Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Wax Chrome or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Wax Chrome or Not?

I use pledge on everything. Only the leather gets anything different.

Old 04-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Headwolf
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Simichrome on a set of chrome extended forks on my old Triumph. We didn't grease them when we slid them through the triple trees and the chrome got scuffed. Everytime I would clean the bike this would bug the **** out of me so I would rub and rub with Simichrome to try to get the scuffs out. Before long I noticed a slight discoloration of the chrome Started turning a goldish tint The more I rubbed the stronger the tint got before long I realized I had rubbed through the chrome and the brass tubes underneath were starting to show through Lesson: Simichrome is pretty abrasive and will take your chrome off if you use it too much Was back when I was young and dumb Well now I am older and ..... oh you know.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:55 PM
rrockefe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've used nothing but Windex for years.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:38 PM
dastark
Road Master

I like to wax. Only on rainy days though. Mothers or Maguires. Lots of chrome polishes have abrasives in them so I dont like to use too often. m.o.

Old 05-04-2006, 09:23 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm with rrockefe. When I am detailing my bike I use Windex on the chrome. I would never use a chrome cleaner or polish that was at all abrasive. Chrome wears off too easily.

Old 05-05-2006, 04:06 AM
Original Junior
Road Master

Mothers cleaner wax. Windex for the "light" cleaning of the paint (denim black).

Old 06-04-2006, 04:33 AM
Biggy J
Stage II

I wash and polish my sporty and fatboy at least once a month. I start by washing with the Harley Sunwash, then I blow dry it, then I use my Acohol/distilled water mixture spray, and finish it off using harley glaze on paint and all chrome. I have done this on my both bikes. Sporty (13000 miles) for 3 years and the Fatboy (31000 miles) for 5 years and they both still look new.

Biggy J

Old 07-06-2006, 12:02 AM
Angry_Inch
Road Master

Not a fan of wax on chrome. Especially engine parts and exhaust.. my reasoning is simple. Most waxes will start to burn at 250 degrees if not less, leaving a residue that would probably cause some discoloration.

Surely someone is going to tell me I am incorrect, or they have been waxing pipes forever, but hey.. I am standing by my logic.

Old 07-06-2006, 12:37 AM
ScooterGuitar
Tourer

It very well can and does cause disolcoration on some parts, specifically I have heard on hot exhaust tips (cars), but no always. OVerall, it if you a straight caranuba formula high quality wax, it should be ok. Yes, it will burn off fairly quick, but it doe slook good until it does! Now, there are waxes made for extreme temps I am beginning to experiment with, also waxes designed for wheels rated at higher burn rates.
I still am adament about the fact, use a good quality sealer on your metal guys and you will like the results, two of them being: resists dirt/dust better and that dirt will come off A LOT easier when you go to clean. Also, they make it "pop" or shine more.

Old 07-19-2006, 03:09 AM
Desighitter
Stage IV

No, No, No.... You don't wax chrome, you clean it! Use straight alcohol (not the drinkin' kind) and wipe it down. It evaporates completely and leave the natural shine. Buff it lightly with something non-abrasive and there ya go.

Quick Reply: Wax Chrome or Not?