Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your Dyna today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 05:59 AM
FXDS
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today I rode it!

But a few weeks ago I put on an FLH guard, Lucas tail light and lowered front guard that I'd modified a couple of years ago but never finished painting.

As you can see, I started rubbing it back to re-primer it but didn't finish before leaving it stored under the house for a couple of years.

I'm now going rat style...

Old 08-14-2016, 07:35 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50
Been hearing that for a while. What is the reasoning behind that statement? Heard several reasons but would like to know yours. Thanks, tomp dd50

Weak cranks, No Timken bearings.....The lowers are so bad that they had to change the tolerances for crank runout so that they could "claim" that they were within specs.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:05 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

Funny thing is I can't remember any one with a new Harley having issues with the cranks and lack of timkins. If you want to talk about something new that Harley did that turned out a PITA let's talk about those hydraulic clutch issues. Those are not new to them but they have continuing issues. Glad my new Dyna S cam with a cable clutch.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:18 AM
Lifestarts@40
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Today is day 2 of ownership... I deleted those ugly reflectors on the forks and rear fender. Also, removed ugly sticker off of the the air cleaner cover.

Day number one was swapping out the head light for my Day Maker and replacing turn signals and tail lights for my Custom Dynamics LED's.

Oh, most importantly, I got 100 miles in.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:11 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
Funny thing is I can't remember any one with a new Harley having issues with the cranks and lack of timkins.
Hang around a motor shop for a while and you'll see lots of it. (Not a dealership shop, an actual motor shop.....You know, the kind with real mechanics instead of parts changers)

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
If you want to talk about something new that Harley did that turned out a PITA let's talk about those hydraulic clutch issues. Those are not new to them but they have continuing issues. Glad my new Dyna S cam with a cable clutch.
Hydraulic clutches, too much non user serviceable electronic crap, clunky 6 speeds.
But, I digress.....we were specifically talking about the cheesy lower end components and poor build quality in the engine that started with the '03 model year and has gotten progressively worse since then..

Old 08-14-2016, 09:15 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by SixDD
I'll have to remove the clutch release cover to replace clutch cable. I will have it on the road by next weekend. I would be fired if I did this type of thing for a living - I'm too slow.
slow is good... more zen time in the sweat shop

The following users liked this post:
SixDD (08-14-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 09:37 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by SixDD
I'll have to remove the clutch release cover to replace clutch cable. I will have it on the road by next weekend. I would be fired if I did this type of thing for a living - I'm too slow.

And your bike is turning out so incredibly well for the exact reason that you're moving slow; you're taking your time, each change is carefully thought out and then lovingly made. That's the Zen cvaria is speaking of, from first thought through motion to completion, each step is purposeful movement forward.

Do you think parts changers at a dealership could do the sort of start to finish quality work you're doing? Not a chance

Originally Posted by cvaria
slow is good... more zen time in the sweat shop

That's what some owners don't understand. The riding is only one half, the other half is the time spent with the bike in the garage. Those who don't do their own work are denying themselves half of what an HD really is...

The following users liked this post:
SixDD (08-14-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 05:17 PM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,902 Likes on 1,109 Posts

You guys understand!

Old 08-14-2016, 06:14 PM
confederate
Most Wanted
Received 806 Likes on 392 Posts

My new FL OE air cleaner cover and it's associated parts came in (screen, snorkel and bezel). So I assembled the air cleaner and began the install. Come to find out, the stock air cleaner bolt is too short. Off to Home Depot to pick up a longer allen bolt and washer. The new air cleaner clears the breathers on the backing plate, but it is right against the tank. Off to the dealer to get an air filter gasket. They don't have it, but the other dealer across town does. I go and pick up 2 gaskets just in case, good thing because I had to use both. Funny how a lot of the FL guys take these off to put on something else more to their liking and I go and order what they are taking off!!! I've always liked this cover since I seen it a couple of years ago and wanted it on my bike. Haven't seen a dyna with this cover yet, but I'm sure someone may have one on their bike. Here is how it looks. Probably not for everyone, but I like it........................

Old 08-14-2016, 06:41 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,738 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Qdog002
Really guys? It`s only 6 bucks!
That's what people said about their first cable bills. You, remember, the one's without commercials?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Dyna today?