Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchase Advice (2002 FXDX vs. 2009 FXD)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 11:44 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Well let me help ya' out there...

The '02 has a hot forged crank WITH the Timken lefty bearing (last year for it.) The '09 is cast. Want the bearing set up? It's in the S/E Perf0rmance Parts book and you have to disassemble an '09 to install it.

The '02 has a shorter stroke which means less piston speed and a faster revving engine.

The '02 has double row 21 mm wide wheel bearings that last and last (I switched mine out at 100,000 miles, the second set now have 45,000 miles on them and still running strong.) The '09 has single row 15mm bearings that should be changed with the tires (IMO.)

And the early inner primary bearings lasted forever (Mine is still original.)Try that on an '06 and later Big Twin.

So I have no interest in any Big Twin Harleys '07 or later. The '02 is simply a better motorcycle.
Couldn't have said it better... Look, I own a 08 fxd and don't get me wrong I love this bike grey cases and all. The OP is looking for the club look and both bikes will get you there man. Here's my 08

Having said that, if I knew 5 years ago what I know now I'd go with the fxdx 10 times out of 10. It's a bike that is much more superior than the newer dynas. It's already got the suspension that the newer dynas need to get to that "club" form and like mentioned before has a much more stout bottom end. I don't know where these guys get off thinking their 96" will smoke a 88", stock bike for stock bike, because I can tell you first hand that my 96" is a turd. That's why she's coming out this winter to become a 106". I don't care if your trying to go fast or just learning, the fxdx is more nimble and easier to ride then the 09 fxd hands down. Don't be intimidated by the carb, if it's tuned right it's not a big deal. I wish I would have posted what you did 5 years ago because I'd be riding a fxdx or fxdxt. Go for the fxdx, you'll kick youself in the *** in a year if you don't.

Edit: Just to reiterate what I already said, the "stiffer frame" is also heavier and yes you can feel it. Before I upgraded my suspension my bagger would damn near keep up with my dyna. The "stiffer front end", again is heavier and again you can feel it. The sixth speed you will only use over 80mph so don't read into that too much (you can take your money you would spend on suspension for the 09 and buy a baker). And I wouldn't take my advice from someone comparing my twin cam to a weed eater(below). Take the better suspension and the dual front disk (and that pesky carb). Just my worthless .02

Last edited by monster715; 11-09-2014 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:50 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Well let me help ya' out there...

The '02 has a hot forged crank WITH the Timken lefty bearing (last year for it.) The '09 is cast. Want the bearing set up? It's in the S/E Perf0rmance Parts book and you have to disassemble an '09 to install it.

The '02 has a shorter stroke which means less piston speed and a faster revving engine.

The '02 has double row 21 mm wide wheel bearings that last and last (I switched mine out at 100,000 miles, the second set now have 45,000 miles on them and still running strong.) The '09 has single row 15mm bearings that should be changed with the tires (IMO.)

And the early inner primary bearings lasted forever (Mine is still original.)Try that on an '06 and later Big Twin.

So I have no interest in any Big Twin Harleys '07 or later. The '02 is simply a better motorcycle.
Granted, the forged crank *IS* much better, but I've yet to hear about anything in the 07's and later making the cast one a constant problem. At 70,000 miles on my '09 I've not had a problem with what's in it.

A "shorter stroke" doesn't equal anything 'better'...it just means faster to rev and that's all. I could say that I've got a weedeater two-stroke that's got your "shorter stroke" H-D beat by a million miles.

Agreed about the wheel bearings. I forgot about those. I've had to replace mine three times in 70,000 miles. Not a real bitch-about thing, but it makes it a PITA because it *must* be rememberred to check constantly, rather than put in and forget for a good while.

As for the inner primary bearing...I've yet to hear/read about it being a constant problem on 07's and later also. Mine's still original on my '09 @70,000 miles and going strong. I don't see what the big deal is yet. I wouldn't *mind* having a timken put in, just for future upgrade protection, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it either.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:24 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We get it Tar Snake, you think the 07 and up Dynas are better, even though the shortcomings of that model have been clearly outlined by guys who have owned them both.

I would also like to add that the oem fuel injection setup is garbage, the compensator on 06 up Dynas is garbage and needs upgraded to a $300.00 SE unit, and the 49mm damper rod forks are straight out of the early 1900s......The 6 speed transmission isnt anywhere near as strong or efficient as the 5 speed and shifts clunky compared to the 5 speed.

Last edited by parts eeter; 11-09-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:34 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,904 Likes on 861 Posts

You like vanilla, I like chocolate. You like black, I like white. You like apples, I like oranges.

Everybody likes their own things, doesn't mean anybody's wrong.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:53 AM
serviceguy85
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

02 fxdx for sure, idk why people would be so hesitant, 25k is not back, timken bearing bottom end, and cam chain shoes aren't that bad, if you are doing cams f it, though in 500 more and get the conversion with high flow oil pump and other goodies

Old 11-10-2014, 12:45 PM
fxdxlr8
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default piston speed

A "shorter stroke" doesn't equal anything 'better'...it just means faster to rev and that's all. I could say that I've got a weedeater two-stroke that's got your "shorter stroke" H-D beat by a million miles

Don't you get tired of being wrong.

Harley's long stoke gives it one of the highest piston speeds out there.
Imagine a 6000 rpm for easy math your piston has to travel an extra 1/4 inch a 100 times a second.
You don't think there is some longevity is a shorter stroke engine.
I believe the force exerted on the common crank pin is also less severe with a shorter stroke.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:06 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 831 Likes on 376 Posts

First time that fuel pump takes a **** will the EFI lovers be sitting on the side of the road still singing the praises of it? Lots of time to ponder how great that 6 speed is too while waiting for a tow truck.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:09 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts
Old 11-11-2014, 02:24 PM
BrandonP
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone. Getting a bit heated I guess.
I appreciate all the info and the responses.
FYI- As of right now I am waiting to finalize the deal but it seems too good to pass up on this...The 09 FXD for $6200.
-Bp

Old 11-11-2014, 05:45 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

You'll not regret the purchase. Everyone always second guesses themselves,, always wanting bigger, better, more,,,
But you made a good choice with the newer bike.

FWIW, shop the classifies here. I only joined a few weeks ago and have already found great deals on saddle bags, pipes and air cleaner for a stage 1 upgrade,, there's a lot of stuff folks are sharing at reasonable costs as they upgrade to different stuff or different bikes.
And do a ton of reading here too, there's enough info and experiances here to fill volumes of books

Quick Reply: Purchase Advice (2002 FXDX vs. 2009 FXD)