Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clunk when hitting bumps or during hard front braking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 03:15 AM
embalmer
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: clunk when hitting bumps or during hard front braking?

Got same problem with forks on my night train, picked it up from deallers on saturday rode it home noticed the clunk, which felt like the steering head bearings were loose, so gave the dealler a call they said no probs just bring it straight back and we will tighten them up for you, excellant I thought great service, took bike back mechanic checked out headstock bearings etc, the outcome is I am geeting a new set of forks under warranty, according to my dealer some forks have some kinda problem that when braking heavily etc. you experience a clunk similar to loose steering head bearings. I will let you know the outcome once new forks are fitted.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:12 AM
Megarry
4th Gear

I have the same problem in my 07' Low Rider. I even brought it back to the dealer complainign about it when I got my service done but they all looked at me like I was an idiot of something. They fixed the rubber on the kickstand only.. (AD Farrow in Sunbury, OH). I can feel the clunk through my foot pegs (mid-controls) as if somethign was hitting the frame when I hit bumps are hard braking. Is this what everyone else is getting? I can also feel something with my steering when I hit bumps, sort of like the wheel bearing have gone bad and is vibrating a little. Not sure what that is, can feel it thru my handle bars.

THis sound like what everyone else is getting?

Old 05-04-2008, 08:13 AM
blueglide88
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

There is a thread all about this problem. A new washer from HD and a star nut adjustment fixed my clunk. I am 100% sure you can solve it by doing the same thing.

Here is the link......read the entire thread......go get the kit.....and fix it yourself, the clunk will be gone.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2709503/tm.htm

Old 05-04-2008, 10:06 AM
SkyRider
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 harley has a TSB on it...if you go to the dealer they will order you the part and fix the problem

Old 07-26-2020, 05:11 PM
Rich Stanley
Stage I
Default fork clunk

I finally found out there ia a TSB on my 99 wideglide. Being a TSB dealer would not sell me the hardened washer to fix the problem. I would have to take the bike in for free repair

Old 07-26-2020, 05:37 PM
shodown220
Road Warrior
Received 758 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Stanley
I finally found out there ia a TSB on my 99 wideglide. Being a TSB dealer would not sell me the hardened washer to fix the problem. I would have to take the bike in for free repair
TSBs are not recalls, therefore dealer is not obligated to repair for no cost to you. Maybe they would do you a solid. Also, this thread is hella old, like 13 years.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:36 AM
Great08
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On my '08 SG, I would hear a clunky kind of a sound when hitting bumps...forward bolt on fuel tank was slightly loose. Problem went away after tightening bolt.