Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Wax Chrome or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 09:54 AM
MuddyXL
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wax Chrome or Not?

ORIGINAL: Grover

Be careful of chrome polishes, many are abrasive. Use a non abrasive chrome cleaner.
Ditto. My cousin used nevr-dul on his chrome every time he cleaned his bike and wore right through the chrome in a couple places.

Old 11-30-2005, 07:24 PM
3Dog
Tourer

I use polishing soap and then a sealant every couple of months. In between I just QD with the rest of the bike.

Old 01-04-2006, 05:06 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Mother's Chrome Polish - it also takes away minor pipe bluing.

Old 01-14-2006, 01:23 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I formerly used Never-dull on my chrome, but everytime you touched it, it left fingerprints. I saw an ad on line of polish testing on motorcycles. Perform a search for Maas polish and you can find it. I went to local auto parts and had them order some. He is selling it because of all the bikers and auto detailers buying it. I bought the spray cleaner in a can, (did not spray directly on bike, but on rag) to remove old never-dull. then I used the rub on polish, then the rub on brightener-protectant. I never seen chrome shine like that. The add says can be used on painted surfaces also. I did my fenders and tank. What a shine. My bike is 8 years old 95th anniversary Wide Glide. Outshines my buddies new bikes.

Old 01-14-2006, 06:40 PM
3Dog
Tourer

Just found a company call Gords..they have a chrome polish with sealants built in.
Also wax will disappear at a little over 300 degrees, so putting it on pipes will only last till you ride.

Old 01-15-2006, 12:52 PM
RKC103
4th Gear

Thought I would share my recent experience with a new product.
In the past I used a glass cleaner to lightly buff and clean the chrome on my bike (I went overboard on the chrome). I try to wipe it down after every ride so I don't have a major cleaning project on my hands.
Recently had a bud tell me about a pre-moistened cloth that comes in a dispeser can like the glass cleaning products and protectants. This cloth is impregnated with a diluted amount of Simple Green. IT WORKS GREAT! No streaks, disolves any grease, bugs, and one heck of a shine. Just clean with the simple green cloth and wipe off with a clean towel.
I have never waxed the chrome on my bike because it would be a major undertaking, but I occasionally use the spray on wipe off wax products and they give the chrome a film of protection (beads the rain).

I'm new and enjoy alll your posts!

Old 01-15-2006, 09:26 PM
8 UP
Cruiser

As I'm assembling parts that are chromed I allways wax the pieces with A good quality wax like Mothers.
After It's up and on the road and needs cleaning I use Windix or some outher glass cleaner.
Chrome polish works well after that.

Old 01-16-2006, 01:07 AM
3Dog
Tourer

I to believe window cleaners are great on chrome...but remember.window cleaners with a form of alcohol in it will remove wax.Water and alcohol mix is something detailers use to check their work and make sure there are no fillers hiding scratches.
ORIGINAL: 8 UP

As I'm assembling parts that are chromed I allways wax the pieces with A good quality wax like Mothers.
After It's up and on the road and needs cleaning I use Windix or some outher glass cleaner.
Chrome polish works well after that.

Old 01-23-2006, 11:16 AM
Thundercloud
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

I was told by a guy who built show cars that you should never wax your chrome as wax starts to break down and allow water to get into it and then cause surface rust if left for too long. I'm not sure how true this is, but this guy had been around for years restoring cars.

I just use the S-100 polishing soap, I wet the bike down, and using the sponge that comes with the S-100 I lather up the chrome a little at a time and then rinsing with water as I go. Then I wash the entire bike with Meguires NXT Soap and go over all the chrome with that as well and then rinse. The water beads up on the chrome and when you hit it with a blower it is gone. You might need to wipe a few places with a Microfiber Towel just to make sure you have all the water off. But I have just always been leery of using a true wax on any chrome since that guy told me that.

Just my opinion )

Old 02-03-2006, 12:16 PM
hddeluxe
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I learned long ago (some 25 yrs) from a man that been Chroming parts for Show- and veteran/vintagecars since the fifties that chrome should be waxed!
He had a secret formula that he shared with me... Pay attention now guys! He took some bee's wax melted it into a cup, added some 10 to 15 % carosin and let it cool of. You then have a lump-or bar or whatever shape your cup had of his secret formula.

The magic is that bee wax is the only wax that is fine enogh to penetrate the very hard smooth surface of chrome. All other stuff stays on top of it!

The way to apply it is to use a hairdryer or similar to warm the part that should be waxed, it should feel warm but not hot!
Then you take the wax bar and attach wax and use what I think is called elbow grease over in the US. If needed add some more warmth to make it easier to 'smear' it out and polish it until it's crystal clear.

This can be done during off season, and then it's enogh to gently clean it during the season using only stuff that you like to use on your own skin. If you have tough riding conditions with a lot of rain and wash your ride very often, don't be afraid to put on some ordinary wax. It's better to have 'on top' than not at all. The man told me that wax can NEVER destroy chrome. But acid rain or salt that sticks on chrome can penetrate and cause the metal to corrode from inside.

Hopfully my english is understandably, otherwise just ask, and I'll try to clarify better.

Quick Reply: Wax Chrome or Not?