Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

entire motor filled with gas. how screwed am i?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 10:08 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 192 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ss313
Carbs are like exhausts. Everyone has their favorites. That stock carb can be tuned to run just as well as any other with a little work. If you want the Mikuni by all means get it but don't think that it won't be subject to the same kind of failure.
I too believe that the stock carb can be tuned good. But, if you want the Mikuni then now is the time to get it in my opinion. If you are going to take the carb in to be worked, then you might end up close to the price anyway, but I'm not sure.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:53 AM
stephenhelsel
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
I too believe that the stock carb can be tuned good. But, if you want the Mikuni then now is the time to get it in my opinion. If you are going to take the carb in to be worked, then you might end up close to the price anyway, but I'm not sure.
Thats basically about it...i understand how well your able to tune the stock carb, and someone else implied that i didnt think the same thing could happen with the mikuni, its a carb. They are all subject to the same problems.... In the long wrong i just wanted to go with the Mikuni. So instead of rebuilding the stock one then buying the mikuni later i am just gonna buy it now..

Thanks everybody for the the help. I ordered the mikuni last night after it flooding a 3rd time and it should be here friday.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:42 AM
Riffraff123
Road Captain
Received 298 Likes on 160 Posts

If you're gonna toss that carb, let me know.......

Old 03-23-2015, 08:24 AM
stephenhelsel
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Riffraff123
If you're gonna toss that carb, let me know.......
I'll get back to you later this evening after work but i believe i have 2 stock carbs.. this one and one my dad gave me off his electricglide..

Old 03-23-2015, 09:28 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 192 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by stephenhelsel
Thats basically about it...i understand how well your able to tune the stock carb, and someone else implied that i didnt think the same thing could happen with the mikuni, its a carb. They are all subject to the same problems.... In the long wrong i just wanted to go with the Mikuni. So instead of rebuilding the stock one then buying the mikuni later i am just gonna buy it now..

Thanks everybody for the the help. I ordered the mikuni last night after it flooding a 3rd time and it should be here friday.

Let us all know how this turns out. Now you just have to wait til Friday.....

Old 03-23-2015, 10:43 AM
gomiller2
Tourer

I have a 99roadking carbed stock carb stock petcock I have never turned off the petcock in 16 years never had any issues and I guess I wont start shutting it off now.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:09 AM
stephenhelsel
Cruiser

I'll let u guys know how it goes.gonna buy enough oil to flush it out about 3 times this weekend.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:11 PM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gomiller2
I have a 99roadking carbed stock carb stock petcock I have never turned off the petcock in 16 years never had any issues and I guess I wont start shutting it off now.
With a non-auto petcock, I would not rely only on your floats for just the reason the OP found. Stuff gets in the carb and can hold open the valve. Depending on your year, Harley carb petcocks shut themselves...and are vacuum operated. if you have an aftermarket petcock...then yes, you need to turn it off. You can test that the auto-shutoff of a vacuum operated Harley petcock is working by disconnecting the fuel line at the petcock. Only the fuel in the line should come out, even if the petcock is in the "on" position. If fuel continues to come out of the petcock, the valve is stuck open. replace it. to test if the valve is working properly, apply a little vacuum to the port/line and the fuel should start flowing. A problem with a Harley petcock is when the vacuum diaphragm breaks...you cant get any fuel through it. I had one on my 98 sporty fail and replaced with a Pingle. of course I had to retrain myself to turn off the fuel.

Last edited by DesertDyna; 03-23-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:32 PM
stephenhelsel
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DesertDyna
With a non-auto petcock, I would not rely only on your floats for just the reason the OP found. Stuff gets in the carb and can hold open the valve. Depending on your year, Harley carb petcocks shut themselves...and are vacuum operated. if you have an aftermarket petcock...then yes, you need to turn it off. You can test that the auto-shutoff of a vacuum operated Harley petcock is working by disconnecting the fuel line at the petcock. Only the fuel in the line should come out, even if the petcock is in the "on" position. If fuel continues to come out of the petcock, the valve is stuck open. replace it. to test if the valve is working properly, apply a little vacuum to the port/line and the fuel should start flowing. A problem with a Harley petcock is when the vacuum diaphragm breaks...you cant get any fuel through it. I had one on my 98 sporty fail and replaced with a Pingle. of course I had to retrain myself to turn off the fuel.

The previous owner of my bike bypassed the vacuum and replaced the petcock because he had a few buddies stuck on the side of the road because of it......and is why my bike flooded....lol...guess what I'm always gonna do when i shut the bike off now? Lol

Old 03-24-2015, 09:12 AM
gomiller2
Tourer

+1 desert dyna that makes sence he has a after market petcock.

Quick Reply: entire motor filled with gas. how screwed am i?