Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer overestimating labor

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014 | 07:36 AM
103bob
Cruiser

Was going to do them myself but after talking to my local shop im leaning more towards letting him tackle it. Regardless I was quoted 3 hours or less which is much cheaper rate than Harley also. I was told about 150 give or take 20 bucks dependent on unforeseen hiccups i.e. extending cables

Old 10-09-2014 | 07:45 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member

You do NOT need to extend your cabling for 12" Tbars on a 14 FXDB. You do not need to unpin the connectors for internal wiring either since they are smaller than the older models. Your dealer saw you coming and is charging you at least double what a reputable dealer or indy would charge for that job.

All that being said, if you can change your own oil (and I really hope you do if you like your bike clean), then you can handle a bar swap. The hardest part of internal wiring in the past was the connector pinning...you don't have that problem with 13 and up FXDBs. Just pull them out of the neck, unplug, then fish them through (see youtube for a demonstration). You will have plenty of cable for the job. I rerouted my clutch cable outside the tree because I didn't like how sharp the bend was inside the tree, but it will fit just fine stock.

Not saying it's easy your first time...you will get frustrated, but none of what you encounter is "hard." It's just tedious fishing cables through the bars, especially if you buy cheap and there's a lot of slag inside that will snag the wire as you fish it. Running a small chain through first will knock most of that free.

If you do this yourself, you'll get the additional benefit of knowing just how crooked your dealership is.

7.5 hours? F#cking shameful. Post that dealership's name so no one else gets screwed by them.

Old 10-09-2014 | 07:57 AM
zZeduardoZz
Cruiser

Hey squid, I live in Orlando, and they quoted me 8 hours also, went to an "Indy" two blocks down, quoted me 6, that's when I decided to say screw it, I'll do it my own

Old 10-09-2014 | 08:01 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Indy, Indy, Indy, Indy, Indy, Indy.................

and oh yeah Indy!

Of course your first option should be to do it yourself, but if you don't feel comfortable doing that, find yourself a good independent shop. You can't go wrong.

Old 10-09-2014 | 08:07 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by zZeduardoZz
Hey squid, I live in Orlando, and they quoted me 8 hours also, went to an "Indy" two blocks down, quoted me 6, that's when I decided to say screw it, I'll do it my own
Wise choice...I wonder if it's a California thing. Maybe locals here are more familiar with t-bars. 3 hours is the going rate.

Old 10-09-2014 | 08:08 AM
So-Cal Street Glide
Road Captain

MY local dealer quoted me 12 hours labor plus parts. I found a local indy that flat rated it for $400 and thats with taking a faring on and off and wire extensions. Added 14" to my FLHX. Do it yourself or find an indy, do not let the dealer rob you.

Old 10-09-2014 | 08:24 AM
Punty
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RussH
Its more work then you think. And I personally would not like to have my ride "flat rated", that's how stuff gets broken or scratched.
Seriously, I did mine in a few hours.

BTW the last time I brought any bike to a dealer for anything it came back with a broken fog light, scratches and filthy.

Its your money.

Old 10-09-2014 | 09:51 AM
zZeduardoZz
Cruiser

Here in Florida, you barely see any Club Style bikes, never seen it on the road, only seen it on a motorcycle event when I went to Tampa, I might be the only one in Orlando haha

Old 10-09-2014 | 10:08 AM
yerslow
Novice

I did exactly what you are doing. West Coast T Bars on a 14 FXDB. I'm very mechanical, but it was literally the first time I had touched a Harley with a wrench. Took me and a buddy 1.5 hours... Internal wiring and all. It couldn't be much easier. No connectors to de-pin or wires to lengthen, no surprise parts to buy. get a piece of string with a nut tied to the end to pull wires, a 3/4" socket on a 3/8ths drive, and a T25 torx bit. THAT'S IT!! Do it your self, you'll be glad you did.

Old 10-09-2014 | 12:18 PM
IornStreetBob
|
Advanced

Hey guys thanks for all the replies my situation I'm in a apartment complex so working on stuff gets harder and have limited tools was planning on pulling my bike inside my house for winter so working on it will be easier I hope

For those guys that have swapped to a 12 in westcoast t bar on the fxdb what kinda snafoos did you run into I suck at adjusting suff so so I need to re adjust my throttle cable? Stuff like that. The guy at the dealer said they would have to extend my wiring becuase the t bars are wider and he said they can get pulled and twisted if they don't have enough slack

I'm really on the fence about it part of me just wants to pay to have it done so I don't have to deal with it becuase I know something will come up mid swap

BTW the dealer is reno harley

Quick Reply: Dealer overestimating labor