Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suicide shifter

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 06:07 PM
jonpiper
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: suicide shifter

ORIGINAL: tireater

By having a foot clutch - you can't put that foot down when you stop or the bike will crash...
SEEMS LIKE A DUMB IDEA...how about a clutch on the stick shifter...U R going to ruin resale - if you don't crash it...
hmmm... seems strange to me that you of all people are against this idea .

Old 04-15-2007, 06:14 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

You want the clutch and shifter on the left sideand it shouldpush down to operate it with a strong return spring to ease it out like your car. The shift lever should push forward to shift down intofirst then pull back to go 2,3,4,5,6 then forward to go 6,5,4,3,2,N,1. It should also have some really cool looking old school shifter **** on it.

You might even consider a hydraulic clutch actuator system which will give you a better "feel" and better reliability and maybe easier fabrication. You could use a HD rear brake master cylinder set upto operate it and maybe a forward controls brake pedal set up for the clutch pedal. Just a thought.

In any case.....post your results. After you re-learn how to ride your "new" motorcycle.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:36 AM
mud
muderator
Received 9,023 Likes on 2,102 Posts

ORIGINAL: HDCB

.................................................. ................................
but was curious as to what you mean by suicide shifter.
i dont think i know what that means.
maybe if someone had some time to give me a quick idea i would like to learn. thanks guys.
CB, here's a couple pix of a suicide clutch.

I found this machine in a barn about 25-30 years ago.
No extra charge for the rotted leather, rock hard rubber, rust, and faded paint.

Turned it onto a friend and he restored it and still has it to this day.
I took these pix a few months ago. 1922 model I do believe. 1000 cc.

Note the springer front end with concealed springs and
the springed seat with hidden springs.

mud

Old 04-16-2007, 12:40 AM
codsack
Advanced

Thanks for the positive support on this.....The only thing I'm thinking about with a foot clutch is shifting fast. I know I probably shouldn't be shifting fast on a suicide. I guess it'd take some getting used to. I think I'm gonna start gettin materials together here in the next day or two. The shifter won't be a problem at all, just gotta find a suitable ****. The foot clutch is what I'm gonna have to look at and fab. up some stuff for. I don't plan on tearing up the original equipment incase I want to redesign something or go back to conventional controls. The whole idea has me a bit antsy, but you don't know till you try it out and I'm willing to do just about anything once. I'll keep you guys updated.
Chase

Old 04-16-2007, 12:44 AM
06dynablack
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

suicide shifter just doesnt seem right on a newer ride for some reason just my opinion

Old 04-16-2007, 12:47 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I would seriously consider an 8-ball shift **** since you have a black bike to begin with....and it's a "section-8" modification to begin with.......

Old 04-16-2007, 01:19 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd keep the clutch on the left side foot and shift with your left hand. I've seen some bikes in the rags (Hot Bike, V-Twin, the Horse, etc) with suicide set ups. I'd think that a press down clutch actuation and 1 fwd 2-6 back would be most natural, but no personal experience. Look at www.vtwinmfg.com for some conversion kits. You can buy them at a pretty decent discount at www.cyborgcycles.com. An eight ball or a dice type shift **** would be pretty cool. Best of luck with the project.

R/ Priest

Old 04-16-2007, 01:59 AM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member

While a cool mod, I've always thought dudes using them were a little unhinged.

Good luck with it. I gotta see pics of this when your done.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:32 PM
JimboFXD
Cruiser

I've been running my 99FXD with a foot clutch/suicide shift for awhile now and wouldn't change back.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:54 PM
shooter64
Former Sponsor

foot clutch (hydraulic) and an autoclutch, that way you can put both feet down when bike is stopped. I have had several bikes like that and it's awesome...takes all the work out of ridinga suicide shift.

Quick Reply: suicide shifter