Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide glide front on super glide question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 09:47 PM
superglide423
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wide glide front on super glide question?

When i bought my super glide the guy had already done the swap, the bike sits about 2 or 3" higher in the front, i assume that's because the wide glide frame has a different rake. Whats the best solution to this, personally i hate the look it gives the bike, should i just buy some lowering springs and be done with it or did he do something wrong during the swap?

Also whats my rim and tire options with this front end, i love a wide front rim and tire, how wide can i go by removing the spacers that are in there now? Any great info about this front end is welcomed!

Old 02-03-2015, 10:50 PM
panhead19530hv
6th Gear

lowering the front end by way of spring will only give you about a 1 to 1.5in drop for lower tree to center line of the axle. you could always do raked neck cups,that is the cheapest way besides cutting yor springs down 2 inches but i dont recomend doing that. you could change your trees to 5 or 7 degree raked trees many aftermarket ones out there.

As far as the rim/tire I did a fatboy rim and tire on may 98 wideglide but dont remember what year the rim was.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:56 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The rake in a WG is in partly in the frame and partly in the trees. Assuming this is a late (10+ model) and has WG forks that are too long then its fairly easy and believe it or not - cheap, to put Super Glide Forks back on there. The stock FXDC fork tubes are only $70 each from New Castle and you may or may not need the damper rod also if that was changed. Ride height could still be off if the WG trees were installed but do you know this for certain? I say this because the PO may have used FB trees instead which are the same width without the rake.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:39 AM
superglide423
1st Gear

Sorry I forgot to mention its an 05 superglide. I'm not sure witch trees he used. How could I tell? Based on the rake of the trees? I'll take some pics and post them up for you guys to observe if I recall correctly it doesn't look like the trees have much of a rake to them so that may be the problem.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:39 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 743 Likes on 411 Posts

I put the +2" Wide Glide fork tubes on my Super Glide, so if you're looking for stock Super Glide tubes, I may just have a set.

Measure from the bottom of the lower tree to the top of the fork slider caps. Stock Super Glide should be just over 6"

Last edited by Reindeer; 02-04-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:41 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Drop the fork tubes in the trees.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:25 AM
superglide423
1st Gear

I measured and I'm measuring right at 9 1/2 inches. From the top of the fork slider to the bottom of the triple tree.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:10 PM
Limey
Tourer

Originally Posted by fat_tony
Drop the fork tubes in the trees.
That's what I was thinking. Costs nothing, takes minutes, no loss of travel, etc.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:58 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Limey
That's what I was thinking. Costs nothing, takes minutes, no loss of travel, etc.
Yup. Don't know if you can go as much as two or three inches (will depend on what handlebars and risers you have, before the fork tubes hit the bars).

Taller risers should do the trick. Probably a lot cheaper and better and more comfortable than options which reduce the suspension travel.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:09 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

We could use more info, like is it 41mm fork tubes with hd fxdwg trees or did they use a wideglide conversion with the stock 39mm fork tubes, at 9 1/2 it sounds like stock length fork tubes from a wideglide, as mine were the same length, I used a 2 inch lowering kit and sat just right after that and did not affect the ride at all

If it is an FXDWG front end then you could install a Heritage front wheel and change out the spacers and install a brake disc 1/4 in spacer to align the brake disc, or a stock 21 from a softail or FXDWG

on wideglide front ends from the 2005 era you can't slide the fork tubes up in the trees, only can be done with the stock narrow front end on the Dynas up to 05, after that they went with 49mm forks

Last edited by Robtarra39; 02-04-2015 at 06:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Wide glide front on super glide question?