Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork Brace suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Jake88
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fork Brace suggestions

I can see where you guys with 16 inch wheels might not see much difference, but for the 21 inch Wide glide Front end it makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE!! The bike was all over place, very hard ride over bumps, and even felt squirrly at times. After the brace I noticed a night and day difference! Just my .02

Old 04-12-2007, 05:26 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a 05 wideglide and i put one on kury, and wasen`t impressed with the looks of anybrace on the front end i diden`t notice any difference, so i took it off, now having said that i went and put pro tech lowering springs witht the gold mod, and what a diff , i have over 7000 grand in upgrades and by far this is the best, the bike dose not wonder feels like a one piece, plus in my opion the less you put on the front of the wideglide the cleaner the look is i saw one with the brace and big lights, and it just looked silly but that is why we buy them for personal taste but seriously those springs make a BIG time diff

Old 04-13-2007, 12:09 AM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I totaly Agree!
ORIGINAL: Jake88

I can see where you guys with 16 inch wheels might not see much difference, but for the 21 inch Wide glide Front end it makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE!! The bike was all over place, very hard ride over bumps, and even felt squirrly at times. After the brace I noticed a night and day difference! Just my .02
[IMG]local://upfiles/20407/BE876FDA4CBC48ED9F77F6FDEEAA18AD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-13-2007, 09:52 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Rebel Ryder

ORIGINAL: ktm_scott

I notice the improvement the most when riding two-up. Be sure to jack the front wheel up when you install the brace.
why do you recommend such? I didn't and am curious?
Allows the brace to be secured to the forks in their natural/unstressed state with no weight or pressure. If the purpose of the brace is to reduce flex, you could argue that a degree of flex always exists with the weight of the bike on the forks. As such, locking the brace down with weight on the forks locks in that state of flex.

I've run for braces on my dirt bikes for years. They're similar to the Wide Glide with a narrow front tire and 49mm or better forks.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:21 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

This is what I have found to be true after installing my kury brace. The directions say nothing about installing with the front wheel up in the air, although what you are saying makes some sort of sense. I checked with a friend who is a bike mechanic and builder for a long time. He says it will make no real difference whether the wheel is up or not when installing it, so its like many other things, just an opinionated thing I suppose. I know mine, installed with the wheel down, has made a tremendous difference in the front end stability, so far.

ORIGINAL: Jake88

Old 04-13-2007, 11:40 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member

I like the SE brace. did make the front end feel a bit more stable. Also you can't have too much chrome.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12616/5E7D79DE536D4703AD283B6AFA11B692.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12616/2D8F8F7E3D9246FEB1811D8082629D73.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-14-2007, 04:18 AM
Azgunner
Tourer

I just put one on made by Custom Cycle Engineering. HD7585 I believe has one on his bike as you can see in his earlier post. Very nice piece. I haven't been able to give it a good testing though I did ride through one of our beautiful Phoenix dust storms on Thursday. I was pushing 90-100 mph trying to get home in a hurry. Except for being pushed around a little by the wind the bike felt very solid.

I'm going on a ride tomorrow through some very windy roads that should give me a better idea of how much of a difference the brace makes.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:39 AM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: wideglidebob

the gold mod, ... those springs make a BIG time diff
I have the Race Tech Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators, and a set of Race Tech springs, sitting in my garage right now!
I plan on getting them installed in the next week or so... can't wait.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:01 AM
Azgunner
Tourer

I've been able to ride a bit with the Custom Cycle Engineering fork brace & 99% of the high speed wobble in sweeping turns such as freeway transition ramps is gone. I usually do the freeway transitions at 75-80 mph if no one's in front of me. I also changed my stock Dunlop tire to a Metzler ME880 so I suspect that was causing a large part of the wobble.

The front-end does feel more solid with the fork brace. Once I change out the stock Dunlop tire on the front for a Metzler I have no doubt
the handling will be absolutely flawless.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:00 AM
timdow
Tourer

I gotta agree about with tireater:

Ithink the 49mm front end has put an end to the need for a fork brace...I think fork springs would be money better spent on 49mm front end...
Personally, I really like the look of it without the brace anyway. If I didn't have the 49mm front end, I would put it on though.

Quick Reply: Fork Brace suggestions