Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

124" winter build...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015 | 07:50 PM
monster715
|
Road Warrior

Yes the press makes life easier for sure. I'm not a fan of harbor freight tools by any means but I picked that press up for $120 brand new.. For something I won't use but a couple times a year I think it will work fine. The bandit will use the same bearing I pressed out, I was referring to the inner race on that bearing for pressing it out. The outer race is behind a shoulder on the basket so you can't press it out by that. However you do press the new bearing in by the outer race from the other side.

Old 01-30-2015 | 08:06 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Hey monster, what press are you using and did it come with the press plugs you used or did you buy them separately?

Last edited by HD Pilot; 01-30-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-30-2015 | 08:23 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by vdop
Which race? Are you talking about the inner primary bearing? This is the clutch hub bearing. The new clutch hub will press into this bearing in the basket.
Race on the main shaft. Was just curious if bandit does something different?

Old 01-30-2015 | 09:13 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Bandit clutch just replaces the OEM clutch. Everything else is the same.

Old 01-30-2015 | 09:53 PM
monster715
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
Hey monster, what press are you using and did it come with the press plugs you used or did you buy them separately?
It's just the harbor freight 12 ton press. Got it for $120 around Christmas forseeing some of this stuff coming. I hate paying people to do things that I can do you know? It didn't come with any plugs but I had a bearing/ seal driver set I got off Amazon for cheap a while back. If none of those work I put socket on the bearing with a thick washer between the socket and press to try to prevent damaging the socket. Gotta make due haha

Old 01-30-2015 | 10:14 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
Bandit clutch just replaces the OEM clutch. Everything else is the same.
Sounds good. I was reading elsewhere a whole back about the race going away, but that might have been from replacing the trans w/ baker setup....must have misread.

Old 01-30-2015 | 10:19 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by monster715
It's just the harbor freight 12 ton press. Got it for $120 around Christmas forseeing some of this stuff coming. I hate paying people to do things that I can do you know? It didn't come with any plugs but I had a bearing/ seal driver set I got off Amazon for cheap a while back. If none of those work I put socket on the bearing with a thick washer between the socket and press to try to prevent damaging the socket. Gotta make due haha
Been looking at the harbor press myself since I have a new bearing and Scorpion clutch setup that I still yet to install. Harley freakin wanted almost $100 just to press out old and press in the new hub.....told them to go scratch!

Old 01-30-2015 | 10:34 PM
monster715
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HD Bobber
Been looking at the harbor press myself since I have a new bearing and Scorpion clutch setup that I still yet to install. Harley freakin wanted almost $100 just to press out old and press in the new hub.....told them to go scratch!
That would damn near pay for the tool. Obviously the clutch was already out of the bike but it literally took longer to write the post than it did to press the thing apart. If you got room for the press I'd say go for it. No more beating the **** out of everything to get things apart haha. Hammers are too loud, press is nice and quite

Old 01-31-2015 | 06:10 AM
vdop
Road Master

Originally Posted by HD Bobber
Sounds good. I was reading elsewhere a whole back about the race going away, but that might have been from replacing the trans w/ baker setup....must have misread.
Sounds like you're talking about the inner primary bearing. Baker makes a sealed bearing that eliminates the pressed on race but they don't make one for the '08-up mainshaft, yet.

Old 01-31-2015 | 06:45 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by vdop
Sounds like you're talking about the inner primary bearing. Baker makes a sealed bearing that eliminates the pressed on race but they don't make one for the '08-up mainshaft, yet.
Yup that's it Vdop, thanks. Wanted to do those, "while you are in there you might as well" sort of things. Baker came out with the comp for our bike so im sure they will come out with that piece too.

Quick Reply: 124" winter build...