Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your Dyna today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 11:31 PM
dirtdreamer50
Elite HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
Yeah, read that this morning. I think the headline is taking his statement somewhat out of context. Good for click bait but I don't know if it's strictly accurate.

He said it, but only in the context of "corporate identity". In a global economy and a mature, even constricting, market segment, it seems wise to think beyond one's borders and expand brand identity to be more inclusive.

It's not like he said they are shutting down US manufacturing and importing bikes from Turkey...or whatever.

In the end, it's just typical corporate market speak. Want something less...nuanced? Stay away from publicly traded companies. IMO.
Totally agree, but didn't want to bias it for others. His job is to make the company more profitable, which adding offshore facilities will do, but Harleys have been "American Made", since 1903, and saying it's not as important to it's buyers than freedom, is like apples to oranges marketing.
FWIW, I have four bikes, and feel free when riding any one of them, not just my Harley. tp

Old 10-21-2018, 12:40 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I think they're in a bit of an identity crisis. They need to keep their traditional buyers but want to entice a younger and more international crowd. Holding on to the old "badass biker" image is likely seen as limiting (at best) or damaging (at worst)...so they're trying to be seen as a "friendlier" company.

IMO.

Personally, I think the whole thing is pointless. Either the product deliver what I want or it doesn't. I'd just as soon not know WHAT the board of directors is thinking/saying. Of course I prefer Harley be built here from parts made here, but I don't need the marketing spin. They're all just like politicians, saying and doing whatever it takes to keep dividends and profits up for their own benefit. Just give me a good bike and don't be evil.

All that said, I'm not in the target demographic. I only buy old, used stuff and then completely rebuild it anyway. LOL!

Last edited by cggorman; 10-21-2018 at 12:46 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:48 AM
dirtdreamer50
Elite HDF Member

All that said, I'm not in the target demographic. I only buy old, used stuff and then completely rebuild it anyway. LOL!
And this thread proves that to be true... tp

Old 10-21-2018, 02:26 AM
rossWG
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I think they're in a bit of an identity crisis. They need to keep their traditional buyers but want to entice a younger and more international crowd. Holding on to the old "badass biker" image is likely seen as limiting (at best) or damaging (at worst)...so they're trying to be seen as a "friendlier" company.

IMO.

Personally, I think the whole thing is pointless. Either the product deliver what I want or it doesn't. I'd just as soon not know WHAT the board of directors is thinking/saying. Of course I prefer Harley be built here from parts made here, but I don't need the marketing spin. They're all just like politicians, saying and doing whatever it takes to keep dividends and profits up for their own benefit. Just give me a good bike and don't be evil.

Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50
Totally agree, but didn't want to bias it for others. His job is to make the company more profitable, which adding offshore facilities will do, but Harleys have been "American Made", since 1903, and saying it's not as important to it's buyers than freedom, is like apples to oranges marketing.
FWIW, I have four bikes, and feel free when riding any one of them, not just my Harley. tp
for me, my version of harley freedom, was the last day of my warranty.

i am not sure what " All for Freedom, Freedom for All", actually means, unless he is taking a stand against the world's less democratic regime's
Is the HD policy to build bikes with limited after market custom, and take the profit at source, or market a bike, with a stronger presence in 'after market' support, where i would have thought there are better profit margins

Old 10-21-2018, 07:51 AM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,902 Likes on 1,109 Posts

This morning I ordered a set of Arlen Ness Chrome Switch Housings. I think they will look great with the new chrome grips. I guess I wont be needing the new chrome switch housing screws I ordered. Maybe I'll include them when I sell the OEM black switch housings on Ebay. Maybe, eventually I will chrome everything on the handlebars. Hmm, I wonder if I can chrome polished aluminum triple trees. Then add chrome lowers and an 80 spoke front wheel. OK, I'm dreaming, but who knows, maybe!

I like to decorate the bike. I wouldn't exactly call it modding or customizing - lol.

Last edited by SixDD; 10-21-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:44 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,695 Likes on 3,086 Posts

Landmark Mfg. had grips like those, only they weren't chromed. They were stainless steel polished to a chrome lustre.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:30 AM
SixDD
Banned

Those sound nice. These are the ones I got. They are aluminum with a chrome finish. I like them a lot. I didnt pay quite that much for them. I had gold member discount plus enough credit points accumulated to cash in.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/534...-diamond-grips

Last edited by SixDD; 10-21-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:37 AM
dirtdreamer50
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by SixDD
Those sound nice. These are the ones I got. They are aluminum with a chrome finish. I like them a lot. I didnt pay quite that much for them. I had gold member discount plus enough credit points accumulated to cash in.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/534...-diamond-grips
Being soild, will they allow vibrations to be transmitted to the hands? tp

Old 10-21-2018, 10:48 AM
SixDD
Banned

Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50
Being soild, will they allow vibrations to be transmitted to the hands? tp
I like vibrations; lets me know I'm riding a motorcycle - lol.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:56 AM
CryingJoker
Road Master
Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

Finished breaking down the wheels this morning. Might be a good thing I decided on powder coat. One bearing had significant Scoaring marks and quite a bit of rust on the inboard side. Looks like not much longer and I would have had a very expensive problem.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Dyna today?