Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

124" winter build...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015 | 09:49 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Sorry to keep asking questions, but was getting the main shaft seal out difficult, any tricks or tools used?

Old 01-18-2015 | 12:43 AM
monster715
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
Sorry to keep asking questions, but was getting the main shaft seal out difficult, any tricks or tools used?
No worries man fire away. The mainshaft seal was a piece of cake. After the mainshaft was out of the MDG I just popped it out with a screwdriver. Oiled up the new one and tapped it in with a rubber mallet. It sits inboard of the face of the gear (can't remember the measurement off hand). I used a deep socket to finish driving it in the rest of the way (15/16 socket??). I suck at detailed threads haha

Edit: .090 is the depth to drive the seal to. It pretty much stops when it hits the mainshaft bearing at that depth

Last edited by monster715; 01-18-2015 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-18-2015 | 05:19 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member

The george's garage pulley locking tool has a rubber boot on the handle but it isn't designed to be used with the 30t Andrews which is why it didn't contact the nut in your swingarm.

Monster. .I didn't see but did you replace the small MDG seal? The one the mainshaft goes through.

You can kind of see it here between the MDG and mainshaft

Edit: sounds like you did. Good idea to replace it. How were the needle bearings in your MDG? Mine were a little pitted. Not severe but I replaced them anyway.

Alan,

You don't have to remove the gearset to remove it but. .it's a pain to get out. Not much room to use a pick or screws.

Last edited by mattVA; 01-18-2015 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-18-2015 | 11:37 AM
monster715
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mattVA
The george's garage pulley locking tool has a rubber boot on the handle but it isn't designed to be used with the 30t Andrews which is why it didn't contact the nut in your swingarm.

Monster. .I didn't see but did you replace the small MDG seal? The one the mainshaft goes through.

Edit: sounds like you did. Good idea to replace it. How were the needle bearings in your MDG? Mine were a little pitted. Not severe but I replaced them anyway.

Alan,

You don't have to remove the gearset to remove it but. .it's a pain to get out. Not much room to use a pick or screws.
The description on the locking tool said it would fit the 30t but I know what your saying, it doesn't really fit. I wonder if it would really fit any better on the 32t tho? The rubber on the handle seems pointless to me, every pic I've found of the tool being used, the body rests on the swingarm, not the handle. The mainshaft bearing looked great, all in all everything I looked at in the tranny looked brand new. That mainshaft seal would be a pain in the *** with the mainshaft still in the tranny

Old 01-18-2015 | 11:41 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by monster715
The description on the locking tool said it would fit the 30t but I know what your saying, it doesn't really fit. I wonder if it would really fit any better on the 32t tho? The rubber on the handle seems pointless to me, every pic I've found of the tool being used, the body rests on the swingarm, not the handle. The mainshaft bearing looked great, all in all everything I looked at in the tranny looked brand new. That mainshaft seal would be a pain in the *** with the mainshaft still in the tranny
Yeah I'm not sure I just remember talking to George about the tool and he said it isn't designed for the 30T.

Trust me that seal was awful getting out I had to give up and try again a couple times. Some sort of tiny sheet metal screw, some locking pliers, and a slide hammer might work.

Old 01-18-2015 | 01:01 PM
monster715
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mattVA
Yeah I'm not sure I just remember talking to George about the tool and he said it isn't designed for the 30T.

Trust me that seal was awful getting out I had to give up and try again a couple times. Some sort of tiny sheet metal screw, some locking pliers, and a slide hammer might work.
Did you try to remove it with the mainshaft still in? I thought you replaced your case and had everything out already?

Old 01-18-2015 | 03:21 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by monster715
Did you try to remove it with the mainshaft still in? I thought you replaced your case and had everything out already?
Before I broke the case I replaced all the seals. It was a pain.

Old 01-22-2015 | 05:41 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Community Team

What's the word, Thunderbird!!

Any news on anything; cases back together, new aluminum swing arm installed, fresh nitrogen in the tires?

Anything at all will do

Old 01-22-2015 | 06:46 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Any longer an yer gunna have to switch over to spring air in the tires.....

Old 01-22-2015 | 06:47 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Bored suede?

Quick Reply: 124" winter build...