Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Club Bikes"

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 06:31 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhead.Chris
Now you have a problem with gay people?
I did a few times in the shower at the Hollywood YMCA gym. Learned to never pick up the soap if I dropped it.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 10-27-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:26 PM
RustyCage
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dun Roamin
I'm interested in the psychology of these things although, to be honest, I've never read any books on the subject. However, here's my take on things.

We, as human monkeys, spent the vast majority of our evolution in small to medium sized groups, villages or tribes and our brains have evolved to suit that scale best. Although life has accelerated hugely in the last 100 years, our brains are still stick in the village/tribal past (some more than others). We operate best on a village/tribal scale ... extended families of, say, 20 or so, villages or tribes of, say, 200 to 400.

There is actually science to support that and it's been demonstrated in companies, the Japanese are well known for this, the military; and MC Clubs. Keeping relative to MC Clubs, as this discussion started with mention of the dramatised version SoA, what they clearly do is appeal to this instinct is many ways through language and symbolism etc.

For me, this is why individuals can become hysterical over the death of one child or soldier in their extended tribe, but glaze over completely without concern when you tell them 6,000 children die of starvation every day in India. It's not racism, it's the limit of our village/tribal brain being able to understand the scale.

Then add to that another known phenomenon, our primitive brain's basic inability to tell the difference between something that is real, and something that it is seeing in some other medium, e.g. TV or the internet.

Again, this has been shown using MRI scanners etc. The same parts of the brain get lit up and although consciously we might remember that what we are watching is not real, a large part of our brain/endocrine system is operating as if it were real ... and this is why we get all sweaty handed and excited watching horror or war movies, or turned on by ****. A certain part of the message is going straight into to some older part of our brain and it is thinking that it is all real (some more than others).

Add the two parts together and 'Charming', or the internet websites we habituate, becomes "our village tribe".

We see 20 or 30 motorcycles all looking the same as those that have been powerfully imprinted on our primitive brain by the TV ... and all of a sudden "our village" is full of homosexuals riding around with massively extended T-Bars ... and we have to defend it from them!!! At which point we raise the village alarm to the other "men" in our village to run out and protect it from the new invaders.

I mean, it's not possible for the primitive brain to conceive 450,000 motorcycles are sold every year, that there are 8,500,000 registered and out of them only a tiny proportion might be own by T-ists ... "our village is under attack!!!".

Then add to that the feeling of patriarchal entitlement or "right" elder or alpha males feel they have to set the village religion, the code of behaviour, it's symbols and signs and their fear of losing power and influence as they get old.

You see, you man ... we are all Village People. And that is part of the problem with humanity.

Therefore, only one serious question remains ... do chicks dig guys with long T-Bars more than guys with big bags?

YMCA (Village People) - YouTube

FYI, Glenn Martin Hughes - the original "Biker" character in the disco group Village People - was actually a motorcycling enthusiast since before he became a performer, rode a Harley, kept his motorcycle parked inside his home and was buried in his leather outfit.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:44 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 757 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by Dun Roamin
I'm interested in the psychology of...****.
I took the liberty to shorten your entire post for space's sake but the whole post was very nicely written!

Old 10-27-2014, 08:26 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
I took the liberty to shorten your entire post for space's sake but the whole post was very nicely written!

Thanks for the condensed version. I was getting a headache trying to decipher the long version.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:43 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
Is this fad about over?
Let's see your bike-

Old 10-28-2014, 12:51 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
Wasn't trying to stir any pot. Just think since the SOA sitcom has been on, these bikes are everywhere. As far as the "building something different", I had to chuckle at that comment, since they all look alike.

Ten years ago, custom choppers were "in", now it's custom baggers. You may say that club bikes", i.e. bikes with t-bars and quarter fairings, have been around for 40 years, but I've been around a lot longer than that, and I don't remember EVER seeing any of those t-bar/1/4 fairing bikes any where in the '60's/'70's.
Wait until SOA is a distant memory, and I predict club bikes will be a distant memory also. Not a good thing or a bad thing, just a fact. I started this thread for your opinions, not to bash anyone's preferences. You won't hurt my feelings if you disagree with me!
I don't know where you were in the 60's/70's- probably not riding.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Racer_1978.jpg
http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/g.../BillyBike.jpg

Old 10-28-2014, 05:00 AM
Dun Roamin
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sling Blade NSAA
I don't know where you were in the 60's/70's- probably not riding.
Gahd!!! Billy Bikes ... is this fad for much too short throttle cables over yet?

"In my part of the world we critique each bikes all the time, and we let each other know if we don't like something ... and then we shoot 'em off the road".

Old 10-28-2014, 09:11 AM

i say this again, i'm in a club that's been around for 30 years. i see these guys a lot, and no one has this look to their bike, and even looking at the surrounding clubs i still don't see it. i have seen the vidoes of these west coast bikes and am thinking that since SOA is on tv promoting that style, that is why you're seeing more of them. They may have them more on the other side of the states, but not so much over here.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:50 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by IllusionBlue
i say this again, i'm in a club that's been around for 30 years. i see these guys a lot, and no one has this look to their bike, and even looking at the surrounding clubs i still don't see it. i have seen the vidoes of these west coast bikes and am thinking that since SOA is on tv promoting that style, that is why you're seeing more of them. They may have them more on the other side of the states, but not so much over here.
Exactly! You may have a east coast thing going on- I started out with a black wg, added a fairing after a few hundred mile rides in the desert and winter. T-bars came on the second thousand mile ride across our big azz states out here. I didn't give the SOA thing a thought as I made my bike better for real life, not bar hopping and posing.
http://www.yellowstonegate.com/wp-co...10-771x438.jpg

Old 10-28-2014, 11:24 AM
WMX124
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have yet to see a "club style" bike here in south FL.

Mostly baggers down here which actually makes a lot of sense. All the riding around here is straight, flat open road.

With that said, I like the club-style bikes. I see them as practical and well handling. I don't get why every one gets all emotional about the TV show promoting that style.

Quick Reply: "Club Bikes"