Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the red-dot light on the speedo for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 09:32 AM
thoner7
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whats the red-dot light on the speedo for?

2012 WG - Was riding at night and after 20 mins or so I looked down and noticed my speedo wasn't light up - it had gone dark. A few seconds later it was illuminated again and then a re dot light came on, which is just to the right of the base of the speedo needle.

What does this light mean? What could it be?

PS I do not have a security system

Last edited by thoner7; 10-13-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:41 AM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,879 Likes on 17,363 Posts

googled and found this from another forum. no idea if correct or not

I was on a group ride today. I have a 2012 Dyna Wide Glide. 40 miles into my ride the red indicator light on the speedometer turns on. I'm like, WTF over!?!?! So I am frantically looking, listening, touching (ouch! thats F'ing hot!), for anything that could be causing this, am I the only person that will imagine hearing problems that are not there? Anyways, we get to our destination, the light is still lit, but my scoot has not self-destructed or melted on the side of the road. I am checking my fuel pak connections to the ecm, the fuel pak codes, anything! I find nothing. The bike sounds fine and is running fine. I text my son in law who has a friend who used to be a parts manager for the local Harley dealer, he says its the security system, I dont have a security system, LOL.

After leaving the destination to start heading home, we stop for gas. Another rider notices that my low beam is out, but my high beam works, his wife makes a comment, maybe thats why the light is lit, I'm like, haha, that would be a neat trick! Well, it turns out, that is the case! I had turned off my bike with the switch in high beam position, when turning on the ignition, after the initial "all lights on" on the speedometer goes out, the red light is not coming back on, switch the light switch to low beam, and the light comes on!

Replaced the light and no more red light! Follwed up with a mechanic from HD, this is a function of the BCM "Body Control Module".

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-13-2014, 10:04 AM
thoner7
Tourer

I saw the same post. Not sure if that is my problem? I have been having issues with the V-Inner code but I thought I had corrected that. After a few weeks with no Vinner code this happened.

My headlight was working fine, but I will check again.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:09 AM
Boomer 63
6th Gear

Originally Posted by thoner7
I saw the same post. Not sure if that is my problem? I have been having issues with the V-Inner code but I thought I had corrected that. After a few weeks with no Vinner code this happened.

My headlight was working fine, but I will check again.
Be sure to check all your lights......I'm sure you will find one of them is out.

HTH,
Robert

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-13-2014, 12:47 PM
thoner7
Tourer

So could it be the speedo light then? After all it went out for a short time before coming back on....that is when the red dot light showed up.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:53 PM
Boomer 63
6th Gear

Originally Posted by thoner7
So could it be the speedo light then? After all it went out for a short time before coming back on....that is when the red dot light showed up.
I'm not sure which burned out lights will trigger that indicator. I remember my owners manual making a reference to check for a burned out light bulb, if that indicator was lit. Especially if you don't have the security system.

Now that I think about it, isn't the speedo light an LED? I doubt it would burn out as they have a long service life.

HTH,
RObert

Last edited by Boomer 63; 10-13-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:44 PM
Count Damoney
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have a DTC somewhere and should follow the troubleshooting steps in the service manual or bring it to a dealer. It could be any one of many things

Name:  1_zps4eca7c21.jpg
Views: 48832
Size:  72.8 KB

Last edited by Count Damoney; 10-13-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:19 PM
103inches
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

My experience agrees with Count's chart...I have a security enabled bike with the electronic key fob. As described in the chart, the red light flashes every 2 seconds or so when the system is armed. I have also observed the fast flashing in Pin entry mode. So far I don't have any DTCs...yet

Old 10-13-2014, 07:32 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

You have an electrical issues somewhere. Usually pertains to lights. Check them all and make sure both brake switches are functioning properly...

Old 10-14-2014, 08:09 AM
thoner7
Tourer

Well, I checked my lights and they were all fine. I found a tutorial on reading and clearing diagnostic codes so I tried that. I was throwing a code on the BCM and Speedo, the same code, B2272. I cleared the codes, rode the bike, and they didn’t come back, so I guess they were old?

Either way, according to this link: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...2272-code.html

DTC 2272= BCM or Speedometer voltage high. SO it may be my battery. That’s my guess, as it could be causing the V inner code and when I start my bike, the red battery light comes on briefly.

I’ve been meaning to get the battery load tested, but I wanted to see if I could last another month while the weather holds out.

Quick Reply: Whats the red-dot light on the speedo for?