Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your Dyna today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 10:11 AM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team
Received 1,032 Likes on 600 Posts

Installed my new to me Viking bags I picked up off another member. They were extremely easy to install, and the fit and finish is great. I love the way they look.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:10 PM
Tall Timber
Road Warrior
Received 425 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
My little issue I posted about a few pages back? Spent some time talking with the good folks at Frankenstein. I own this one; it's my fault that flange nut went missing; I thought I was smarter than the install instructions. Uh, nope.

When it came to installing the swingarm/rear fork to the Wide Glide, I followed the SM. The Dyna swingarms are modified by Frankenstein at the rear to mount to their axle housing star plates but the swingarm is still all Dyna when it comes to the pivot bearing, spacers, pivot shaft, etc. So, I followed the SM. And I ignored that note in the conversion instructions about 'red locktite' on the pivot shaft to secure the flange nut. The SM doesn't call for it, so I didn't use it. Don't do that

Once a trike the Dyna moves differently and that flange nut can potentially become loose; in my case, that potentially is confirmed.

::: hanging head in shame :::

'If I can't be a good example, I'll just have to be a horrible warning'
Good to know it’s an easy mistake and equally easy fix.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:20 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,771 Likes on 982 Posts

Mistakes? Here's mine.

I installed some Viking saddlebags a couple months ago. The mounting hardware is pretty bad, but with longer bolts from the hardware store, they were on. Even with spacers they are pretty close to the shocks, so I've been checking them a couple times a week. I finally started to relax, when this week I discovered the bottom of the bags are hitting if the shocks get compressed enough. A screw on the belt guard/cover took a chunk out of one of the bags. On the other side, the axle nut was hitting it.

So, took them off and added yet another spacer. Finally in the clear, but I don't like out these things stick out. I ended up filling damaged part of the bag with JB Weld. Fortunately it's not visible. My bad for the damage. Overall. definitely a case of "you get what you pay for."

The following users liked this post:
dieter621 (08-31-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 02:25 AM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,902 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Today I am going to install some different foot pegs and get one more ride in to test them out before I start disassembling the handlebars(etc.). I'm thinking these footpegs will be perfect for me. A little longer, thinner, and smooth solid polished aluminum foot pegs. Along with the hammerhead designs shifter I'm hoping to have the feel/performance nailed. You can see them in this picture scotch taped to the current foot pegs. The hammerhead shifter is not installed in this picture.

Last edited by SixDD; 08-23-2018 at 02:28 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:09 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,557 Likes on 808 Posts

Didn't do anything to the bike, but I did promote the Good Guy on a Harley image by helping a high school girl push her broken down car out of traffic.

The following users liked this post:
SixDD (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 09:39 AM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team
Received 1,032 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesrider.df
Mistakes? Here's mine.

I installed some Viking saddlebags a couple months ago. The mounting hardware is pretty bad, but with longer bolts from the hardware store, they were on. Even with spacers they are pretty close to the shocks, so I've been checking them a couple times a week. I finally started to relax, when this week I discovered the bottom of the bags are hitting if the shocks get compressed enough. A screw on the belt guard/cover took a chunk out of one of the bags. On the other side, the axle nut was hitting it.

So, took them off and added yet another spacer. Finally in the clear, but I don't like out these things stick out. I ended up filling damaged part of the bag with JB Weld. Fortunately it's not visible. My bad for the damage. Overall. definitely a case of "you get what you pay for."
Glad to hear you got that sorted out. Did you get the quick detach system or are yours rigid mounted? Reason i ask is I am wondering if your bags have any "flop" in them when you pull the bottom of the bag away from the strut.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:06 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,771 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by brownie4412
Glad to hear you got that sorted out. Did you get the quick detach system or are yours rigid mounted? Reason i ask is I am wondering if your bags have any "flop" in them when you pull the bottom of the bag away from the strut.
I got the "Lamellar Large Leather Shock Cutout" bags. They aren't very large! Quick detach isn't an option with these because they are too small for that option.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:44 AM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,902 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Just doing some research on OEM handlebar cables and wiring routing, etc. I found all I need.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:24 AM
SMFtwstdHICK
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was able to jump on the bike today and get a little riding in. Just puttin around the neighborhood for now. Getting comfortable with the bike. It's getting better. Was able to get a pic of the bike as well.

]

Last edited by SMFtwstdHICK; 08-24-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:10 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 734 Likes on 564 Posts

Gave the bike a wash after doing 1100 miles earlier this week with a buddy. The oil filter on my 2 Guyz mount leaked at the seal and had to put a quart in at 800 miles. Any suggestions on reusable oil filters?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Dyna today?