Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Distressed leather bags fading to orange

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 09:34 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 278 Posts
Default Distressed leather bags fading to orange

After a few years and many thousands of happy touring miles, my distressed leather saddlebags are starting to fade to an almost orange hued light brown. Anyone ever have these professionally "re-colored" by a shoemaker/leather shop? Down for the season now...

Old 11-15-2014, 12:55 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,260 Likes on 12,068 Posts
Old 11-16-2014, 06:27 AM
chamba
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1. it will look great, you can do the dye.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:18 PM
Chase1961
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone tried dying the HD distressed bags? I was told they have some type of coating, preventing the dye to work.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:52 AM
harley0101
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to check youtube. I think I saw some videos on there a while back.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:41 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Well sharkey,
You've got several topics about these bag's, that's a good thing, your looking for plenty of info.
Yes a pro can re-color your bags, a large set like that is going to set ya back 100-150 (pro's need to make a living) and what they'll do is what another member has already told ya;
If you really must re-color, Fiebings have leather dye that will do the job for you, however you will need to clean the bags up first to remove any protectant you put on there over time. You can use accetone to clean up but go REAL lightly with the stuff and give the bags a good hour before you start coloring to ensure all accetone has evaporated away. Follow the directions on the bottle of dye when applying the color.
Fiebings is the stuff, it's an alcohol based leather stain, you might need 8-12oz to do the job. In my humble opinion, your distressed bags will end up with a solid color (sans the feathered edges) but still look old now because of the years on them.

It is something you can do yourself, Fiebings can be thinned easily up to 50% with denatured alcohol, and it's hard to screw up, if you don't like the looks just go over it again. Be sure to strip the finish as described with acetone (i'd wait 24hrs). If you want to add back the distressed look, just wait till the Fiebings has dried, then work the edges with denatured alcohol to pull the color back out.
If you don't want to do the job yourself, bring them into a leather/tack/shoe repair shop and they'll give you a quote

Old 11-17-2014, 08:20 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

this is what I use on ALL my leather every yr,, just make sure it an alcohol based oil and not Water based

http://www.dressageextensions.com/images/large/1427.jpg

Old 11-17-2014, 09:50 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 278 Posts

There's a leather shop in nearby city I've used a couple of times, but never for something like this...think I'll take the bags into him on Thursday and see what he says. I know it can be DIY, but I also think I know what that stuff could smell like...and I'm hoping he has a commercial grade product available...will keep you all "posted"

Old 11-18-2014, 12:39 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

No smell.
The acetone is nasty for the stripping part but evaporates fast, easy enough to ventilate,, But the stain has no scent,,
He'll probably use Feibings too, it's highly rated amongst the pro's.
I work with leather/hides in another venue (FurTrade era/Rendezvous) so I do understand being apprehensive of trying a large project like this as a first attempt.
Just be sure you and the pro decide/agree what color/shade you want when it's done before you start.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:51 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,027 Likes on 4,214 Posts

Are those Harley bags that started out black? That is amazing. Mine appear to be black all the way thru and I do little to take care of them.

Quick Reply: Distressed leather bags fading to orange