Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your Dyna today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 09:48 PM
STRES
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer
Yeah, those seem to be the main things most folks who've been here miss, along with Dion's. You could always come back for a visit!
Yea I was trying to remember Dion's but just couldn't remember the name.
The Dog house is also great plus many more yea I really miss living there. I'll be back someday hopefully soon.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:04 AM
Tall Timber
Road Warrior
Received 425 Likes on 259 Posts

Rolled them both out into the backyard so I could clean out the garage (and give the 14 a scrub).

Also hit 50K on the 14

Old 08-19-2018, 12:19 AM
AFDynaRider
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I flushed brake fluid, replaced the rear brake pads, and lubed my throttle cables. Rockouts will be going in tomorrow.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:24 AM
OldKent
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tall Timber
Rolled them both out into the backyard so I could clean out the garage (and give the 14 a scrub).

Also hit 50K on the 14
Those two are beautiful! Love that fat front end!

The following users liked this post:
Tall Timber (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 04:36 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

... 'well, there's your problem' ...

Great ride today, the bike has been running so flawlessly, not one issue at all since the conversion; right after getting back in to town this afternoon I noticed a vibration running through the bars on acceleration. Pulled off on a side street to look the bike over. The HD #8050 pivot shaft flange nut was gone, and the pivot shaft had started walking out of the swingarm and transmission boss. That's not good, not at all; thank the gods for the exhaust support bracket stopping the shaft before it could run out; that could have been a catastrophic failure/death.

Took side streets and eased her home gently.

I am at a complete loss how that flange nut came loose; I mark all critical fasteners at 12 o'clock. And I know that flange nut was at 12 o'clock before I left today; part of my pre-flight ritual. That shaft nut was torqued to 75 ft-lbs; confirmed on both the shaft nut and on the flange nut. Thankfully the exhaust support bracket stopped the shaft before the threaded end hit the pivot bearing.

I'm going to chat up Daniel at Frankenstein tomorrow; the Dyna lives and dies by that pivot shaft and the transmission boss. I wonder if much like the fallaway needs to be adjusted tighter, perhaps the 75 ft-lbs spec on the pivot shaft isn't enough once you trike your ride.

Ignore the clear adhesive in the image; I've lost enough of those stupid chrome plug covers so that now it's habit to use silicone on them. That shaft must have moved with a quickness; it trapped the chrome plug cover against the exhaust support bracket. A small win, I guess. My butt will unpucker, eventually...

Old 08-19-2018, 05:05 PM
rs1250xl
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Replaced the throttle cable that snapped earlier this week. Also ordered a few more parts for my winter front end upgrade....

Old 08-19-2018, 06:08 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 734 Likes on 564 Posts

Got the exhaust back on and went out for a test ride before heading out for the Legacy Run. I didn't notice any problems and the weld job my buddy did on the header looks strong. Let's see how well it holds up over four days of riding.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:21 PM
AFDynaRider
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice

Great ride today, the bike has been running so flawlessly, not one issue at all since the conversion; right after getting back in to town this afternoon I noticed a vibration running through the bars on acceleration. Pulled off on a side street to look the bike over. The HD #8050 pivot shaft flange nut was gone, and the pivot shaft had started walking out of the swingarm and transmission boss. That's not good, not at all; thank the gods for the exhaust support bracket stopping the shaft before it could run out; that could have been a catastrophic failure/death.

I am at a complete loss how that flange nut came loose; I mark all critical fasteners at 12 o'clock. And I know that flange nut was at 12 o'clock before I left today; part of my pre-flight ritual. That shaft nut was torqued to 75 ft-lbs; confirmed on both the shaft nut and on the flange nut. Thankfully the exhaust support bracket stopped the shaft before the threaded end hit the pivot bearing.

I'm going to chat up Daniel at Frankenstein tomorrow; the Dyna lives and dies by that pivot shaft and the transmission boss. I wonder if much like the fallaway needs to be adjusted tighter, perhaps the 75 ft-lbs spec on the pivot shaft isn't enough once you trike your ride.

Ignore the clear adhesive in the image; I've lost enough of those stupid chrome plug covers so that now it's habit to use silicone on them. That shaft must have moved with a quickness; it trapped the chrome plug cover against the exhaust support bracket. A small win, I guess. My butt will unpucker, eventually...

Wow! That's very scary. That could have been very bad. I'm glad you were able to catch it before a catastrophic failure.

TinCupChalice (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 06:27 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Time to cross drill that axle and install a safety wire or cotter pin.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:35 PM
Tall Timber
Road Warrior
Received 425 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice

Thats unfortunate but lucky at the same time. I always say knowing your machine is key especially when something is amiss and you 'feel' it immediately.

What do you use to mark the fittings, something that obviously comes off with a little solvent or the like?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Dyna today?