Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork Oil Change, Before & After...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 10:02 AM
Beagle1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fork Oil Change, Before & After...

Here's my story...Changed to SE fork oil after the front end was banging and klunking last fall. So this spring it was riding AWESOME. Until...I hit a really hard bump while riding 2-up a few weeks ago. Now it's back to banging and klunking over bumps and I can bury the front end on hard braking again. Prior to the hard bump I could brake hard and more controlled.

Now I'm thinking some springs AND a fork brace. Yesterday on my way home from work at 75mph in the wind I swear I could see the forks twisting, as the bars were staying straight but the wheel was working back & forth.

Looking for spring recommendations. And feedback on if I should do front & rear both? The bike rides better with 2 people on it FWIW.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:25 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Fork Oil Change, Before & After...

Is that you in the black hat? I wouldn't think that the little gal in the white hat would make would make much difference in the 2-up handling.

I just installed the Race Tech Caddies fork kit...springs and emulator. I haven't had any real time on them to be able to tell you much, but like everything else, I've heard a lot of good things about them.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:34 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

The wide glides have a history of a "clunking" noise in their front end.I don't know if folks with '06 and newer are having the problem as well. I know the "fix" for '05 and earlier is to tighten the stem nut.
That being said, the symptom of dumping the front end after hitting the bump doesn't really sound good, and that was not a part of the above mentioned issue.

I have Progressive springs in my '05 wg and am taking them out. I have a set of Race Tech springs ready to go in (they are straight rate, not progressive). I also have the gold valve cartridge emulators.
I have heard nothing but good things about the Race Tech suspension products. Give the folks there a call. If you do go with new srpings from them, don't trust their online calculator... talk to their techs there and tell them what kind of riding you do, how much you weigh, etc... they will get the right spring for you.
http://www.racetech.com/

Old 04-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Beagle1
Road Captain

No, that's my wife in the Black Hat. When her and I ride together it rides nice. With my daughter there's no difference of course.

I had the whole front end apart this past March. Checked the stem nut, the fall away, changed fork oil, inspected everything aligned the engine, axles, etc. Like I said, it was okay until AFTER a real hard bump. Now it's just like it was before. Which leads me to believe something in the forks is not right.

I found out a new co-worker has a friend that is an HD tech at one of the better local Detroit stealers. I may have him do the Race Tech kit on the side. My research is pointing to the Emulators as being the fix for this issue.

I will definitely take the advice and call a Tech. Michigan roads SUCK and I need to get a suspension package correct for it to work the best it can.

Thanks for the input.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:09 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I'm a huge of race tech valves, I don't think that's the problem. The problem only appeared after suffering trauma. Therefore, throwing aftermarket parts at it will not fix the problem.

Before doing anything, I would remove the neck bearings, clean, inspect, and repack. Re-install using factory specs. Then, add 1/8th of a turn to the neck bearing nut. Install the upper triple tree per spec.

The problem should be at least back to where it was before the trauma; but probably a little better. Now you can add the valves. Be sure and add a little extra fork oil - usually about an ounce.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:40 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree...fork component shouldn't affect the clunk...most likely the WG clunk.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:32 PM
stevieg
Road Warrior

Beagle,
I'm glad you mentioned that was your wife in the black hat. On another thread involving EFI vs carbs you (I now realize!) had some very insightful, technical thoughts on the issue. I kept reading them thinking.....wow.....she's smart.....AND attractive. I was impressed!
Don't get me wrong, I'm still impressed.....but a little disappointed.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:13 AM
Beagle1
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: bobcowan

Although I'm a huge of race tech valves, I don't think that's the problem. The problem only appeared after suffering trauma. Therefore, throwing aftermarket parts at it will not fix the problem.

Before doing anything, I would remove the neck bearings, clean, inspect, and repack. Re-install using factory specs. Then, add 1/8th of a turn to the neck bearing nut. Install the upper triple tree per spec.

The problem should be at least back to where it was before the trauma; but probably a little better. Now you can add the valves. Be sure and add a little extra fork oil - usually about an ounce.
Bob, The trauma was there from the day I received the bike. I did manage to stop it for a couple hundred miles by changing the oil to the SE HD oil. Otherwise, as of right now it is back to where it was from day one, not worse.

I will gladly take your advice. But one thing...can you tell me how much oil is supposed to be in a 06 DWG fork? The manual is full of crap! I did one fork, had it set to fill, added oil per the MANUAL and it was way off. I could tell by how much I took out and where it was filled to that something didn't look right.

So I drained the other fork and measured the amount of oil that came out AND the fill level with dial calipers BEFORE I drained the oil out. The manual was off about 1.375" and 3 oz oil.

I figure the 2006 Manual was still spec'd out for 42mm Forks, not 49. Maybe V-Rod specs would be better? I will go on the record saying that the Factory HD Service Manuals are 50% USELESS. As someone that has written service manuals and technician training material in previous jobs, I feel I am qualified to make that statement. Maybe that's why HD in Milwaukee has openings for Technical Writers?

FWIW, my buddy that is a real bike nut stopped by today to look over my forks. He played with the front end, checked the fall away, etc. etc. He feels the forks are valved way off for the weight of the DWG. He isn't a suspension rookie by any means. Runs at many of the big road courses on his ricers. He held his hand on the tubes while I cycled the forks up & down and then had me do it. There is a definite pronounced klunk in the fork. But he will not dismiss the stem nut as also being not tight enough after 3000 miles. He also believes a bearing repack and adjusment is in order WITH the Race Tech stuff (which he uses exclusively).

stevieg, sorry to let you down. Today's her 40th birthday though.