Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone upgrade from the street bob to the fat bob????

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 11:09 AM
dupmaronew
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone upgrade from the street bob to the fat bob????

I injured my back pretty badly about a year ago and haven't been able to ride as much as my back starts to hurt. I rode my buddies shadow a few weeks ago, the bike i sold him when I bought my Harley, and my back hurt way less. I'm assuming it's because I don't have my fist up in the wind.

The local dealer sent out an email saying that they have a special going on right now to trade in your used bike and get a 2015 for the same payments. I need to go talk to them to see exactly what it all entails but I'm thinking this might be the time to get a more comfortable ride.

Anyone out there move from the street bob to the fat bob?

Any fat bob owners want to give input on how they like them?

Any advise or info at all?

Old 01-01-2015, 11:24 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

The Fat Bob is easy handling bike but if you need a semi plush ride you will need to upgrade the rear shocks(taller and better) and the front end(Ricor Intiminators at least and maybe better springs).

Old 01-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 868 Likes on 547 Posts

Why not just get lower bars for your Street Bob?

Old 01-01-2015, 12:18 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 845 Posts

If you want a new bike, go for it, but you can change the riding position and suspension on your Street Bob any way you like, including to just like a Fat Bob. It's always nice to get a new bike, though.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:21 PM
dzzbob
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced my mini apes for carlini clean sweap t bars because after long rides my shoulders would hurt. Changing bars is much cheaper than a new bike. I would go and check out some bikes a the dealership and see what fits you best. Same payment on a new bike is very tempting though.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:31 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by dzzbob
I replaced my mini apes for carlini clean sweap t bars because after long rides my shoulders would hurt. Changing bars is much cheaper than a new bike. I would go and check out some bikes a the dealership and see what fits you best. Same payment on a new bike is very tempting though.
Agreed, but not if it's same payments for an additional x number of years

Old 01-01-2015, 12:31 PM
Simplespeed
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cheaper and cooler to set your bike up to fit your needs than to buy a new bike that will probably need some tweaking to be a perfect fit anyway. I love my apes but thinging about tossing them because a feel like a human parachute doing 80mph for 2 hrs straight.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:32 PM
Simplespeed
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

But if your looking for an excuse to buy a new bike, yours would be a good one to tell your ole lady.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:47 PM
dupmaronew
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah the new bike is what is tempting me big time. That's why I'm going to go check out exactly what the details of the offer are and see how much longer I would be paying.

Does the difference in the front end lend to handiling? It's it a better handling bike / more comfortable ride?

Old 01-01-2015, 01:06 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by dupmaronew
Yeah the new bike is what is tempting me big time. That's why I'm going to go check out exactly what the details of the offer are and see how much longer I would be paying.

Does the difference in the front end lend to handiling? It's it a better handling bike / more comfortable ride?
Frankly it totally depends on you (sorry to pass the buck), I tried the Fat Bob and didn't feel it was as comfortable as the SB, just different I suppose. I liked the forward controls on my previous sportster but they are way too forward for me on the Dyna so I like the slightly forward mids that I have on my SB (Same as Lowrider).

The forwards on the Fat Bob didn't seem as bad for me, apparently the seat on the FB moves you a little forward vs the SB. The handling seemed a little more agile on the SB but this could have been due to the control set up, I can't remember if they both use same size wheel. Lastly, depending on what your back challenges are, the location of the controls (if forward on either bike) could be putting undue pressure on your tailbone.

How old is your SB? Maybe that should be part of your decision as well, especially if there are marked differences between what you have now since the reality is that you could easily (and cheaply) change your fitting on the current bike.

Not to confuse the issue, but maybe look at the Lowrider, lots of comfort options there.

Quick Reply: Anyone upgrade from the street bob to the fat bob????