Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your Dyna today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 03:06 PM
dieter621
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default FXDC today

Today I finally got around to putting in quiet baffles in my V&H Straight Shots. I decide to go to you tube and check out the install videos. That was a mistake. The videos showed removal of the chrome pipe covers before the actual install. It also included removal of the seran, (food type wrap) wrap over the fiberglass insulation that wraps around the baffle. DO NOT REMOVE THIS SERAN WRAP!!!

First do not remove the chrome exhaust covers! There is a Allen type bolt that holds the baffle in and can be reached with an Allen wrench. If you have a baffle in the exhaust remove it by backing out this ONE Allen bolt. It may be a bit hard because of carbon buildup.

NEXT! DO NOT REMOVE THE PLASTIC WRAP FROM THE NEW BAFFLE!!! If you do you will have to rewrap the fiberglass wrap so it fits into the exhaust pipe. Clear tape used for sealing shipping boxes at UPS will work fine. Take the new baffle and use the Allen bolt from the old baffle and insert it from the inside of the baffle to the point where it is flush with the outer most point of the new baffle. Align the new baffle hole with bolt with the hole in the exhaust pipe. If you lose one bolt go to Home Depot and for 11 cents you can buy a new one that you will have to shorten with a bolt cutter or hacksaw. Yes, I used a bolt cutter! You would think for 100 dollars they would include new bolts! Insert new baffles and tighten the bolt in each. Job done.

This is a one beer job. I did not have baffles in my Straight Shots and the sound was loud and sharp, even with ear plugs. The quiet baffles gave my FXDC a nice low throaty sound. I can even carry on a conversation next to the bike!

Motor On!!

Dieter

Old 04-22-2016, 03:14 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 734 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by dieter621
Today I finally got around to putting in quiet baffles in my V&H Straight Shots. I decide to go to you tube and check out the install videos. That was a mistake. The videos showed removal of the chrome pipe covers before the actual install. It also included removal of the seran, (food type wrap) wrap over the fiberglass insulation that wraps around the baffle. DO NOT REMOVE THIS SERAN WRAP!!!

First do not remove the chrome exhaust covers! There is a Allen type bolt that holds the baffle in and can be reached with an Allen wrench. If you have a baffle in the exhaust remove it by backing out this ONE Allen bolt. It may be a bit hard because of carbon buildup.

NEXT! DO NOT REMOVE THE PLASTIC WRAP FROM THE NEW BAFFLE!!! If you do you will have to rewrap the fiberglass wrap so it fits into the exhaust pipe. Clear tape used for sealing shipping boxes at UPS will work fine. Take the new baffle and use the Allen bolt from the old baffle and insert it from the inside of the baffle to the point where it is flush with the outer most point of the new baffle. Align the new baffle hole with bolt with the hole in the exhaust pipe. If you lose one bolt go to Home Depot and for 11 cents you can buy a new one that you will have to shorten with a bolt cutter or hacksaw. Yes, I used a bolt cutter! You would think for 100 dollars they would include new bolts! Insert new baffles and tighten the bolt in each. Job done.

This is a one beer job. I did not have baffles in my Straight Shots and the sound was loud and sharp, even with ear plugs. The quiet baffles gave my FXDC a nice low throaty sound. I can even carry on a conversation next to the bike!

Motor On!!

Dieter
I removed the plastic on mine as it would prevent the flow of air through the packing. After removing I used three small gauge wires and wrapped them tight around the packing to hold it on while putting the baffle back into the pipe. If you leave the plastic on won't it melt into the packing?

Old 04-22-2016, 03:16 PM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,902 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by 04FXDI
thanks SixDD, if that was for me.....whataya think of those cables? They're the right length but I was trying to figure out if I cant take that loop out of it.
I have those same mirrors to install. Edit: I think the cables are/look absolutely fine!

Last edited by SixDD; 04-22-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:25 PM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 905 Likes on 587 Posts

Thanks, I'll get a few pix up this weekend. I saw a bike last year when I was looking to buy that had the rounds, something about em that drew me to em, was never much of a fan of that oval style.

Originally Posted by SixDD
I have those same mirrors to install. Edit: I think the cables are/look absolutely fine!

Old 04-22-2016, 03:32 PM
dieter621
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default quiet baffle install

Originally Posted by Jay Guild
I removed the plastic on mine as it would prevent the flow of air through the packing. After removing I used three small gauge wires and wrapped them tight around the packing to hold it on while putting the baffle back into the pipe. If you leave the plastic on won't it melt into the packing?
I saw your post a while back. I decided to call tech support and was advised to leave the plastic type wrap in place. They count on it melting in and holding things together. This surprised me and then I figured if they wanted us to wrap the baffle the packing would come is separate sheets. I thought I would encounter a smell but everything is good.

Dieter

The following users liked this post:
Jay Guild (04-23-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 07:12 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Finally after seeing it done on a Superglide many years ago I mounted a bottle opener onto the battery cover. Both on the Street Bob and the Fat Bob. B0th are vivid black and the openers are bright red.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:52 PM
HarleyBob52
Road Warrior
Received 759 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by CJeep
Finished installing the HD docking hardware and turn sig relocation part of it. I don't love the look of them, but I did not want to spend more $ on actually relocating them. Clicked in my new-to-me sissy bar/backrest. Got it as seen, sideplates, sissybar, pad, luggage rack, and an HD medallion on the back for $140 shipped on ebay. It's mint. I'm kind of digging the look.

I just did this on my WG a week ago... Man them turn signal wires were a pain in the butt to get through those small holes

Old 04-22-2016, 09:38 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,196 Likes on 3,374 Posts

Talk about a vicious tease! The dealer service guy calls today; "Man your bike turned out great! It rips!, I want to take it for another ride!..."

But, they did not get the request into DynoJet in time, so no map for my set-up, they say. I can take it as-is, but it idles super choppy, and pops like mad on decel. I asked why they did not request this days ago, knowing we were doing the cams, etc...dead air.

So, Monday

Did the 585 cams (talked out of the 595), pushrods, Bassani RR Mega, and the PowerVision.

So bummed.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:04 PM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 905 Likes on 587 Posts

Hell yeah......just waiting for the rain to subside so I can install this badass. Had the guys at FuelMoto install the map for my V&H BigShots & Ness Big Sucker

Old 04-23-2016, 12:14 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Very nice!

And of course we all know you'll be complying with that warning on the box, right? Closed racing courses for you from now on. You're a good steward of the environment and a close follower of all rules and regulations...

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Dyna today?