Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I Need to invest in a PCIII?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 03:18 AM
06FXDCIRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I Need to invest in a PCIII?

I have decided that I'm going to change the exhaust on my '06 SG Custom (FXDCI). It's either...
[ul][*]Python 2 into 1's or..[*]Samson Big Gun 3 Cannons[/ul]
If I go to these pipes do I have to get a PCIII or a system like that? I would like to do the PCIII thing, but I would like to wait on that fora little while. When you buy one of these systems can you just hook it up to your own computer and load up the bike? Do you have to have the dealer do the dyno thing? I know that dealer/dyno option is going to be expensive. I've read here in the forum that these PCIII's and others like it can make a noticeable difference in performance. I figure getting the pipes is a good start.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:33 AM
Noride
Tourer
Default RE: Do I Need to invest in a PCIII?

The Search function is your best friend when it comes to all this info. It has been re-hashed over and over. I don't want to be a di*k so:

Yes, you will need a PCIII or any of the many modules out there. It all depends on your future plans.
Yes, the PCIII comes with a program you can view on your computer to load and customize maps as needed.
Yes, if you want your bike to work at its optimum you will need to have it dyno tuned. You can get away with downloading a map that approximates your needs.
Pythons 2-1 are great sounding and more inexpensive than others but are not the best for tuning. You don't have any options on baffles.
You will need to install a free breathing Air Cleaner like the Screaming Eagle or Arlen Ness Big Sucker. I would go with the Big Sucker. Not doing this defeats the pourpose of a better breathing exhaust. All these modstogetherare better known asthe Stage 1, run a search and you will find more detailed info. from more experienced members.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't change the air cleaner you can get away without a fuel management solution, but you're doing nothing for the performance of the bike. The pipes will be strictly asthetic. I too recommend the Big Sucker. It's reasonably priced, easy to install, and the replacement filters are readily available.

I prefer the PCIII, but that's because I have one. There are as many opinions on the various modules as there are modules to choose from. I chose to have a dyno tune. The peace of mind and knowledge I received was well worth my $200. A cost effective alternative to a dyno tune is to buy your PCIII from Fuel Moto. I'm told they will configure it to the components you specify before shipping it to you. It may not be the absolute optimum for your bike, but you'll be in the ballpark and won't run the risk of running overly rich or lean. Ask folks here who have bought from Fuel Moto for details.

You may drop some C notes on pipes, A/C, and fule management, but you won't regret it. The sweet sound and the need to hang on a little tighter make it all worth while.

Hope this helps. Don't be afraid to ask for more details. Soon enough you'll be answering questions here yourself.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:30 AM
JoeWV
Advanced

My set up is Python 2 into1, Ness Big Sucker and PC III. I love the set up and the sound. If you go through www.fuelmotousa.com you can tell them what you have and they will pre-program your PCIII. They set mine up perfect.I think it was $279, shipped.Check ebay and other websites and you can find the other parts pretty cheap. I got the Big Sucker kit from M&M Cycles for $98 shipped and the pipes from Eastern Performance at $375 shipped. I installed it all myself in a few hours.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:09 AM
js1268
Banned

get back issue of 'Hot Bike' magazine, vol 39 no.4, 2007.... it explains it all

Old 04-19-2007, 01:15 PM
06FXDCIRider
Cruiser

Thanks for the info guys. Always nice to get it straight from knowledgable ones. I'll save the info here to a word file and use it here soon.

As to using the "search" function, I suggest that anyone who says to use it, use it themselves and see what a waste of time that usually is. I've been using these forums for everything from h-d motorcycles to different brands of guns and they all work identically. If you feel like thumbing your way through a mountain of bullsh_t then search. That search function is nowhere near as helpful as the people who suggest it think it is. Try it and see.

These forums are designed for people to ask questions, not search. If all we did was search, guess how much info would be on this site? The answer? None, nada, not a bit of info would be here.

Thanks again for the cool info. When I get this bike all jazzed up I'll post some pics.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Noride
Tourer

Dude, don't get your panties in a bunch! That's how I found the info. to do my set up and that's why I suggested it. About the "search" function being a total waste of time, I must say that to the credit of this forum it works quite well. There is a mountain of information here and it is certainly not sh*t. I guess when you look at things from your perspective everything looks like sh*t.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:33 PM
Trotter
Banned

The best answer is talk to you tuner and see what he's gotten the best results from. My dyno guy loves the SERT hands down.... Tunes bikes 6 days a week with them and gets best results useing it... simple Answer..

Old 04-19-2007, 04:53 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

Thanks for the info guys. Always nice to get it straight from knowledgable ones. I'll save the info here to a word file and use it here soon.

As to using the "search" function, I suggest that anyone who says to use it, use it themselves and see what a waste of time that usually is. I've been using these forums for everything from h-d motorcycles to different brands of guns and they all work identically. If you feel like thumbing your way through a mountain of bullsh_t then search. That search function is nowhere near as helpful as the people who suggest it think it is. Try it and see.

These forums are designed for people to ask questions, not search. If all we did was search, guess how much info would be on this site? The answer? None, nada, not a bit of info would be here.

Thanks again for the cool info. When I get this bike all jazzed up I'll post some pics.
There is a wealth of information using the search key. Nothing wrong with asking about your setup but you couldn't be more wrong about searching previous posts. Lots of information that has been posted before and threads that contain other points of view, setups, experiences, tests and opinions.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:56 PM
06FXDCIRider
Cruiser

Anyone who prefaces a statement with something that sounds like, "I don't want to be a di*k so:", usually is a dick. If you don't like it when people ask questions that have been asked before keep it to yourself NORIDE. You're not a Moderator here and your opinion about how people use this forum is of no consequence. The information you gave me in your post was helpful but the "I'm going to lay down the law about searching here" attitude sucks. Maybe a Moderator might want to lay down the law with you some day when you ask a question that should have been searched. I'm sure you'll do like every other self policing forum user and jump in with another smart *** reply, but if you do, you'll just be wasting your time. I already said the info you gave me was was good.

Quick Reply: Do I Need to invest in a PCIII?