Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are all Dyna Wide Glide Frames the same?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015 | 04:30 AM
henry_arthur
|
4th Gear
Post Are all Dyna Wide Glide Frames the same?

As a trike builder in the UK I am looking at creating a conversion jig for a bolt on independent rear suspension trike conversion. We have done quite a few Harleys over the years but when it comes to mounting to the frame - as a bolt on when we supply the kits for DIY builds we don't attach the mounting tubes to the cradle.
what I want to do is make a jig that has the mounting points in places so we can supply the kits to the customer ready to bolt on. For this we are suing a 2004 Dyna Wide Glide FXDWGI

So my question is:
Does anyone know which models use exactly the same frame as the FXDWGI 2004 model as the left side footpeg mounting bracket mounting point and the upper shock mount points needs to be exactly the same for the jigged kit to work.

Thanks in advance

Old 02-24-2015 | 07:41 AM
tomt
Road Master

The 2004-2005 models have the foot peg mounts on the frame. 2006 and up have the peg mounts on the swingarm. 2006 and up shock mounts might be wider end to end. Because of the introduction of the 96 cu in engine and six speed trans.

Old 02-24-2015 | 08:23 AM
1999 Wide Glide
Tourer

My 1999 wide glide has frame mounted passenger foot pegs. This is something I am very interested in this kit if it has enough room to keep my saddle bags.

Old 02-24-2015 | 09:02 AM
henry_arthur
|
4th Gear
Post photos of mounting points

Thanks for the responses There are photos of the mounting points (for clarities sake) when you say the footpegs are mounted to the frame is this what you mean?

Bottom mounting point right side

bottom mounting point left side

top mounting points

Old 02-24-2015 | 09:05 AM
henry_arthur
|
4th Gear
Default panniers

Originally Posted by 1999 Wide Glide
My 1999 wide glide has frame mounted passenger foot pegs. This is something I am very interested in this kit if it has enough room to keep my saddle bags.
Hi 1999
If that's a photo of your bike on the avatar then it would not be possible to keep them in the same place as the upper and lower wishbones go exactly there.
That's not to say they couldn't go higher there are photos of conversions on the casarva.co.uk website but I am not touting for business I really need to button down the frame issue before spending loads of time building manufacturing something that's only going to fit a few bike donors

Cheers

Old 02-24-2015 | 10:12 AM
tomt
Road Master

The pegs are mounted to the swingarm after 05. The photo you show is the older 05 down mounting points. The upper shock mounts at the struts may be wider end to end on frames after 05. You need to find a newer Dyna to measure it. You will also see the peg mounts on the swingarm.

Just for reference here is a photo of the mounts.

2006 & UP WRINKLE BLACK PASSENGER PEG MOUNT KIT FOR HARLEY DAVIDSON DYNA MODELS

Old 02-24-2015 | 10:19 AM
tomt
Road Master

So, those mounting points on the frame won't be there after 05.

Peg Mounts on swingarm.

Last edited by tomt; 02-24-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-24-2015 | 12:54 PM
1999 Wide Glide
Tourer

Originally Posted by henry_arthur
Hi 1999
If that's a photo of your bike on the avatar then it would not be possible to keep them in the same place as the upper and lower wishbones go exactly there.
That's not to say they couldn't go higher there are photos of conversions on the casarva.co.uk website but I am not touting for business I really need to button down the frame issue before spending loads of time building manufacturing something that's only going to fit a few bike donors

Cheers

Henry,
That is my bike in my signature. From your pictures it looks the same as my 99. I think the frames were the same from 99 - 05. Those are the years for the 88 inch twin cam. The upper (shock) mounting points are also the same.

I would still be interested in the kit. I modified a few things to get those bags and tour pack mounted on my wide glide. I could probably modify your kit to get the bags to fit.
Thanks,
Rick

Old 02-24-2015 | 05:37 PM
wastedranger
Outstanding HDF Member

In '06 the dyna line was redesigned. Therefore for your project '05 and earlier would be the frame. How far back the frames are the same I'm not sure. But '05 would definitely be the latest.

Old 02-25-2015 | 10:03 AM
henry_arthur
|
4th Gear
Default thanks for the replies all

Originally Posted by tomt
So, those mounting points on the frame won't be there after 05.

Peg Mounts on swingarm.

That's really helpful thanks

Quick Reply: Are all Dyna Wide Glide Frames the same?