Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clunk when hitting bumps or during hard front braking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 12:42 AM
Jeweler
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: clunk when hitting bumps or during hard front braking?

When I got my Lowrider, I had a clangy type noise going over bumps,I finally narrowed it down to the plate on the front in the middle of the handlebars in front of the risers. Just tapping it made the noise. I took it off and cushioned it with auto grade double stick tape.put back on and no more noise. I don't know if this is the same promblem, but check it out.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:02 AM
stix68
Cruiser

Another sneaky noise hard to find is the sidestand rubber placed wrongly on the frame tube, every time i hit a bump it rattled. At first I thought it was front end as well.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:13 AM
Boxjoint
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: stix68

Another sneaky noise hard to find is the sidestand rubber placed wrongly on the frame tube, every time i hit a bump it rattled. At first I thought it was front end as well.
This is what happened to me as well. You need to "two fist" it to move it but if the bumper is not lined up with the sidestand you will hear a clunk.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:44 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've talked to a lot of guys with 2006 later wide glides who have this...and they've had their bikes checked at the dealer...looked it over themselves. The most common thing I've heard deals with the floating rotor (as said above). The best way I can describe it would be like an ever so slightly loose headset on a bicycle. When you hit a bump or brake hard from a slow speed, it happens. As long as I know I'm not the only one...and more importantly, as long as I know the bike won't fall apart while I'm riding...it doesn't really bother me.

Todd

Old 04-21-2007, 04:04 AM
Jorday
Advanced

Well, I put the bike up on the motorcyclelift and tried to wiggle the steering head around while the front tire didn't have any weight on it, but there's nofreeplay in it at all from what I could tell. The tank bolts are tight...nothing loose there, and the rubber bumper for the jiffy stand is in the correct location so the stand hits it like it's supposed to. I must just have the same noise that everybody has. I'm really picky when it comes stuff like this...I'll notice any strange noises in any of my cars or motorcycles, lol.

I'll still mention it to the dealer when the bike goes in to be serviced at 1000 miles, though.

Does anybody know how I can check the steering neck bolt?

Old 04-21-2007, 04:48 AM
Azgunner
Tourer

I had the exact condition after I installed a factory wide glide set-up on my Lowrider. Not only that, but when I braked hard I could feel the front wheel & forks twisting to the right. The cause was my steering head adjustment was too loose. Tightened them up a little & everything is as it should be.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:11 AM
Jorday
Advanced

How/where do you tighten it?

Old 04-21-2007, 09:19 AM
rodhotter
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

watch your forks in a situation this happens,it could be harleys cheap suspension, sportys are worse,try heavier fluid or different springs, i installed the best forks harley made for my sporty from the 2003 sportster sport,harley discontinued these forks as well as the better 4 pot brakes,better parts cuts into MULTIMILLION $$$$$$$$$PROFITS,harley is slow on technology, big on bling, as most riders are cruisers they skimp on SUSPENSION & BRAKES

Old 04-21-2007, 09:24 AM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Azgunner

I had the exact condition after I installed a factory wide glide set-up on my Lowrider. Not only that, but when I braked hard I could feel the front wheel & forks twisting to the right. The cause was my steering head adjustment was too loose. Tightened them up a little & everything is as it should be.
Referred to as the 'fall-away' adjustment in section 1-36 of your service manual. My butt-wipe dealer's shop 'adjusted' mine shortly after I purchased new. As I often do, I marked the steering head cap - they never removed it, but recorded the adjustment on my service ticket (seperate story). I brought it home, removed the cap with a strap wrench, tapped the keeper washer flat, tightened the nut about a 1/4 inch; problem solved...

Old 04-21-2007, 11:06 AM
seaox
Cruiser

I have an 03 WG and it used to do the same thing. Check out the post in the DO IT YOURSELF section. It has detailed instructions to check and fix problem.

I used one of the methods and it fixed the problem

Good Luck

Quick Reply: clunk when hitting bumps or during hard front braking?