Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt Pulley Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 05:38 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I have reused bolts from an older bagger that was converted to a trike (because it was the size I needed for my wider than stock hub). I installed these myself in February 2011 and never had one loosen up. I also only used blue loctite.

As another said, I keep a red paint mark on each bolt and washer to always quickly verify that they never move. I think the horror stories make it sound way worse than reality.

I say do whatever helps you to sleep at night.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:05 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

There has got to be something wrong with the mating surface or the bolts. My 01 manual does NOT say to replace the bolt, just to red them, and torque.
I have never replaced them and it is all that I can do to get them out when I do my tire.
I've had at least three different pulleys on it due to wear never had a problem, always hard to get them out, and yea even have to use heat sometimes.
Red Locktite bolts do not just come out, there has to be some reason.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:39 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Got to thinking, what year bike? Does it have the dampeners in the sprocket?

Old 02-04-2015, 07:50 PM
apetterez
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for black pully bolts. Where can i get some?

Old 02-04-2015, 08:15 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,835 Likes on 19,328 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
Some will say they are designed to shear off in an emergency situation but I have yet to see that in any official publication.

If you go aftermarket I would be dead sure you get a perfect match: not shorter, not longer, same thread amount etc. Install with 2-3 drops Loctite 262, torque properly and moniter. Even after all of this, personally I am buying these bolts from somebody with a rep that intended them to be used on HD pulleys. JMHO.
"Some will say they are designed to shear off in an emergency situation but I have yet to see that in any official publication" ... I hope this is meant to be funny ???

Old 02-04-2015, 08:48 PM
Kevin714
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,948 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by djack
It doesn't ever seem to be a problem until they are removed, then reinstalled, makes me wonder how many are replaced. I cant believe they come loose after being loctited.
In my original post I said I saw him loctite the bolts, but when I took them out to see what size I needed I didn't see any loctite on the threads of the old bolts.

I bought grade 8 bolts from Ace, and took it down to the shop. He has a real lift instead of a floor jack.

Everything looked good, he checked the threads in the hub and said they were good. I know for a fact he put red loctite on every bolt this time.

I've read pages of threads where people have had all 5 bolts shear off in the wheel. All 5 of mine just backed out, only one was hitting the swingarm, and it never broke off, just grinded the head down a little bit. Sure made a lot of noise.

I'll be checking them from now on.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:26 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
"Some will say they are designed to shear off in an emergency situation but I have yet to see that in any official publication" ... I hope this is meant to be funny ???
Not meant to be funny. There is a big pulley bolt failure thread here somewhere and I believe about 2 or 3 posters stated that they were designed to shear off to prevent rear wheel lock up. Not completely crazy, same type of design on commercial aircraft in case an engine starts coming apart the engine connections will give way before you lose the wing. Got a pilot buddy down the street that had an engine literally sheared off after takeoff, came back and landed with wing intack.