Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping bulbs to LED

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 05:07 PM
Mars47
Road Captain

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Swapping bulbs to LED

I did a search, but I didn't find an answer to this question specifically.

So on ebay theres a billion LED drop in bulbs...I'd like to switch all my lights to LED. This is a $20 option to do ALL of them. 1157's all the way around, minus the Headlight which I was looking at the Headwinds H4.

So my question is has anyone tried this? Any issues? How about the Headwinds?

Old 02-06-2015, 05:59 PM
Odin510
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mars47
I did a search, but I didn't find an answer to this question specifically.

So on ebay theres a billion LED drop in bulbs...I'd like to switch all my lights to LED. This is a $20 option to do ALL of them. 1157's all the way around, minus the Headlight which I was looking at the Headwinds H4.

So my question is has anyone tried this? Any issues? How about the Headwinds?
You'll need a load equalizer to correct the fast blink. Custom dynamics sells a 4 bulb kit with insanely bright drop in bulbs, load equalizer and new lenses for $199. I have it on my bike and love it.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:44 AM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Odin510
You'll need a load equalizer to correct the fast blink. Custom dynamics sells a 4 bulb kit with insanely bright drop in bulbs, load equalizer and new lenses for $199. I have it on my bike and love it.
I agree with Odin,
Have Custom Dynamic on all four. On my 2013 Street Bob their built in equalizer works fine. Have LED head light by Fuel Moto. All very bright. The head light needs an equilizer, which is being developed. I just live with the warning light on. Would never go back to 1157.
Roger

Old 02-07-2015, 07:06 AM
Deadhead77
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used these bulbs from Walmart in my front signals.

They did not fit fit properly into the stock bullet signal housings. The base of the bulb was too big, so I filed them down and made them work. Before and after filing them pics.

My tail light uses a bulb like this, 3157 I believe,

Only issue with it is you will lose your tag light. So I used these led tag bolt lights to light up the tag.

I recently ditched the bullets in the back for some led flexible light strips.

Overall I'm happy with the brightness of the cheap leds I used and my bike being a 2012 FXDC I didn't need a load equalizer and everything functions as it should with no warning lights on the dash.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:34 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Auto Zone now sells the error free LED's, so no load equalizer is needed. I haven't tried them on the bike just yet, but I have them in my SUV and they work great. I bought some eBay ones for the bike in the past and the circuit board was to wide which didn't allow the bulb base to go in all the way. I plan on trying the auto zone ones once it's closer to riding season. If they don't fit I can return them unlike the eBay ones.

Just back up lights for now. I'll probably finish it off today.

Last edited by JaronB; 02-07-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:29 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

"Load equalizer" = getting charged an insane amount of money for a high wattage resistor. When I was working on the circuit to build my own front LED turn signals (work still in progress.. sigh) .. I found that the ECM needed to see at least 1amp current draw to keep from going into 'burnt out bulb alarm-mode' (fast flashing). Radio Shark has one for example, 8ohm 20watt, which will give your ECM 1.5 amps to see... and it costs about 3 bucks.

If you don't know what you're doing though... buy the pre-made stuff... will save you headaches..

Old 02-10-2015, 03:16 PM
Mars47
Road Captain

So I'd have to splice in some of these: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/JSI0/625LE.oap

And I would just have to do that with the turn signals, correct?

Old 02-10-2015, 03:22 PM
Mars47
Road Captain

Old 02-10-2015, 04:40 PM
billatstarbrite
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the CD LED inserts at all 4 corners (did that myself) and a DayMaker upgrade (let the HD techs do that when I had a 20% discount coupon).

Those mods increased nighttime visibility immensely.
(I later added a CD strobing brakelight for even more visibility - in South Florida, you can't have too much of that)

fwiw, I tried adding a set of eBay-sourced LED inserts to my 2003 Jeep Cherokee's rear lights - they blew a fuse every time I hit the brakes. When I realized I needed an equalizer, I simply went back to stock incandescent bulbs.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:33 PM
Mars47
Road Captain

Originally Posted by billatstarbrite
I went with the CD LED inserts at all 4 corners (did that myself) and a DayMaker upgrade (let the HD techs do that when I had a 20% discount coupon).

Those mods increased nighttime visibility immensely.
(I later added a CD strobing brakelight for even more visibility - in South Florida, you can't have too much of that)

fwiw, I tried adding a set of eBay-sourced LED inserts to my 2003 Jeep Cherokee's rear lights - they blew a fuse every time I hit the brakes. When I realized I needed an equalizer, I simply went back to stock incandescent bulbs.
Definitely considering this option. But I dont have front turn signals (took them off when I put on my apes) So it'd be just the rear.

Quick Reply: Swapping bulbs to LED