Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

derby cover gasket... i feel like an ass

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007 | 11:10 AM
Bassman
Road Master
Default RE: derby cover gasket... i feel like an ***

We learn by trial and error. Just think, if it would have worked, the post would have been a whole lot different.....

so i had bought a new derby cover a few weeks back and didnt pick up the new gasket. the bike has been apart for three weeks and i had read in another thread that the gasket was made of paper and a few people had made there own... soooo i figured a few days ago *** it im bored ill jus make my own gasket outa the cardboard backing from the derby cover packaging. yesterday i put the pipes back on and started it up for a minute to check the sound and make sure they were on soundly. so i go out to the garage today to change the oil and there is a puddle of oil under the bike. Turns out it was just my roomates fooling around cus they joked about doing the exact thing the other day. I've have now put 1000 miles on it still with no leaks. So I went and bought a six pack with the $7.50 I saved for not having to buy the gasket from H-D.

Old 04-19-2007 | 11:44 AM
Trotter
Banned

Cardboard + Primary Fluid,+ Heat, Hmmmm, Something gonna breakdown and deteriate, and dought it's the fluid. Check your clutchplates in 100 miles or so... Gotta hand it to ya though thats the best I've heard in awhile... ROFLMAO
p.s. Crack pipe ! BAD.... LOL

Old 04-19-2007 | 11:53 AM
hksb
Cruiser

that sucks. at least you can get it fixed. least the folk over on hdforums are nice peeps...

Old 04-19-2007 | 12:34 PM
js1268
Banned

does anybody happen to have the torque specs for the derby cover on the '07 bob? ...i'm replacing mine this weekend with the 'black fin' one ....and does any oil need to be drained before removing it?

thanks

Old 04-19-2007 | 12:37 PM
cornell
Intermediate

It's the shortcuts that sometimes get costly. Use the proper parts and learn from your mistakes. Luckily it was only a gasket this time.

Old 04-19-2007 | 01:14 PM
rodnreel
Advanced

does anybody happen to have the torque specs for the derby cover on the '07 bob? ...i'm replacing mine this weekend with the 'black fin' one ....and does any oil need to be drained before removing it?
If I rememeber right its 12-14 Nm, which is about 110-120 in/ft.

You don't need to drain the primary to change the Derby Cover, but it is a good idea to have the bike in an upright position, rather than leaning on the stand.

Old 04-19-2007 | 01:19 PM
js1268
Banned

thanks again, rod!

Old 04-19-2007 | 04:52 PM
tireater
Banned

Cardboard will always work long enought to get another one...WHY DID YOU NOT REUSE THE OLD ONE...I DO WITH NO PROBLEMS...
ps I recommend synthetic skunk scent for revenge...get it at a gun store...couple of drops in roommates car and they will play nice....

Old 04-19-2007 | 05:40 PM
Trotter
Banned

84-108 in-lbs

Old 04-19-2007 | 11:24 PM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: tireater

Cardboard will always work long enought to get another one...WHY DID YOU NOT REUSE THE OLD ONE...I DO WITH NO PROBLEMS...
ps I recommend synthetic skunk scent for revenge...get it at a gun store...couple of drops in roommates car and they will play nice....
The newer HD Multi-Fit covers need thepaper gasket on bikes 06 or newer. The stock rubber gasket will not work, no groove in the inside of the multi-fit derby cover for it to seat.

I also recommend the skunk scent, only after you have run out of dead fish to put under their beds.

Quick Reply: derby cover gasket... i feel like an ass