Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suicide shifter

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 04:41 AM
codsack
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suicide shifter

I'm toying with the idea of putting a suicide shift on my 07' SB..... I know, they call it a suicide for a reason, but I find neutral at almost stop light already, so I'm not one to hold the clutch at every red light. One of the only reasons I ask is should I set up my clutch control (foot controlled) for up or down? Pulling up on my foot would seems natural, but does anyone have any input why I should/shouldn't pull up or down for my clutch pedal?Up would seem easier though too. I don't have any problem getting materials, or the tools (mig welder) to make such a converson.I'd probablyuse the stock shifter and chop it to make it into a clutch pedal andpaint it wrinkle coat as Ihave usedthat already on my sissybar and signal lights.

I was looking my SB over and it doesn't seem that big of a deal to fab and set my bike up for a suicide being that I already know how to fabricate and weld. I'm prob. gonna extend my brake along with this conversion. I ride with the "highway cruise pegs" and shift/brake with my heels right now. The only thing I worry about is deflection, if Iused 1/2" round bar to make my extended clutch/brake pedal.

Chase

Old 04-15-2007, 01:45 PM
HDCB
Novice
Default RE: suicide shifter

well, im kinda new. . . . i dont have any suggestions for you, but was curious as to what you mean by suicide shifter. i dont think i know what that means. maybe if someone had some time to give me a quick idea i would like to learn. thanks guys.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:07 PM
tireater
Banned

By having a foot clutch - you can't put that foot down when you stop or the bike will crash...
SEEMS LIKE A DUMB IDEA...how about a clutch on the stick shifter...U R going to ruin resale - if you don't crash it...

Old 04-15-2007, 02:53 PM
dailydriver
Road Captain

I'm going through my favorite bike sites but I remember a site that had a right hand shift bracket so you still use you hand clutch...Your hand comes off the throttle when you shift..No big deal there unless your running the1/4 mile...I'll post it when I find it..Keep the rubber side down... LATER

Old 04-15-2007, 03:01 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: HDCB

well, im kinda new. . . . i dont have any suggestions for you, but was curious as to what you mean by suicide shifter. i dont think i know what that means. maybe if someone had some time to give me a quick idea i would like to learn. thanks guys.
Suicide shifter is a nick-name for a hand-shifter mounted onto a motorcycle. The name is derived from the fact that to operate one, a rider must perform the risky maneuver of removing one hand from the handlebars while shifting. Suicide shifters are not usually sold as an aftermarket part, but instead, have to be fabricated for the target vehicle.

Types of shifters
Clutchless Suicide Shifter - This is where the shifter is a regular **** and involves the semi-complex task of two-handed shifting. One hand is used to press the clutch lever on the handlebars and the second hand is used to shift gears. A poorly designed motorcycle will have the clutch and a clutchless shifter on the same side making shifting during operation extremely dangerous or even impossible.
Clutched Suicide Shifter - This shifter has a clutch lever on it allowing one-handed shifting. This shifter is preferred since greater steering control is retained during shifting.

Usage
Suicide shifters were common on mid-20th century Harley-Davidson motorcylces but are considered obsolete and are not found on modern motorcycles. Some custom motorcycle makers will fabricate a suicide shifter when creating a retro design.
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_shifter"[/align]

Old 04-15-2007, 04:58 PM
PsTaN
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'd look towards mounting the clutch on the shifter as one assembly. Buy a broomstick drag bar, hand control, grip, clutch cable,and lever. Mount all that upon one end to be used vertically.Then weld your brackets/etc. off the other end for fitment to the bike. I'm sure there would be quite a great deal of trial and error involved, but I think it would work.

PsTaN

Old 04-15-2007, 05:09 PM
lolife
Road Warrior

got a freind that wrecked and cruched his leg from a suicide shift and he was going a 4mph....crazy i witnessed the thing..........but that wouldnt persuade me not to have one........I plan on building a little chopper this summer where I will have what I like to call a jockey shift....where clutch lever is mounted on shift lever..................I like the whole idea, go for it dude.....................................LOLIFE... ........................................

Old 04-15-2007, 05:47 PM
codsack
Advanced

I'd like to keep the shifter lever clean and clutch with my foot, but I might put the clutch on the shifter just to make it a bit easier to ride. I ride with one hand on the bars about 85% of the time already so I'm not scared of having to shift with my hand. As far as resale, I'm not really worried about it. I'm not trying to keep it all stock, so that I can trade it back in on anything. Halfof the fenders are already missing and few other things HD might fraun upon. I plan on holding onto it for a good while. Besides, who wants to be like everyone else? I'm gonna think about a couple different ideas as far as clutch locale, if/when I start on this project I'll get some pics of it.I've seen a few pics ofsomeJockey shifts and some suicides at a couple shows, but would still like to see some more if anyone has some for inspiration. Thanks for the input guys.
Chase

Old 04-15-2007, 06:06 PM
Noride
Tourer

The jockey shift idea doesn't seem so bad... The alternative makes me wonder how it even came about.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:06 PM
Trotter
Banned

My 1941 EL and 1950 FL both have foot clutch, There a blast, Do it..

Quick Reply: suicide shifter