Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your Dyna today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 07:55 PM
Capt_Salty
Tourer
Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts

I tried to do an autotune with my FP3 and had lots of issues... Finally got it in autotune mode, rode a while and did an "apply." Then I rode some more and did an apply and finish.... DAMN That sucked!!! The bike didn't run worth crap. I limped back home and reloaded the first map from when I installed the FP3. Will try again, maybe tomorrow. I guess you really need to do 3 or more "apply" and "ride" sequences? I also had issues where it would just display a long warning message instead of going to the autotune menu.
If/when I buy a touring bike, I reckon I'll skip V&H and go directly to a ThunderMax instead... just don't want to spend that kind of $$$ on this Dyna.
At least it was a great day to be riding here in the Redneck Riviera!

The following users liked this post:
fxdup (04-29-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 11:47 PM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 723 Likes on 443 Posts

Yeah. Mine runs great as is. Idk if I'll autotune or not. I did change the throttle progressivity I think. Haven't rode it since though. RAIN. Idk if the change took or not. I found it, sput the wheel to moderate, then reflashed the current map. I would think I'll be able to tell, if not, watch some YouTube and hopefully get it done.
The whole idea is kinda confusing. I understand it's NOT really just how far ya twist the wick, it's posta make it more responsive. We'll see.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:38 AM
Capt_Salty
Tourer

I'm PO'ed at how many attempts did not work as documented. I got multiple 0400 errors also. As for the throttle response, my 2008 isn't fly-by-wire.
I just wish their software wasn't so iffy!

Old 04-28-2019, 02:05 PM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt_Salty
I tried to do an autotune with my FP3 and had lots of issues... Finally got it in autotune mode, rode a while and did an "apply." Then I rode some more and did an apply and finish.... DAMN That sucked!!! The bike didn't run worth crap. I limped back home and reloaded the first map from when I installed the FP3. Will try again, maybe tomorrow. I guess you really need to do 3 or more "apply" and "ride" sequences? I also had issues where it would just display a long warning message instead of going to the autotune menu.
If/when I buy a touring bike, I reckon I'll skip V&H and go directly to a ThunderMax instead... just don't want to spend that kind of $$$ on this Dyna.
At least it was a great day to be riding here in the Redneck Riviera!
I think V&H recommend at least a tank of gas when autotuning. I autotuned mine for almost a month (approx 600 miles) before i hit finish. For the most part my bike runs really well, but I'm still not completely satisfied, so i'm going to try using a different base map and autotune again.

Last edited by Mark Faulkner; 04-28-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:31 PM
Capt_Salty
Tourer

Yep. I probably tried to short cut the autotune cycle... At least after reloading my original map the bike is more or less back to normal, just still sucks more fuel,,, When I have more patients and a better frame of mind, I'll try to do autotune again.
I did get about 160+ miles today...

Mark Faulkner (04-28-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 06:38 AM
jaysnafu
Club Member
Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts

Added hardware to run saddlebags AND detachable sissy bar (Crows Perch by made my The Forge)

Old 04-29-2019, 09:28 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,695 Likes on 3,086 Posts

Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer
Well, I'm a bit disappointed. Went to the HD shop yesterday to get new tires. Was quoted over the phone about $520 out the door, but when I get there, the guy says, "whoever it was didn't save the quote, so we can't honor it", and then tells me, "that price is WAY too low. It's going to be $850 for Dunlops"! I HATE Dunlops!!! Last set I got was so squirrelly in the rain I wanted to avoid it like the plague, and corners even on a dry road were iffy, and they were nearly twice what my previous set of cheap King tires cost, and only lasted less than HALF as long!! The guy says, "Hang on.", then goes to crunch some numbers, and comes back with, "Best I can do is $808, since we can't do discounts anymore, and the "special" we had on free installation ended last week." When I say, NO, he says, "Hold on", and then just takes off. After about 5 minutes, I'm done, get back on my bike and go home. You can bet your bottom dollar they are NOT going to be getting MY money!! I had called several other shops in town, and another HD dealer had already quoted me $750 out the door for Michelins, but a NON-HD shop had quoted me $420 out the door for Michelin Commander IIs. Guess who I'm getting my tires from? Wife is going to stop today to make the payment, and I'll probably have to wait a week or so for them to arrive, and then I'll get them installed, but it'll save me nearly HALF as much as it would have been at the HD place. I do have a $50 gift card I won at that HD place, though, so figuring to use it for the $50 fee to setup my fob (bike didn't come with one, so got one on eBay for $25) to work on the bike instead, and unless I win another card like that, I won't be spending a PENNY in that place!!
Maybe that dealership had a "BOGO" set offer going on! Actually, what you should be doing is getting the tires you want online, then remove your wheels and take everything down to your indie. (Might wanna get the tires ordered by the 30th (tomorrow,) as that's when the rebate offers end...) For most all the tire makers.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:07 AM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Maybe that dealership had a "BOGO" set offer going on! Actually, what you should be doing is getting the tires you want online, then remove your wheels and take everything down to your indie. (Might wanna get the tires ordered by the 30th (tomorrow,) as that's when the rebate offers end...) For most all the tire makers.
Thanks, but I already ordered the tires from that other shop for $451 for the set, with 1 tube and both rim strips, plus an extra $23 for the 2nd tube, and it might cost me $100 to have them installed/mounted/balanced. STILL, that's WAY better than the $850 the HD shop wanted!! Maybe next time I'll buy the tires online myself, and then take the rims in to have them installed. That same shop will mount/balance them for $25 per tire off the bike. Considering using the DynaBeads or RideOn in them, though, as lots of people I know love them, and no more weights on the wheels. Would love to swap to mag wheels, though, and avoid the tube as well. I've heard of some guys using that FlexSeal, or something like it, on the inside of the rims, though, instead of rim strips and tubes, and they can then go tubeless. Not sure I'm brave enough for that, though.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:44 PM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Took a ride around town then around Lake Hood.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:40 AM
Capt_Salty
Tourer

Still haven't attacked autotune again... but I did order a sport luggage rack. Will come in handy for multi-day road trips since my Viking bags are rather small, er, tiny?

fxdup (04-30-2019)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Dyna today?