Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAN-bus and LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 01:52 PM
sdeck86
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAN-bus and LEDs

Recently I installed rear H-D LED signals and a H-D LED tail lamp. Ever since, I have had rear LED blinking issues. I calibrated them with the BCM but they only work about half the time. I've listed my problem here before and been told I need a load equalizer for them, but my bike has a CAN-bus system and does not require load equalizers. When they stop working the console indicators begin flashing quickly and the rear LEDs stop flashing entirely. I have two error codes--b2151 and b2156 with pn 69994-128. All I've been able to tell is that the codes are for the rear signals. Sometimes the signals will function normally when I turn to the ignition switch, and then not work after engine ignition. Sometimes they will stop working mid-ride. Most of the time if I turn the bike off and on again, they will work again.

I have spoken to Harley about the signals several times and have not been given an answer. I am taking it in to the dealership in a few days if I can't resolve this myself. Has anyone had similar issues associated with their rear H-D LEDs or does anyone know a fix?

Old 02-19-2015, 02:33 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by sdeck86
Recently I installed rear H-D LED signals and a H-D LED tail lamp. Ever since, I have had rear LED blinking issues. I calibrated them with the BCM but they only work about half the time. I've listed my problem here before and been told I need a load equalizer for them, but my bike has a CAN-bus system and does not require load equalizers. When they stop working the console indicators begin flashing quickly and the rear LEDs stop flashing entirely. I have two error codes--b2151 and b2156 with pn 69994-128. All I've been able to tell is that the codes are for the rear signals. Sometimes the signals will function normally when I turn to the ignition switch, and then not work after engine ignition. Sometimes they will stop working mid-ride. Most of the time if I turn the bike off and on again, they will work again.

I have spoken to Harley about the signals several times and have not been given an answer. I am taking it in to the dealership in a few days if I can't resolve this myself. Has anyone had similar issues associated with their rear H-D LEDs or does anyone know a fix?

Have you checked the connections on the LED's? Sounds stupid, but a loose connection might cause your symptoms.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:28 AM
sdeck86
Advanced
Default Sorted

Finally got this sorted out. I took it into Harley yesterday morning and had a return call 20 minutes later. They never really gave me an exact description of my error codes, other than to say the BCM was having issues communicating with my rear signals. They tried installing a rear load equalizer, but it caused even more signal dysfunction. Ultimately, they decided there is a compatibility issue with newer bikes and LEDs.

We decided to try tricking the BCM into functioning normally by installing stock incandescent lights on my forks. I've read about people doing this to correct signal problems. Today my girlfriend found several photos of LED/incandescent combos that are almost my exact setup. Two hours later my error codes were gone and all SIX signals worked perfectly. Parker, the Harley manager told me he "puts out the fires" and charged me absolutely nothing for their work (which included fork mount parts).

I had issues with these signals for months and did a good amount of research to try and solve the problem. Once again, the Harley dealership came through and my bike is at 100% again. Hopefully, this may be helpful for anyone else having LED problems.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:10 PM
NuckaMan
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for insight.

I've got a couple questions, which brand of LED's are you running? and what did the dealer exactly do to get rid of the error codes....did they install a IC light somewhere in the system?

I've got a '15 Bob, my Custom Dynamics LED turn-signals came in and will be installing them soon. Just wondering what to expect, looks like it's more than just cutting-out stock IC and splicing the new LED's in.

Thanks again.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:25 PM
sdeck86
Advanced

Originally Posted by NuckaMan
Thanks for insight.

I've got a couple questions, which brand of LED's are you running? and what did the dealer exactly do to get rid of the error codes....did they install a IC light somewhere in the system?

I've got a '15 Bob, my Custom Dynamics LED turn-signals came in and will be installing them soon. Just wondering what to expect, looks like it's more than just cutting-out stock IC and splicing the new LED's in.

Thanks again.
Hey NuckaMan,

I'm running H-D LEDs everywhere. Not sure if there will be the same issues with third party parts or not. The dealer removed the error codes by installing incandescent front turn signals on my forks.

Best of luck to you.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:34 PM
13dino
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 3,358 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Running Radiantz led's front and rear w/o equalizer and don't have the slightest problem.

Same bike as yours, 13 FXDC. Seen your problem and thought that's strange.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:43 PM
futat2
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I put custom dynamics LEDs for all my signals and the HD LED daymaker headlight on my 14 street bob with zero issues. Id say the dealer is full of ****.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:30 AM
NuckaMan
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by futat2
I put custom dynamics LEDs for all my signals and the HD LED daymaker headlight on my 14 street bob with zero issues. Id say the dealer is full of ****.
futat2-

was the install process simple as cutting out the stock lights and splicing in the Custom Dynamic LED's?

thanks.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:43 PM
futat2
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by NuckaMan
futat2-

was the install process simple as cutting out the stock lights and splicing in the Custom Dynamic LED's?

thanks.
It was as simple as removing the bulbs, installing new bulb end with disk of LEDs and putting cover back on. PLUG AND PLAY, no cutting.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:51 PM
socialoutcast
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I am going to call BS on the dealers part. I have never heard of someone having to run their LED and standards to keep **** working. One of the reasons I dont buy HD parts anymore. Sadly I have had nothing but issues with stuff from the dealer.

Quick Reply: CAN-bus and LEDs