:12 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Foxknuckle
HD Pilot thanks for the link, that was a great write up you did. Have you had any ill effects not putting the bushing in the inner primary?
None. Wish I had not let it slow me down.

Really love the mod, feels way better to me - more control and less feet dragging!

Old 04-07-2015, 01:20 AM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
Here is a link to my thread on going to mids:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-mids-mod.html
HD,
Love my conversion to mids. I did have to remove and drill the inner. I did put in the bushing. I also had to put in the shorter shifter lever.
I used further forward mid controls- like they have on the new Low Rider. You can get most everything from Ebay including the bushing. Also don't forget the rubber bushing between the foot lever and the outer primary. Have had no oil leaks. Wish I had been savey enough to order mid controls when I first bought new.
Roger

Old 04-07-2015, 08:37 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by rogersachs
HD,
Love my conversion to mids. I did have to remove and drill the inner. I did put in the bushing. I also had to put in the shorter shifter lever.
I used further forward mid controls- like they have on the new Low Rider. You can get most everything from Ebay including the bushing. Also don't forget the rubber bushing between the foot lever and the outer primary. Have had no oil leaks. Wish I had been savey enough to order mid controls when I first bought new.
Roger
I think I read about every post you made on converting to mids before I did my conversion! I have that bushing, just did not install it, could not really see a need but curious if you installed it yourself or had a shop do it - it does require a precisely drilled inner primary. Yeah I got that rubber bushing installed.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:59 PM
bigalsd
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to do the exact opposite. I have a 2007 FXD that I want to put forwards on. I bought the kit, but I really don't want to fill both the inner and outer primary with plugs. I did some cross referencing and it looks like they are the same primaries (as long as the 2013 FXDB and FXDBP are the same).

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...079406--1#tabs

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...076406--1#tabs

Do you have any interest in swapping?