Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much to expect for bar installation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015 | 03:48 PM
chrisingram10
|
2nd Gear
Default How much to expect for bar installation?

Just bought LA Chopper 13" apes for my 13' SB. Assuming I dont have to change out the cables, how much can I expect to pay for this?

Cue the "just do it yourself" comments...If I could, I would.

Also, if I wanted to do internal wiring with this size bar, would I need new cables?

Thanks!

Old 03-05-2015 | 04:09 PM
enodrano
Road Captain

DIY is pretty easy if you don't need cables. The hardest part will be getting to the connectors under the tank. You also have to remove the connector ends in order to pull the electric cables out of the stock bars. Get a repair manual or take pictures before you remove wires from the connector. Use a chain to make fishing the wires back through the new bars easy. Also if your adding additional wires, fish them all through at the same time. Then just replace the connectors. The stock mini apes are 10" or 12". I did have to get a longer cable kit for my 14" bars. You also have to take into account risers if you have some. When you disconnect the electrical connectors check and see if there is enough play for the added height. You should be able to remove the controls without bleeding the front brake. If you need longer cables then that's where it gets harder. You have to drain and bleed the brakes, plus you will have to drain the clutch to replace it's cable. You can get the correct fluids at your Harley dealer.

The dealer will probably charge you 3 or 4 hours labor to do an install with new cables.

Old 03-05-2015 | 04:11 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

My dealer would quote about 4 hours if using stock cables. With the SB it's a bit of a crap shoot, I've heard of many people doing 13" with stock cables so long as the risers stayed at 1 inch, but then I've heard quite a few that needed extensions.

I remember a fellow about a month ago, asking same question, his dealer quoted 8 hours including extensions and internal wiring. Seemed like a lot but most said that would be a good ballpark, even quoting a little high so as not to freak him out if it was lower.

So to your "cue the do it yourself comments"... Is it tool and time related or skill related? If you're worried about skill I'd say it was a 4 out of 10 on a difficulty scale, really not tough with enough research and youtube watching. If it's tool and time related then I get it.

If going through dealer I would expect around $600 in labor easy. aye mamma

Old 03-05-2015 | 04:26 PM
chrisingram10
|
2nd Gear

Its a tools and time thing for sure. Also I would get super impatient and after hour 5, i would be yelling at myself for not just taking it in and now I have bike that I cant put back together. Pathetic, i know.

I will never have a dealer do another mod on my bike. The local shops for whatever reason just cant give me an estimate.

just trying to get a ball park. From the other threads I've read it sounds like 13" is about the max you can go without replacing cables. Also, I just have the stock risers.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 03-05-2015 | 04:30 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by chrisingram10
Its a tools and time thing for sure. Also I would get super impatient and after hour 5, i would be yelling at myself for not just taking it in and now I have bike that I cant put back together. Pathetic, i know.

I will never have a dealer do another mod on my bike. The local shops for whatever reason just cant give me an estimate.

just trying to get a ball park. From the other threads I've read it sounds like 13" is about the max you can go without replacing cables. Also, I just have the stock risers.

Thanks again for the help.
Good luck! I'm sure an Indy could offer a good quote.

If you have (or want) the tools don't sell yourself short. Even if it took you a couple of days. I'm about as impatient as you can get, and I make every mistake in the book with my mods. 6 months ago I never thought I'd be undertaking the stuff I do now.

You just never know... and it's a cheap excuse to buy some tools!

Old 03-05-2015 | 04:42 PM
enodrano
Road Captain

I don't think the dealers cost will be worth it. A local custom shop in my area quotes a set price instead of the $65+ an hour the dealer would charge charge. Maybe there's one in your area. DIY would be good for you because you'd be much more comfortable after doing more customizations. As mentioned YouTube is a wealth of information. Also, ask around this forum or biker events in your area and see if you can find someone to help you with the install.

Old 03-05-2015 | 04:50 PM
apetterez
Road Captain

About 6 hours of time. Do it ur self

Old 03-05-2015 | 05:11 PM
Bountyhunter2099
Cruiser

My local gets $90 an hour and quotes 5 hours with no cable changes or wire extensions. Baggers are $1300 - $1800 depending on bars and whatever else is needed.

I just had them do my 2010 Wide Glide. I don't have the patience and don't want an effed up bike that don't run stuck in my garage. They put 16" apes on my 2011 RG too. $1500 total. Being lazy costs.

Old 03-05-2015 | 09:55 PM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain

if there is any question about it just buy new cables too, braided cables are a nice upgrade, & doing the internal wires at the same time, so your hitting 3 birds with 1 stone there.. it's not so bad.. never cheap out on parts when your playing for labor. and always try to spend just as much on parts as labor.. hell, get some chrome hand controls or/& some cool grips while your at it,, your paying for all that to be taken apart anyway, might as well upgrade..

do it once, do it right,,

I don't blame you for not doing it your self.. often I don't feel like spending my whole Saturday doing hard labor like this.... it's an easy enough job though an indie could do it for a cheaper rate.

Old 03-05-2015 | 10:44 PM
JJlap
6th Gear

I got a 2013 sb. I put on 12" z bars with stock risers. I kept the original cables but they are maxed out. Took the dealer 2 hours. That's with internal wiring.