Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

124" winter build...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015 | 10:17 PM
monster715
|
Road Warrior

Thanks for the love boys I really do appreciate it. It sucks coming home right now, I'm still expecting his big smile and wagging tail on the other side of that door. In other news I tore *** off to work this morning and on the way home the bike started making the same noise it was making when I blew a head gasket. At least it sounds similar, the cylinders are dry as a bone so it's not leaking oil externally but something isn't right... I got another turn or so out of the rear exhaust flange so I'm praying it's an exhaust leak and not a head gasket again.. The bike was plenty warm by the time I hammered it and I know I torqued the heads right this time so if it's a head gasket again I don't know what to think. My luck a stud is coming loose or something (fingers crossed). Is there anyway that the head gasket could be blown but still holding oil?? It's not the same as before, the bike was hot on my way home and I heard it while blasting down the freeway. I ride the bike hard but in no way am I beating the **** out of it, I asked a lot more out of that 96" then Im asking of this 124. I'll know more tomorrow I guess when I take it to work

Old 05-01-2015 | 02:23 AM
fxdlx
Road Master

Sorry for your loss man. I know it' tuff. I'm a dog person too. Got three dogs now.
And I like you're newest mod, cool.

Old 05-01-2015 | 06:52 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Sorry to hear of Thumper's passing, absolutely like losing one of the family. I watch our two Golden's as they are about to go into their 11th year and wonder how difficult it will be when we don't have them in our lives.

Old 05-01-2015 | 09:08 AM
monster715
|
Road Warrior

Well I went to work this morning, took it nice and easy for the first 10-15 miles and then hammered on it pretty good getting back into the freeway... Didn't make a sound.. And the cylinders are still dry... I'm guessing it was the rear exhaust flange leaking, it didn't seem nearly loose enough to leak but I guess it's possible. This things driving me nuts haha, I'm going to go back to riding with earbuds so I can't hear anything

Old 05-01-2015 | 10:44 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by monster715
Well I went to work this morning, took it nice and easy for the first 10-15 miles and then hammered on it pretty good getting back into the freeway... Didn't make a sound.. And the cylinders are still dry... I'm guessing it was the rear exhaust flange leaking, it didn't seem nearly loose enough to leak but I guess it's possible. This things driving me nuts haha, I'm going to go back to riding with earbuds so I can't hear anything
Hilarious, I was just thinking the same thing, I've started riding with ear plugs and sometimes music via my helmet. Now when I do the short ride from work to home I keep "hearing things" that freak me out, wondering if they're normal.

Old 05-01-2015 | 06:14 PM
monster715
|
Road Warrior

Ok the noise is back and started to sound worse as I got the bike home. It's only doing it now when it's hot outside (90s today). Kinda sounds the same as the head gasket leak but I have no idea anymore, it acts like pinging but I thought that before. The valve train has started getting a little louder, I'll pull the pr tubes tomorrow and check the adjustment, also I'll check compression and do a leak down test. Top of the cylinders are still dry as a bone

Last edited by monster715; 05-01-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-01-2015 | 11:39 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

Is it maybe coming from your primary??? Something loose? Comp gone? Tensioner tight enough, so it don't slap?

I would also recheck the pushrods.

Old 05-03-2015 | 09:01 PM
monster715
|
Road Warrior

Ok I did a leak down test today and a compression test. Leak down test was in the green on both cylinders so I was happy to see that. I also soaped around the head gasket and didn't see any bubbles when the cylinder was pressurized. The compression check however I'm confused on the correct way to do with these easy start cams. The cylinders were within about 2 psi of each other but it was down around 140 with the throttle wide open. I'm assuming it's so low because the exhaust valve is being slightly held open while cranking on the starter. Anyway it was good to see the cylinders so close to each other. I did find where it looks like the front exhaust flange is leaking, there's soot on the head near the left flange nut. I'm praying that is the sound that I'm hearing, I'll get new gaskets tomorrow.

I also took the primary cover off and found the chain had slacked quite a bit and was hitting the cover on the bottom again. I didn't take the comp off to look at it, I'll do that when I change back to the 32T pulley. I'm trying to hold out for the baker comp before I do that. That primary is noisy as hell and I can't figure out why, even after I resdjusted the chain it's still noisy. Only thing I can think is the bandit clutch or just the fact that there's only 16 oz of fluid in there.

Anyone know the right way to do a compression test with easy start cams?

Old 05-03-2015 | 10:07 PM
XFXDX
Road Master

I hope it's just the exhaust. Dude, what you been thru with this thing... Mind blown! Haha. Learning tons tho, right!?

I bet you are right with the primary. The oil will act to dampen any noise coming outta there, for sure! Less oil, more noise. As for the compression test with the easy starts, try calling S&S in the AM? I'm interested to hear as well...

Old 05-03-2015 | 10:11 PM
monster715
|
Road Warrior

I just did some reading over at htt and from what I've read there's 2 options. Either collapse the exhaust pushrods and crank it over or pull the injector plugs one at a time and fire the motor up on one cylinder.. I'm going to shoot Kirby an email and see what he thinks

Quick Reply: 124" winter build...