Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt Pulley Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 11:08 AM
Kevin714
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,948 Likes on 807 Posts
Default Belt Pulley Bolts

When on a nice ride with about 17 bikes to Ocala yesterday. Great weather and and even greater group of friends.

After we all split up to head our separate ways, I head a clicking sound from the left rear of my bike. Pulled over on US-1 to check it out and couldn't really see anything for the saddlebags.

Rode it another couple miles and it was great multitudes worst. Pulled off in a little strip mall, and when I rolled the bike I could feel it hitting something. Pretty much knew what it was then. Pulled the bag off and one pulley bolt was chewed up pretty bad, but what surprised me was that all 5 were so loose the washers would spin.

My friend that works at an indy shop put the pulley on and I watched him locite them all and torque them. I've heard of people having one come loose, but all 5?

Lucky I always carry a small tool kit and was able to make it safe enough for the 7 miles I had to ride home.

I've owned several bikes and have been riding for multitudes of years, and never had a pulley or sprocket bolt ever loosen up.

Knowing I was going to Ocala Sunday and Palm Bay Monday / today, last Wed while in the garage I thought I'd check them, due to the threads on here about people shearing them off, but I forgot to.

Missed out on the Palm Beach ride, but after checking the weather, I'm glad I did.

I will now be checking my pulley bolts often.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:24 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Did your friend reuse the old pulley bolts or use new ones?

Old 02-02-2015, 11:29 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

My Dyna pulley bolts are lock tited and torqued. After that, I put a paint stick mark over the head of the bolts and then down on the pulley. When I do my pre-ride inspection I look at the bolt heads to make sure the marks are still lined up. That said, I've never had any come loose.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:42 AM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

One other note to add to the above remarks: on my '010 FB the rear pulley bolts use a two-step torque setting as per the SM. And the SM specifically states only new bolts should be used. As critical as this fastener is, I definitely go 'by the book!'
~

Old 02-02-2015, 11:51 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by O-Town D
One other note to add to the above remarks: on my '010 FB the rear pulley bolts use a two-step torque setting as per the SM. And the SM specifically states only new bolts should be used. As critical as this fastener is, I definitely go 'by the book!'
~
Excellent point, OP does not indicated the year of his bike but his HD SM may not have the updated procedure put out by the HD Service Bulletin M-1219, April 15 2008.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:51 AM
Kevin714
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,948 Likes on 807 Posts

I don't think he used new bolts, not positive thou. I'm riding over there in a few hours, and have him put new bolts in.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:45 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I suggest you have the wheel removed and inspect the mating surfaces of the pulley and hub - its likely there will be some damage to both, at the very least the bolts should be replaced.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:50 AM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just curious, so what are the torque specs for the rear pulley?

Old 02-03-2015, 08:13 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mr Bentwrench
Just curious, so what are the torque specs for the rear pulley?
2012 Dyna HD SM: 60 ft-lbs, back off 180 degrees, final tighten 77 - 83 ft-lbs.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:25 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,834 Likes on 19,327 Posts

Yep ... This NEVER happens .... I get a kick out of reading the threads where riders tell a guy " I ALWAYS REUSE THE OLD BOLTS ... I've seen this happen several times ... An ounce ( or a few new bolts properly installed ) of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Quick Reply: Belt Pulley Bolts