Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your Dyna today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 04:04 PM
S&S145
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I RODE IT LIKE I STOLE IT . 266 MILES OF TWISTIES AND HARDCORE BACK ROAD STRAIGHTS AND OTHER ROADS.......DIDN'T GET BELOW 4000 RPM All day .lIOVE it,RACE it, love it-RIDE IT !!!!

Old 10-22-2018, 06:56 AM
kcfocust
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

Added LAChoppers 2" Riser Extensions to my Lowrider... gives my about a 6" total rise plus another 3-4" rise from the stock bars. Bike felt GREAT afterward. Now to save for true one piece kit.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:56 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,763 Likes on 3,119 Posts

Originally Posted by CryingJoker
A little scale from the bearing carryover, but looks like a little love from steel wool will clean it up. Freaked me out a little since a buddy recently had a rear bearing fail and take everything including the wheel and even the caliper mount. So yeh instant butt pucker realizing I was possibly on borrowed time.
Mine did the exact same.
Wheel
Caliper mount
Rotor
Axle

My bearing was literally "sawn" in half, right through the race. The loose ***** began to destroy the bearing mating surface in the wheel.
Bike has never seen rain, or high pressure washing, or anything other than post ride dusting or bug removal. 6200 miles when this happened. Warrantied.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:49 AM
rs1250xl
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Mine did the exact same.
Wheel
Caliper mount
Rotor
Axle

My bearing was literally "sawn" in half, right through the race. The loose ***** began to destroy the bearing mating surface in the wheel.
Bike has never seen rain, or high pressure washing, or anything other than post ride dusting or bug removal. 6200 miles when this happened. Warrantied.
I would bet excessive belt tension or misalignment. I replaced mine when I did my rear tire around 8k and found the pulley side bearing was nearly shot. I bought the bike used, but I had checked the belt tension shortly before the tire replacement and had to back it off a bit. I deal with polychain belts on an industrial level. They are great for certain things, but they are hell on bearings when they are over tightened.

It was car work this weekend so the only thing I got to do on the bike was check out my new Shoei RF-SR while running to get parts.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:11 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,763 Likes on 3,119 Posts

Originally Posted by rs1250xl
I would bet excessive belt tension or misalignment. I replaced mine when I did my rear tire around 8k and found the pulley side bearing was nearly shot. I bought the bike used, but I had checked the belt tension shortly before the tire replacement and had to back it off a bit. I deal with polychain belts on an industrial level. They are great for certain things, but they are hell on bearings when they are over tightened.

Thank you for that, as I completely forgot about how "stupid tight" the MOCO sends their bikes out the doors. Yes, 1/2" slop is ok for these belts. They don't need to be like a guital string. Mine was too tight at delivery, and again after the dealership R & R'd my rear assembly. I noticed it when I reversed the axle direction, back on mile 30 or so. ( When I get a new bike, I go over it top to bottom with tools.)
I've found some pretty scary things in my day.
Chrysler LeBaron rear brake wasn't assembled correctly, for instance.
Loose motor mounts and other loose fasteners on 4 new HD's over the span of 23 years. Make that 24...

Anyway, thanks for the reminder, and ride safe!

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 10-22-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:48 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,776 Likes on 986 Posts

I removed my jiffy stand, disassembled it, cleaned, lubed and reinstalled. It was challenging because of my limited bike lift options. I made a thread about it if anyone's interested.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:09 PM
rs1250xl
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Thank you for that, as I completely forgot about how "stupid tight" the MOCO sends their bikes out the doors. Yes, 1/2" slop is ok for these belts. They don't need to be like a guital string. Mine was too tight at delivery, and again after the dealership R & R'd my rear assembly. I noticed it when I reversed the axle direction, back on mile 30 or so. ( When I get a new bike, I go over it top to bottom with tools.)
I've found some pretty scary things in my day.
Chrysler LeBaron rear brake wasn't assembled correctly, for instance.
Loose motor mounts and other loose fasteners on 4 new HD's over the span of 23 years. Make that 24...

Anyway, thanks for the reminder, and ride safe!
To be fair, Gate's official spec for polychain belts is WAY too tight. Ever see a shaft deflect due to belt tension? It's also pretty common for folks to think tighter is better for belts. They get it after you have them tear down a gearbox three weeks after it was installed and show them the tore up output bearing.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:54 PM
Capt_Salty
Tourer
Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Got her home!

After a few months of being kept in my neighbors garage, I finally moved and/or threw out enough *crap* so I can get my Superglide in my garage!
However, since there is still tons of (worthless?) junk in said garage, I don't have much room to work on the bike (ain't marriage great...)
But at least now I don't have to worry about disturbing my buddy whenever I want to go for a ride!

Old 10-22-2018, 11:21 PM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,014 Likes on 603 Posts

I just use my tire chauk

Old 10-23-2018, 04:09 AM
tcazes
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesrider.df
I removed my jiffy stand, disassembled it, cleaned, lubed and reinstalled. It was challenging because of my limited bike lift options. I made a thread about it if anyone's interested.
real **** i just lean my bike against the wall on its right side and chock the wheels. bike isnt going anywhere and it makes it super simple to remove.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Dyna today?