Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your Dyna today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 01:27 PM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Received 1,237 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Dagobert
98Hotrodfatboy,

Just imagine you wouldn't know how it was supposed to look like. Lets say you are the technical design director at H-D. If you were offered 2 options;
1st one is what they are using now,
2nd option is the one from the picture I'm sending in now.

If you would only think from a traveler's p.o.v.; it needs to be functional and practical, and handy + easy fixable at the side of the road, with as less as possible space and weight for tools or spare-parts, and most important; "do whatever you can to make sure your clients holiday will not get ruined" (even if that would save you 2 dollar for every sold bike).

Would you really choose a tiny little
ring that is actually ment for only one time use and need unnecessary extra care? Would you really not care that some of your clients who are not very experienced, or not handling careful enough, or who don't have all the exact proper tools, will for sure loose the part?

Remember where Harley originates from. The old liberators were ment to be taken apart for about 99% with only 2 tools. It used to be as practical as it possibly could to survive (literally). And for a long time every modification for new models would also (more or less) fit to the older models. That's one of the basic ideas about 'the Harley feeling' that is unfortunately, totally lost here...

"Make Harley-Davidson great(er) again"
I WOULD NOT pick your "design". That is a hack. The OEM design allows for the correct space tolerances by design. How are you adjusting for the correct gap? With a feeler gauge? Is that a Nyloc nut to keep the gap? As I mentioned, if the circlip is never damaged during removal or install, it won't fail. If you have so many circlips falling off your bike, what the **** else is falling off that you don't know about? Also, I never said the circlip had to be replaced every removal, I said that I replaced mine. And if you're not "careful enough or don't have the right tools" as you mention, you shouldn't be working on anything, much less a 600lb motorcycle that can kill you.

is it a Harley, or Swiss watch?
That has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Many parts of your motorcycle, not just that circlip require a keen eye, or a steady hand as well as the correct tools and precision. As the saying goes though, "if all you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail"

98Hotrodfatboy,

My point is;
Why ask people to be more careful and pay more attention?
Why buy extra tools and parts that are not everywhere available, while a 10mm bolt and nut you can find everywhere?
Why use parts that are ment for one time use only?
While a simple modification would make things much more comfortable.

Personally, I rarely meet anyone who goes out on the road as extremely well prepared like you do. I'm sure for you it's no problem,
But you do know not everyone is a very experienced mechanic, right? and you also know most of us are not carrying around new spare circlips in all sizes with the exact tools for it. and why should we all, if there's an easier way?
Look man, I never intended my reply to bust your *****. I was trying to kindly point out that if you want to be a mechanic, even a shade-tree mechanic that you need to care for your tools and learn how to use them properly. If you can't do those 2 basic things, your just an ******* monkeying with a motorcycle.

Old 07-20-2022, 03:22 PM
Dagobert
Intermediate
Location: the Netherlands (Holland) _ Leiden (your 'Founding Fathers' original city of residence)
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Snake Eyes,

I do know how I'm supposed to do it, and that the OEM way is good enough also, but I like modifications that make my bike more reliable, or easier to work on, or better looking. And we both know I'm not the only one (most shovelhead drivers would certainly agree to that).

Yes that's a lock nut and a ring at the bottom side indeed, and it works fine for me.

Just like all other things that you don't really need but some of us want them anyway (like lock-tide, or more horsepower, or S&S gear drive chain tensioner, for example)

If that 'will kill me', or 'make me an ******* monkeying a motorcycle' , that's fine for me, as long as I'm happy with that.

And you're not 'busting my *****' , I appreciate someone's honest true opinion and arguments.

Old 07-20-2022, 03:40 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,411 Likes on 3,619 Posts

Snake Eyes,

I do know how I'm supposed to do it, and that the OEM way is good enough also, but I like modifications that make my bike more reliable, or easier to work on, or better looking. And we both know I'm not the only one (most shovelhead drivers would certainly agree to that).

Yes that's a lock nut and a ring at the bottom side indeed, and it works fine for me.

Just like all other things that you don't really need but some of us want them anyway (like lock-tide, or more horsepower, or S&S gear drive chain tensioner, for example)

If that 'will kill me', or 'make me an ******* monkeying a motorcycle' , that's fine for me, as long as I'm happy with that.

And you're not 'busting my *****' , I appreciate someone's honest true opinion and arguments.
I think I quoted a wrong post..

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 07-20-2022 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-20-2022, 04:05 PM
Dagobert
Intermediate
Location: the Netherlands (Holland) _ Leiden (your 'Founding Fathers' original city of residence)

no problem man, I also tend to mix up you and snake eyes in this long chat. Let's just stay with bikes tips and tricks and experiences from now...

Old 07-20-2022, 05:50 PM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 871 Likes on 618 Posts

OK, here's my two cents...

Your fix is a good one, given you didn't have access to the right parts. (Anything that gets you home without damaging the bike is a good fix!)

In my experience, circlips are not "single use" and do not require special tools to install or remove. When properly installed, they are just as good as a nut and bolt, maybe better. When you squeeze that lever the cable end imparts a rotating force on the bolt. If that were an airplane system, you would have to use a positive locking device, like a cotter pin or safety wire.

The following 2 users liked this post by John CC:
2500hdon37s (07-20-2022), Dagobert (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 06:46 PM
Uncle 'B'
Cruiser
Received 230 Likes on 96 Posts

I wish I could buy everybody on this thread a puppy so they could feel the love that I'm feeling.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:25 PM
Dagobert
Intermediate

Originally Posted by John CC
OK, here's my two cents...

Your fix is a good one, given you didn't have access to the right parts. (Anything that gets you home without damaging the bike is a good fix!)

In my experience, circlips are not "single use" and do not require special tools to install or remove. When properly installed, they are just as good as a nut and bolt, maybe better. When you squeeze that lever the cable end imparts a rotating force on the bolt. If that were an airplane system, you would have to use a positive locking device, like a cotter pin or safety wire.
John CC,

The clutch-cable doesn't end directly on the bolt. Are you sure you didn't mix up part nr 'A' and part nr 'C'? (see picture). Happened last week also in this chat.

I added a ring between the locknut and the clutch-lever-bracket, and 2 plastic covers (part nr 2 , see picture) between the bolt and the handlever (part nr 3). Both can help to slide instead of making the nut rotate, but you've added a very good point anyway (thanks!). I'll put some more bearing grease between to make extra sure.

The 'emergency' reason is not the main thing to me. Circlips might not be as bad as it seemed, I still don't see why I wouldn't prefer the bolt+nut. (sorry)

Last edited by Dagobert; 07-20-2022 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-21-2022, 08:16 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 871 Likes on 618 Posts

Don't worry; it's not an airplane...

Old 07-21-2022, 02:47 PM
quikdyna
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by John CC
Don't worry; it's not an airplane...
LOL. Well then you just aren't riding fast enough...off a cliff...

No I will NOT try it myself.

Old 07-21-2022, 02:58 PM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,014 Likes on 603 Posts

The clevis pin and clip look much cleaner and well engineered. I can see no real reason to change it other than for the sake of change. Microsoft....bring back win 2000 pro service pack 4

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Dyna today?