Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Street Bob Fender on Fat Bob Write Up

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 04:34 PM
grebskiFXDF
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Street Bob Fender on Fat Bob Write Up

Hey guys so recently I attached a 2012 street bob fender on to my 2009 fat bob. I took lots of pictures and figured I'd post a quick guide on what I did and how I did it since the normal route is to go wide glide.

I chose a street bob fender because I like the narrowness of it and don't mind the small gap between the struts and frame.

First things first, remove the seat to expose the wire harness under the seat. note: you don't need to remove the battery or anything of that matter.

Unplug the rear tail-light connector

Using a floor jack or equivalent, place the jack under the rear swing arm and raise the bike to take tension off the shocks.

Now that the bike is lifted, remove the screws on the inner side of the fender to release the turn signals.

Remove both shocks on either side of the bike. Then remove the 2 screws on both sides of the bikes to remove the struts. The fender will come right off at this point.

Next comes to making a custom tail light. I used a 12 LED light bar (generic) off ebay for around $27. Using a DMM, I ohmed out original harley connector to find out which wires correspond to brakes, signals etc. The top left is the left signal, fat right wire is the right signal. The purple is ground and other 2 are running or license plate, either will work. I add wire to the light bar and connector to about 3 feet, measure 2x and cut once depending on how you go. I sleeved the cable with snakes skin to shield it form the environment.

To attach the new cable, I used the cheap 3M adhesive zip ties brackets along with zip ties to route it up the middle of the fender. I attached the LED tail/brake/signal light bar using 3M 25lb double sided tape and simple metal tabs found in the door department of home depot. Apply and trim up with an exacto knife and position at the center of the fender.

To re-attach the fender, simply use the old struts and mounting hardware. On my bike I had quick attach brackets for a back rest. To make the front bolts reach the struts/fender I got 2" 3/8 bolts form Lowes. Re-attach until the struts apply lots of tension and apply blue Locktite.

Presto!

Old 12-09-2014, 07:32 PM
linewatch
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Good job. That looks really good.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:57 PM
rmeg08
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice!

Old 12-10-2014, 10:26 AM
grebskiFXDF
Cruiser

thanks guys

Old 12-10-2014, 11:41 AM
ArmyRXP
Intermediate

Grebski,

What exhaust you running? Is that the Super Radius? If so can you post some daylight pics and a sound clip? I just bought the chrome ones for my '13 Fat Bob due to shipping to Hawaii for the 2 into 1. How do you like it and what sound plug you running?

Gary

Old 12-10-2014, 12:31 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 192 Likes on 148 Posts

Looks good! Thanks for doing a write up on it too.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:12 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

The tape marks left on the inside of that fender look like my old fender (did I sell you that fender?) The fender looks good on your ride, only change I would have made is running the wire along the corner radius of the fender where there is zero possiblity of contact with the tire.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:04 AM
grebskiFXDF
Cruiser

Originally Posted by blueangel73
The tape marks left on the inside of that fender look like my old fender (did I sell you that fender?) The fender looks good on your ride, only change I would have made is running the wire along the corner radius of the fender where there is zero possiblity of contact with the tire.
Honestly, I wouldn't doubt it. I bought it from another member, but maybe you sold it to him.

Last edited by grebskiFXDF; 12-11-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:16 AM
BobberG
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blueangel73
Haha that's funny you recognized it. I did sell it to him. I went thru like 3 fenders until I finally made up my damn mind.
grebskiFXDF...glad it worked out for you, man. It does look good!

Old 12-15-2014, 11:33 AM
billatstarbrite
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool mod! Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: Custom Street Bob Fender on Fat Bob Write Up