Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clanking from primary - trans/clutch locking up...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 04:32 AM
GlobeWarmer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clanking from primary - trans/clutch locking up...

Have some issue with my bike that I can't figure out. This is kind of a preliminary post, as I haven't taken the primary off yet, but any guidance or suggestions is much appreciated though.
(About a month ago I put a Baker OD6 and Barnett Scorpion Lock-up clutch in my '02 FXDXT)

Here's what happened tonight:
Went on a little ride with a buddy; about an hour and a half out of town and back. On the way back I noticed what seemed like a very, very distant whine-type sound coming from the bike, it became real noticeable around 80 MPH, but could get it to slightly increase in volume as speed increased. At first I thought it was a whistle in my helmet, or off the fairing. While in 6th and attempting to downshift to 5th, I'd sometimes have to click-down twice in succession to actually get into 5th. Otherwise, it would stay in 6th. When we finally got off the freeway and mentioned it to my friend who said he noticed the sound too.

We ride about 3 blocks, I can get the faint whine-sound to happen at lower speeds; 40-45 MPH. No shifting issues or anything. We hit a stoplight, and when it turns green, I release the clutch, bike rolls forward a few inches and it just locks up. The whole bike just squats down and halts. Engine didn't stutter, or act weird - just, clutch out, clutch/transmission locks up and prevents any rolling forward whatsoever.

Pull in the clutch and push the bike onto the sidewalk, shut it off, scratch my head, we kick around thoughts on it, etc. Start it up, and everything seems OK. Manage to get it to my neighborhood, it makes a clank noise on the way, then another as I pull into the neighborhood.

When I get to my street I shut the bike off at about 30 MPH and coast home in Neutral. Almost immediately after going into neutral the clanking becomes more frequent - then it's constant as I roll into my driveway. Pulling in the clutch did nothing to stop the clanking.
Doesn't seem like it's the primary chain, because it wasn't constant until the last 10 seconds of being on the bike and it didn't sound like the chain slapping - not that I'm dismissing it as a possibility. It's also pretty weird that the bike was locking up when I was trying to get going previously.

Seems clutch related, but really, I don't have the slightest clue what could be going on. Tearing it down tomorrow.

Any thoughts or experience with something like this?

Old 10-12-2014, 08:01 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

If I were you, I would put this post in the HD Tech and Mechanical Forum - Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch. I know the Baker Forum rep helps out there all the time.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:22 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Based on your description, it sounds like your clutch is working...sounds more like some kind of tranny issue...but that is just a guess.

Good luck and keep us in the loop.