Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Fat Boy or 2015 Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 12:30 PM
mrmikeinga
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Fat Boy or 2015 Street Bob

I am getting back into riding after 20 plus years and I was really liking the 2015 Street Bob until the Harley Dealership showed me a new 2014 Soft Tail Fat Bob (21 miles) for under $15k. It's the color I want and has pretty much what I want initially. I feel that bike might be a little too much for me but the price seems to be really good compared to the Street Bob. By the time I got the items I want on the Street Bob the price rose to little mote than $17k.

I understand you should get what feels good and the Street Bob felt real good but should I opt for the Fat Boy because of the price and knowing that I will get used to it and probably love once my fears settle down?

Thanks

Old 03-24-2015, 01:01 PM
Odin510
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you ride either?

Old 03-24-2015, 01:05 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 757 Likes on 523 Posts

Ah, a riddle, see if this helps.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:02 PM
mrmikeinga
6th Gear

I plan to test drive them this weekend and I know a lot has to do with the feel but I was curious as what the opinion was. I will be a first Harley owner.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:32 PM
wilddave
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

What kind of riding do you plan to do? I have always liked the fat boy, but the softails aren't known for their cornering abilities. You really need to ride both to decide.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:47 PM
Odin510
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with wild dave. I have a street bob and my best friend has a fat boy. I'll give you my take on both. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. Both bikes are fine height wise. To me, the bob is more responsive. It's only about 30 lbs lighter. Dyna's have a higher center of gravity, so a softail may feel easier to control if you're short. When I ride his fatboy, it feels like anything I try to do takes longer. Another thing to consider...if you like chrome, the fatboy is chromed out, the bob is a better canvas for blacking out. If you have any specific questions, ask! Ultimately, riding both will give you an obvious answer. One will fit like a glove and another will feel horrible.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:48 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 757 Likes on 523 Posts

Well that's pretty cool getting your first HD, you are soon to be too cool

Keep in mind that many, many of us have had to change the seat to make them comfortable, so do some reading here in the forum of seats.

You won't have to right away but keep that in mind when you are riding them.
A little seat swap makes a world of difference.

Dyna riders are cool, FatBoy riders eat worms and bathe in gas station bathrooms out of choice, but not trying to sway you one way or the other.

That's the word on the street anyway.

Good luck

Old 03-24-2015, 05:34 PM
mrmikeinga
6th Gear

I'm really appreciating the feedback. I'll be doing mainly weekend rides, perhaps the entire weekend, and occasionally ride it to work. I'm not big on chrome. I love the black out look but when I priced it out on the HD site with black out options with black rims, seat and shield, the price went to around $17k. My thinking is that if I order what I want up front I won't be paying for an extra seat or wheels, thus saving some bucks done the road. I love the black the black rims.

I have done my analysis to paralysis. Read different forums (like this forum the best) and reviews on bikes and learning why people chose their bikes, seats, shields, etc. As I mentioned when I sat on the Street Bob it felt great. When I say on the Fat Boy I felt a little intimidated (not sure why, it just felt a lot bigger) but that feeling will subside. When I think about price on the Fat Bob, I feel I'm getting a steal and wouldn't lose any appreciation when I drive it off the loft.

It sounds like I'm just trying to convince myself to go for the FB simply because of price but I really want is a bike I will keep for years and not trade in in a year or two.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:35 PM
mrmikeinga
6th Gear

That Charcoal Pearl Bob look bad ***!

Old 03-24-2015, 07:02 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

If it's a Fatboy Lo.... take it. I want one for a 2nd bike that I plan to make look like my Street Bob. As much as I love my Street Bob, that hard tail look of the Fatboy is hard to pass up and the rear fender options are endless compared to the Dyna.

Quick Reply: 2014 Fat Boy or 2015 Street Bob