Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to a Road King

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 10:47 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats on the Road King. They are a nice bike. You'll enjoy the ride for sure...

Old 03-08-2015, 11:34 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Congrats. The RK is my favorite HD after the FXR/DYNA/SPORTY. Too big and heavy for me to enjoy as a daily rider, especially as I get "older", but I'd love one to take my son touring with. The Fatbob gets it done, but more two-up room would be nice on the long hauls.

As I get older I've been enjoying smaller and simpler as a general rule, but the RK sure is a nice comfy ride. One of the best looking HDs on the floor.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:35 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,769 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by Reddog01
Hey, I'm glad you posted this, and please allow me to piggyback on your post. Like you, I am getting older (almost 65), and I am currently riding a Sportster. There's nothing wrong with my current bike, except I seem to feel every bump in the small of my back. I am a big guy (265 lbs.), and I am pondering moving to a larger bike. I test drove a Switchback a couple of days ago, and I really liked it. It pretty much handled like my Sportster, but offered a MUCH smoother ride. I purposely hit every manhole cover i could to see how it felt. Also, the footboards were very comfortable to me, and particularly comfortable on my (sometimes) gimpy right knee. My current bike has a windshield and saddlebags, and I really want those on my next bike.

Here's the question: Because the Switchback was first released in 2012, the price of used models are still fairly high. That's fair, because they have the latest technology and most have very few miles on them. I have found that if I am willing to look at a Road King that is a few years older, I can get a Road King at about the same price point. I have not ridden a Road King yet, so I was wondering about the perceived ride difference between the Switchback and the Road King. I can look up all of the specifications, but what I can't get from specification sheets is folk's perception between the two bikes. Can anyone help with this?

Also, what year did the Road King move to fuel injection and the 103 engine?
As the owner of a Switchback, and also test rode a 2014 RK in the buying process, I'll lend my $.02

Out of the box, the RK has better suspension, and especially brakes. It will have better cornering clearance by a couple of degrees. The hard bags are about 1/3 larger on the RK. I thought it rode very well. It has a 6 gallon tank which splays your legs wide.

Having said that, the FLD is about 100lbs lighter. There is no question, the FLD is more agile and that 100lbs difference is noticed, at least for me. I've had the FLD for a 1.5 years. I went into the purchase knowing I'd be upgrading ergo's, suspension, brakes and engine. It's turning into a great bike that can do a lot. I've taken it on a 2,6xx mile tour over a week (including the Dragon) and had no complaints. No regrets on the purchase and never thought I should have gotten the RK instead.

By the way, I'm 6' 34" inseam.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:32 AM
Turret_plug
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The RK is a great bike..... I miss my street glide already..... My Army ankles just can't take the weight any longer or I'd still be riding it. You're gonna love your RK, cruise control, no wind..... Enjoy, you're always welcome back to the tiny bike forum. Be careful!

Old 03-09-2015, 09:02 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,904 Likes on 861 Posts

I'm 64, well I will be in June, and I've owned two Electra Glides and a Road King Classic. By far, the MOST COMFORTABLE bike I've owned is my Super Glide Custom with forward controls. I'm just not a "you'll eventually end up on a bagger" believer. I owned several, and didn't care for them. Of course, as a guy who's been riding since the '60's, I grew up on motorcycles without all the bells and whistles we have today. As people say about baggers..."why not just take your car and roll down your windows?" or "I wanted a motorcycle, not a set of luggage on wheels". LOL Anyway, my FXDC does just about everything I want a motorcycle to do, and it's not a two wheeled Winnebago. However, that's just MY opinion. You ride what you like. DON'T listen to everyone telling you that you NEED a bagger! Just be sure a touring bike IS what YOU want. It wasn't for me.

Last edited by hd4evr2008; 03-09-2015 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:22 AM
canyonwlf7
Cruiser
Received 77 Likes on 19 Posts

I own both, a 2014 road king and a 2014 low rider, I prefer the low rider, it's the weight, I don't like the extra weight of the road king, with the road king floor boards you don't stretch out as much as you think

Old 03-09-2015, 10:54 AM
Hdclassic4466
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best of luck

I kind of have both. Having rode an Electra glide for 10 years, I picked up a Dyna Super Glide last year. I find myself riding the Dyna more on a daily basis than the EG now. The weight difference, handling and performance (Big Bore 95") makes me smile when I ride it a little bit More than the EG. Don't get me wrong, if I'm going to ride any distance, the EG is like a leather recliner on wheels, I wouldn't trade her for nothing....both have their advantages/disadvantages. I think you will enjoy the RK. Best of luck.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:41 PM
Joe S.
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations on the RK. I got a 14 last year and still have my '01 FXD.
Both are fine machines, certainly they have differences, pros and cons if you will, but both provide a lot of enjoyment.
I considered the Switchback but was disappointed by the small windscreen, single disc brake and (at that time) lack of cruise control. I also considered buying a newer Super Glide and simply building my own version of a touring Dyna but figured I would have something I would like but no one would want to buy a few years down the line.
Bike buying is always tough, trying to find the one that fits your needs best and needs the least screwing around with to be happy with. I think I hit it fairly close with the RK but i'm glad I still have my FXD too.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:10 PM
MetalSpike
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Congratulations on your new king. You're going to absolutely love it.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:19 PM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First year of Fuel injection on Road Kings was 1996 I believe, first year for the 103 engine, standard was 2012 though it was available on Police madels prior to that.

Quick Reply: Going to a Road King