Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

entire motor filled with gas. how screwed am i?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 09:44 AM
stephenhelsel
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default entire motor filled with gas. how screwed am i?

Went out to go for ride and move the bike out into the driveway. Went to turn in over and gas shot out of the tailpipe...not a little either! Pulled the oil cap and its filled with gas. Can i just drain all the oil and refill or am i really screwed?!

The 1 time i didn't turn the fuel off....

Old 03-21-2015, 09:58 AM
motorend
Cruiser
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

Your probably fine. Just drain the oil and refill. Also remove your air cleaner and clean your intake and filter. When I bought my harley brand new (2014), gas seeped down into the oil from short start ups. So after leaving it caused the oil to spurt out of the intake all down the side of the bike. They explained it was from months of short start ups moving around the parking lot and that gas seeped down into the oil. Then when the bike reaches temperature it expands and was pushed out the breathers. Chances are your filter is saturated as was mine. They drained it, refilled it, replaced the air cleaner and everything was fine.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:00 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 577 Likes on 318 Posts

Id say it would take a couple times of draining and filling with oil at the very least. Im sure someone will chime in on this one who knows more than me.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:07 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I had this exact same thing happen with a Kawasaki I had years ago. Change out the oil and filter. no problem. Then in my case also change out the petcock so it never happens again.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:08 AM
Junior_co
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the gas in the engine will break down the oil... Cycle new oil in and run for a few minutes and then repeat the process. I'd go at least 3-4 times. You can get away with using cheap oil for this process, but go back to factory specs before running the engine at normal capacity

That's what I'd do anyway...

Junior

Old 03-21-2015, 10:09 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm a little leary that the motor filled up because the petcock was left open. I don't know too much about carbs but would the flooding not suggest that your floats are stuck in the open position?

Old 03-21-2015, 10:11 AM
rsking45
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I would drain,refill and run for a few minutes and repeat to make sure the gas is out and see whats happens. Use cheap oil for the fill and run and drain. I think you will be ok

Old 03-21-2015, 10:23 AM
stephenhelsel
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys...just drained it. Gonna run up and grab oil now..

Old 03-21-2015, 10:45 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

First step:
Remove the plugs, and crank it over until no more gas comes out the spark plug holes.
Hopefully, when you tried to crank it over the first time, there wasn't enough fuel in the cylinders to hydraulic the engine and break or bend parts.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:48 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,322 Likes on 3,178 Posts

All these suggestions were good, except the petcock's not the problem. It's the float in the bottom of the carb. It's suppose to raise and close the fuel off. there must have been a small piece of crud in there. Drop the float bowl and clean it.
then start shutting the petcock off EVERY TIME you finish with a ride and are going to leave it for more than a few hours.
Don't ask how I know. Live and learn.

Quick Reply: entire motor filled with gas. how screwed am i?