Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

forward controls

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 01:06 AM
canadayman
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default forward controls

i have been looking and debating if i should go with forward controls or just highway pegs

what do you guys think

Old 02-03-2015, 03:24 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Ride your bike for a while before you decide. Highway pegs are cheaper, and easier to add, and remove. Personally, I don't like forward controls but they seem popular.

Do you have an engine guard now?

Old 02-03-2015, 08:02 AM
kchaile
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Sporty with mid controls and loved it. When I traded it in for a Street Bob I just didn't feel comfortable on the Bob with the mids. I test drove a Bob with forwards and it really felt better for me. I took a little getting used to but I am now sold on forwards.
As was said before, it is a very personal thing, I would try both and see what works for you before you make the leap. Good luck.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:13 AM
Sean McGuinness
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i LOVE my forward controls.... I did buy my Street Bob with them already installed though so I didn't need to worry about installing them or cost of installing them...

comparing them to riding my buddy's Dyna with stock mids & highway pegs, I would choose the forwards any day of the week.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:38 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,078 Likes on 1,504 Posts

I've been riding an fxr with mid controls for years. Recently I bought a Switchback with floor board and forward controls. I'm still not use to the forward controls. I found the mids quicker to operate. I almost never use the rear brake with the forward controls.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:16 AM
canadayman
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
Ride your bike for a while before you decide. Highway pegs are cheaper, and easier to add, and remove. Personally, I don't like forward controls but they seem popular.

Do you have an engine guard now?
not yet going to get a multi bar

Old 02-03-2015, 11:23 AM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by canadayman
i have been looking and debating if i should go with forward controls or just highway pegs

what do you guys think
It really just depends on what makes you comfortable when riding, i have noticed a lot of people like the Highway Pegs better because they allow you to stretch out when needed. Which is a great feature when you have been riding for a while. At the same time some people like the Foward controls because of the location you are able to place your foot with those also.

Kelsey

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

Old 02-03-2015, 11:32 AM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,586 Likes on 683 Posts

I feel much more in control of the bike with mid controls when riding aggressively. And I have highway pegs that mount in the forward control holes and that's a nice set up for relaxing a little when just cruising some open stretches of road. But I tend to ride pretty aggressive at times, and I commute with my bike.

It all comes down to personal preference, I came from a Honda shadow with forward controls and never felt 100% about them, just not as comfortable for me. Your height plays a huge role in comfort with your controls on the bike. Someone who is taller than me (I'm 5'9/10" depending on what convince store I'm leaving) would probably feel a lot better with the farther forward mid controls or forwards. I've thought about the farther forward controls myself, but the cost just isn't worth it to me.

I say try the highway pegs that mount in the forward holes first. They gave me a feel for what forwards are like on my bike. Much cheaper too, get the brackets on eBay and painted them, then I also found some factory sportster pegs on eBay for $8 shipped so I got those to put on the brackets. Here is my setup.

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 02-03-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:13 PM
DaleMc0622
Tourer
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I just switched from engine guard mounted highway pegs to forwards, so far I like the forwards better. I am not an aggressive rider and like the combo of the stretched out feeling of the forwards and still having my foot close to the controls. A friend of mine left pegs at the mid mount and has forwards, says it allows the aggressive riding comfort, I guess I am too old to want the aggressive ride. Try both, highway pegs are cheaper to try.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:24 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It really depends on the person. I personally dislike forward controls. You inseam will have a lot to say about which you will be comfortable with. I have a 29 inch inseam and forward controls causes a lot of discomfort and sometimes a lot of pain.
They have a new mid peg system. Perhaps that would help.
I like mid controls with cruise pegs. The way the Dyna bikes are made for cruise pegs it is rather simple to make a custom fitting cruise peg mount to fit you.
If you were in Alabama you could drop by for a ride on one of mine. Problem is with folks that take a ride on my Dyna bikes they always want to buy it.
Do you have any friends with forward controls? If so take a ride to see how they fit you or drop by a HD shop and take a test ride.

Last edited by dirtdobber; 02-03-2015 at 06:26 PM.

Quick Reply: forward controls