Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

124" winter build...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015 | 09:59 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Community Team

Wow, you're really tearing into this thing, good stuff, thanks again

Old 01-17-2015 | 05:51 PM
monster715
|
Road Warrior

I got the mainshaft seal and the trap door gasket on today. After that I was able to press the IPB race on the mainshaft. Heated it up a little in the oven at 250* for about 20 minutes. Oiled the **** out of it, the shaft and the tool and it went on without much fight. Book calls for it to be .100-.125 from the MDG, I think mine ended up around .117

After that it was time for the sprocket nut. Oil both the face of the nut and the sprocket. Red loctite, torque to 35ft lbs, back off and re torque. Then another 35*-45* of a turn. My torque wrench topped out at 250 well before the 35* mark. I ended up having to break out the impact to get it there. I stopped short of 45* because I wanted to make sure the nut locking plate still lined up with the holes in the pulley.

Red loctite the retaining bolts and torque to spec. I want to say around 105in lbs but don't hold me to that.. And the pulley is finally on!

Last edited by monster715; 01-17-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-17-2015 | 06:02 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member

What did you rest the pulley locking tool on to torque the nut?

Old 01-17-2015 | 06:07 PM
monster715
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mattVA
What did you rest the pulley locking tool on to torque the nut?
It ended up resting on the pivot part of the swingarm. Not the nut like it says but the swingarm itself. I stuffed a rag under it but it still ended up slightly chipping the paint. I'll put a dab of touch up on it

Old 01-17-2015 | 06:13 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Community Team

Man, that's the sharpest looking pulley locking tool I've ever seen! I think I'd put that on the mantle in the living room when not in use

Good stuff on oiling the face surfaces

Old 01-17-2015 | 06:24 PM
Wide N Low 13
Cruiser

Book calls for it to be .100-.125 from the MDG, I think mine ended up around .117

I've used the removal tool to set the spacing of the race to the MDG (measuring the removal tool to make sure it is with in MOCO specs first). Works like a charm!

Awesome work! Living vicariously through this thread!

Old 01-17-2015 | 06:43 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

Nicely done man! She's gettin there. Soon enough your going to be ripping the **** out of her!

What bike lift is that....been eyeballing a few and want to get some info on who has what.

Old 01-17-2015 | 06:49 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Looks good man. Lots of pics! Like that. Helps others. Props!

Old 01-17-2015 | 07:31 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

That Georges Garage pulley lock looks better than the one I got off EBay. Where are the picks of the main shaft seal install? Do you really have to pull the transmission out for that?
Are you using all HD seals or anything else?

Thanks for the pics, guess I am getting greedy!!

That picture of the transmission kept me up last night, just so you know!

Last edited by HD Pilot; 01-17-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-17-2015 | 08:29 PM
monster715
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
Man, that's the sharpest looking pulley locking tool I've ever seen! I think I'd put that on the mantle in the living room when not in use

Good stuff on oiling the face surfaces
Yea its a nice looking tool. And it better be for $100, unreal, there's nothing to it. They could at least put some rubber around it to keep it from damaging the swing arm

Originally Posted by Wide N Low 13
Book calls for it to be .100-.125 from the MDG, I think mine ended up around .117

I've used the removal tool to set the spacing of the race to the MDG (measuring the removal tool to make sure it is with in MOCO specs first). Works like a charm!

Awesome work! Living vicariously through this thread!
I bought the heartland removal tool and i can't remember what it measures but I know that it's thicker then .100. It does fit in there nicely now I checked after the install

Originally Posted by HD Bobber
Nicely done man! She's gettin there. Soon enough your going to be ripping the **** out of her!

What bike lift is that....been eyeballing a few and want to get some info on who has what.
Thanks man! It's a direct lift. Best tool I've bought to date aside from the FSM

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
That Georges Garage pulley lock looks better than the one I got off EBay. Where are the picks of the main shaft seal install? Do you really have to pull the transmission out for that?
Are you using all HD seals or anything else?

Thanks for the pics, guess I am getting greedy!!

That picture of the transmission kept me up last night, just so you know!
I thought about snapping a picture of the mainshaft seal install but it was literally just tapping it in with a rubber mallet and driving it in the rest of the way with a socket. Pretty simple. I pulled the gearset out because I wanted to replace the trap door gasket. The mainshaft seal got slightly damaged because the gearset was hung up from coming out so I was tugging on it. Then I realized I was about to snap my distick off. Honestly the seal was probably fine but I could just see it leaking in the future and kicking myself in the *** for not doing it while I was already there. Yea I've been using all HD seals. And yea I've been having trouble sleeping for the last month haha

Originally Posted by soft 02
Looks good man. Lots of pics! Like that. Helps others. Props!
I'm going ton try and keep the pics coming. I'm working on a pretty slick setup for an oil pressure gauge right now too

Quick Reply: 124" winter build...