Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

derby cover gasket... i feel like an ass

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007 | 11:37 PM
sargek
Road Warrior
Default RE: derby cover gasket... i feel like an ***

Hey baxter, don't feel so bad man, I dropped a socket in the primary cover doing a chaincase oil change and primary tension adjustment...lucky I have long fingers.

Old 04-20-2007 | 01:08 AM
baxter
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: tireater

Cardboard will always work long enought to get another one...WHY DID YOU NOT REUSE THE OLD ONE...I DO WITH NO PROBLEMS...
ps I recommend synthetic skunk scent for revenge...get it at a gun store...couple of drops in roommates car and they will play nice....

i had planned on using the old one after i realized i forgot to grab it while at the dealer pickin up parts, unfortunately the stock derby cover has a totally different gasket setup then some of the replacements.... so since i already had it all off i figured i jus get alil crafty and try making my own gasket out of the thin dense cardboard an roll it till i got a chance to stop by an get the real one.. i went an grabbed the gasket today at the dealer while picking up some other parts on order and even if my gasket didnt work it looked almost identical to the real one except the real one is made from a denser more sturdy material. ....... i had such a good laugh at myself that i had to post it to be laughed at. some times an imagination just doesnt help, lol..........

Old 04-20-2007 | 01:51 AM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

ORIGINAL: baxter

some times an imagination just doesnt help, lol..........
bax, good one.

The stock gasket is far superior to the addon/aftermarket pieces.

Respect to you for giving it a shot at getting by with benchtop craftiness.
craftiness - is that a word.

Way back when (mid 1960s), I traveled coast to coast on a regular basis.
Mostly in a 1951 GMC one ton panel truck.

I fixed flats on the side of the road with snow fallin at the top of the Raton Pass,
rebuilt generators in the middle of Death Valley, and swapped starters in the dark
on the steepest Seattle streets.

I always had a selection of gasket paper nearby.
Most commonly the paper was used for water pump and fuel pump emergencies.

Gasket paper is available in different thicknesses.
Not a myth, you CAN make your own derby cover seal.

To this day, I have the gasket hammer that my grandpa gave to me as a teenager.
If you are interested, I will photodocumenthammerbeat gaskets.

mud

ORIGINAL: baxter

ORIGINAL: tireater

Cardboard will always work long enought to get another one...WHY DID YOU NOT REUSE THE OLD ONE...I DO WITH NO PROBLEMS...
ps I recommend synthetic skunk scent for revenge...get it at a gun store...couple of drops in roommates car and they will play nice....

i had planned on using the old one after i realized i forgot to grab it while at the dealer pickin up parts, unfortunately the stock derby cover has a totally different gasket setup then some of the replacements.... so since i already had it all off i figured i jus get alil crafty and try making my own gasket out of the thin dense cardboard an roll it till i got a chance to stop by an get the real one.. i went an grabbed the gasket today at the dealer while picking up some other parts on order and even if my gasket didnt work it looked almost identical to the real one except the real one is made from a denser more sturdy material. ....... i had such a good laugh at myself that i had to post it to be laughed at. some times an imagination just doesnt help, lol..........