Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer overestimating labor

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014 | 02:51 AM
IornStreetBob
|
Advanced
Default Dealer overestimating labor

so went to my local harley dealer to see about getting my 12 inch t bars installed on my 14 FXDB. asked how long it would take to do..... all my cableing and stuff should just swap over..... quoted me 7 1/2 hours.... said he still had to extend the wiring..... anyone have any thoughts or comments because i fell like that estimate is way over what it should really take

Old 10-09-2014 | 05:21 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by IornStreetBob
so went to my local harley dealer to see about getting my 12 inch t bars installed on my 14 FXDB. asked how long it would take to do..... all my cableing and stuff should just swap over..... quoted me 7 1/2 hours.... said he still had to extend the wiring..... anyone have any thoughts or comments because i fell like that estimate is way over what it should really take
Do it yourself then you will see if it takes that long, that's what I do. You are talking $500 labor, really!

Old 10-09-2014 | 05:30 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member

sound about right, friend of mine just had is fun bike done...

16" apes on his 883 bobber and it was just over $900 for bars
cables/hose and install..

Old 10-09-2014 | 05:37 AM
RussH
Tourer

It depends, are you talking internally wired bars? Clutch,brake and throttle cables extended? Not sure if the stock cables will fly on a 12 in T-bar install. Then again ive never done a FXDB. But if you have to do all of that I could see the labor getting up there.

Old 10-09-2014 | 05:47 AM
Punty
Road Warrior

A Certified tech with all the tools at his disposal, a whole day to replace bars? RUN!!!

Old 10-09-2014 | 05:57 AM
RussH
Tourer

Originally Posted by Punty
A Certified tech with all the tools at his disposal, a whole day to replace bars? RUN!!!

Its more work then you think. And I personally would not like to have my ride "flat rated", that's how stuff gets broken or scratched.

Old 10-09-2014 | 06:38 AM
tomt
Road Master

Do it yourself.

Old 10-09-2014 | 06:39 AM
hAkron
Road Captain

I just added 12" apes to my FXDCI. I had to extend the wires, swap throttle, clutch, and front brake. I had to remove the tank to access the electrical and the pipes to access the clutch cable. Even the transmission needed to be drained and refilled.

None of it was particularly difficult, but it was a million little tasks. The dealer is probably giving you worst case, but honestly, I'm not very mechanically inclined and I was able to knock this job out over a couple of days, so if you have the inclination and access to tools, you might enjoy doing this swap on your own.

Old 10-09-2014 | 07:28 AM
mayhemmaster
Road Captain

Had mine done @ Dealer 4 hours labor, which would have taken me 4 weeks
Well Worth it for me to have them strip fairing Down, pull radio, remove gas tank, take seat off, drop exhaust i am told
8 hours seem extreme but whats the hourly rate ?? Up here its $90 hour

Old 10-09-2014 | 07:30 AM
zZeduardoZz
Cruiser

Dude I'm was on the same boat you were a few days ago.... Got quoted 8 hours by the dealer, so I was like f it i'll try and do it myself, youtubed a bunch of different videos, and took the plunge. I heard that the stock cables will fit a 12' riser, so I am doing it all myself, my handlebars will arrive today probably, I just have to go to the dealer and buy the poly bushings.

I already took off the stock ones without any problems, and i am not even that mechanic inclined, took me about an hour and a half taking it apart, should be just as easy putting it together. Just make sure you record what you think would be a problem and watch videos, there's a bunch online!

Quick Reply: Dealer overestimating labor