Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

derby cover gasket... i feel like an ass

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007 | 10:33 PM
baxter
|
Road Warrior
Default derby cover gasket... i feel like an ***

so i had bought a new derby cover a few weeks back and didnt pick up the new gasket. the bike has been apart for three weeks and i had read in another thread that the gasket was made of paper and a few people had made there own... soooo i figured a few days ago *** it im bored ill jus make my own gasket outa the cardboard backing from the derby cover packaging. yesterday i put the pipes back on and started it up for a minute to check the sound and make sure they were on soundly. so i go out to the garage today to change the oil and there is a puddle of oil under the bike. i thought it was my roomate fooling around cus they joked about doing the exact thing the other day. sure enough i pull the bike outa the garage and look underneath and the leak came straight outa the derby........damnit! note to self, nomatter how crafty you may or think you may be dont make your own gasket, be patient and go buy one, lol. .........ok start flaming now!

Old 04-18-2007 | 10:39 PM
mikeurig
Road Master
Default RE: derby cover gasket... i feel like an ***

No flaming here but sometimes you learn the hard way, just don't repeat it.
Get the gasket and go riding.

Old 04-18-2007 | 11:17 PM
baxter
|
Road Warrior

no doubt. jus feeln silly, i did it and forgot it. shoulda known not to jerry rig an expensive machine....big duh

Old 04-18-2007 | 11:18 PM
oakies
Advanced

You feel like an *** for what you did?...LOL You should.....Live and learn

Old 04-18-2007 | 11:48 PM
edgar3
Cruiser

crap happens... I don't even kid myself to think I could do any of it good enough. I have to pay someone and hope they're doing right...dealer's been right on so far...

Old 04-19-2007 | 12:04 AM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member

The cardboard off the package? Priceless.......................Kudos to you for being man enough to admit you made a major duh.

Old 04-19-2007 | 12:37 AM
PoCoBob
Road Master

Don't laugh, the gaskets that held the oil in the rear end of my dad's old pick up were all made out of a corn flakes box. It can be done. No leaks either.

Old 04-19-2007 | 12:43 AM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member

My old mans pick up is one thing, my scooter is another.

Old 04-19-2007 | 01:03 AM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

ORIGINAL: Blaster

Don't laugh, the gaskets that held the oil in the rear end of my dad's old pick up

were all made out of a corn flakes box.

It can be done. No leaks either.
I would trust a cornflake gasket to contain the lubricant for thethird memberin my truck
just about far enough to pick up some beer.

At the corner.

But, only in an emergency.

mud

Old 04-19-2007 | 02:27 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

ORIGINAL: baxter

so i had bought a new derby cover a few weeks back and didnt pick up the new gasket. the bike has been apart for three weeks and i had read in another thread that the gasket was made of paper and a few people had made there own... soooo i figured a few days ago *** it im bored ill jus make my own gasket outa the cardboard backing from the derby cover packaging. yesterday i put the pipes back on and started it up for a minute to check the sound and make sure they were on soundly. so i go out to the garage today to change the oil and there is a puddle of oil under the bike. i thought it was my roomate fooling around cus they joked about doing the exact thing the other day. sure enough i pull the bike outa the garage and look underneath and the leak came straight outa the derby........damnit! note to self, nomatter how crafty you may or think you may be dont make your own gasket, be patient and go buy one, lol. .........ok start flaming now!

http://www.type2.com/library/chemicals/loctite.htm

At least you didn't find this out on a 100 mile trip.

The new gasket is very sturdy. You won't have to replace it for some time.

Don't forget some light strength loctite on the bolts and torque them in the pattern from the manual.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6454/42C1D3A09CBA450EB42D928840A40864.gif[/IMG]

Quick Reply: derby cover gasket... i feel like an ass