Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White Lettered Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Timmer
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default White Lettered Tires

Was wondering how many guys have white lettered tires on their scoots? The guy that had the pictures of his "Bob" last week with the red rims looked great. (Sorry dude, forgot your name).
I know they make the SE white lettered and Dunflop has a set, anybody else make 'em? Pictures with a set on a scoot would be much appreciated. Timmer

Old 04-19-2007, 07:58 PM
Timmer
Road Captain
Default RE: White Lettered Tires

Just found the post. Rodnreel,have any more pics?? Awesome looking scoot you have. Tim

Old 04-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Original Junior
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He had to use a paint pen to color in the lettering. I do not know of any motorcyle tires that have raised white lettering (although I'm sure some exist and someone here knows of them). Regardless, I recall him saying the lettering was a pain to do and he hoped that it would last a while. Harley sells the white and orange pens but you can go to Office Max and get a white paint pen a lot cheaper.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:50 AM
rodnreel
Advanced

He had to use a paint pen to color in the lettering.
Right.... I did it with a tire paint pen. It was a pain in ****, andI did it with the tires un-mounted on my kitchen table. It just takes a lot a patience...(which I don't have)

I also bought a paint pen from a local craft store with a finer tip, the lettering on the front tire is smaller and was more difficult to do.

After the white paint dried I went back with a flat black permanent marker (also from craftstore) and touched up the spots I didn'tcolor in the lines.They look perfect now, as if manufactured that way.

I just hope it holds up over time, I'd hate to think I've committed myself to touching up the paint every couple weeks.[&:]

Old 04-20-2007, 01:44 AM
Original Junior
Road Master

ORIGINAL: rodnreel

I just hope it holds up over time, I'd hate to think I've committed myself to touching up the paint every couple weeks.[&:]
Exactly. That is what I estimate. I thought about doing the same thing, and more so since I saw your ride, but worried about the added work of tire painting[:'(]. I have to wash the darn thing, change fluids, check air pressure, and now I have to touch up the tires? But, I'll probably do it because I'm a glutton for punishment.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:18 PM
synisterglide
Intermediate

I'll put in my $.02... my previous ride had white letter tires and they look good but I got to where I hated to clean up my bike because of them. It was a such a pain to scrub those little letters and having to roll the bike around to access the back ones. It's not like having them on your car where they are easy to get too. Just a thought...my current bike has blackwall tires and I'm not going back there.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:22 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Original Junior

He had to use a paint pen to color in the lettering. I do not know of any motorcyle tires that have raised white lettering (although I'm sure some exist and someone here knows of them).
Dunlop has been making them for years...

[IMG]local://upfiles/17633/9A938750D3F84789ADB701A47ACE4BA4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-20-2007, 01:31 PM
06FXDCIRider
Cruiser

x2 on the Raised White Letter Dunlops. I remember years ago that Goodyear had come out with some tires for Harleys that were RWL. On using the paint pens, it would be pretty cool if you could find some sort of sealer that would help the longevity of the paint job.

A tip for cleaning any factory white letter tires....use SOS pads. Buddy of mine told me about that a few years back. Makes the letters look like new.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:35 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

My Deadwood has the Dunlops white letters. Need to get them replaced - they are 7 years old now.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:59 AM
kpreese
Road Captain

I love the look, but I did something slightly different. I only painted the outlines of the letters. It's slightly more subtle, but I think it's a good look. I did NOT do the rear only because I've been putting it off, definitely a lot more of a pain to do.

Shortly after doing this, I put the springer on and the front tire I have for it is an old tire. I wanted to make sure the bike would ride OK with the springer before buying a new tire. A couple of pictures are below.

My experience was that the paint holds up amazingly well. I didn't find them a challenge to clean because the outlined part is raised. So it didn't take any deep, careful scrubbing to get down inside a depressed area or anything. That's probably another reason why the paint was holding up so well, because I didn't scrub the tires hard at all.

It's tricky to do, but I was careful as I could be and then I used a nylon brush dremel wheel and "erased" the stuff I didn't want. That sometimes meant having to go back and repaint a tiny spot. This is a good project for when you are broke and still want to do something for your bike. It's WAY more effort than $$$

Kevin

Quick Reply: White Lettered Tires